Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default exciting hunting pa

I want to hunt something exciting like cougar or bear or boar but know nothing about hunting at all. Can anyone give me like a starters guide

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: exciting hunting pa

Quote Originally Posted by nathaniel.seacat View Post
    I want to hunt something exciting like cougar or bear or boar but know nothing about hunting at all. Can anyone give me like a starters guide
    Good luck except with the bear. There are some of those around in the more mountainous areas. Wild boar have been somewhat hard to locate in PA unless you know a place they frequent and Cougar in PA are still somewhat a myth. My advise is start off with something less dangerous like deer or small game, throw in some bird hunting, and that will get your blood flowing. After you get some experience in the woods, then go for the bear and pigs. All I know, is a wounded boar is about as dangerous as a bear. BE CAREFUL.
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3339&dateline=1300221  289

(Philadelphia County)

The danger I'm aware of, I'm not totally urban but have never hunted anything but squirrel as a minor.

(Lancaster County)

Well first off, I wouldn't use anything smaller than a .30 caliber for a bear. Minimum of a .308. Preferably a .30-06 or something of that sort. I would like to get a .338 federal just for larger game in the US. Second off, you have to know where to hunt them. I don't hunt bear, but I hunt deer and up state I know the bear hang out near the deer. I have only seen one bear up there, and it was deep in the woods, I think they frequent areas with small trout streams and such also. As for boars and cougars, I don't know where to hunt them or find them. I have seen one couqar or Mtn. Lion in PA, but I have no photos or video, so I might as well just be blowing dust out my ass.

Try to find someone you work with or are friends with who hunt bear, and have them show you the ropes and help you scout out a few spots. You won't catch me hunting them on the ground, unless I am precisely aware of where there is a bear and am stalking him. Other wise from what I know, it is a waiting game, kind of like deer hunting.
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3339&dateline=1300221  289

(Jefferson County)

Legally you dont hunt boar in PA, you shoot them incidentally while lawfully hunting something else that is in season. In short, you have to be legally hunting a lawful species, while that species is in season, to kill a boar. This is to keep from driving the boar around even more.

Officially there aren't any mountain lion in PA. However there are reports of them. I have uncles that have seen them in this area. Should there be some cougars/puma/mountain lions here - they would be protected from being hunted and illegal to kill.

Bear, which is the only critter mentioned that you can legally "hunt", you need a decent firearm. You will want penetration versus expansion. This is when you will wont a bigger diameter bullet to begin with to make a bigger hole, but has enough mass to promote penetration rather than expanding.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

Since you're new to hunting, I would suggest looking into a hunting preserve where you pay for what you kill, but are pretty much guaranteed to shoot something. A few years ago, before I started hunting, I went with my father to the Tioga Hunting Preserve to hunt boar. It's not the same as regular hunting, but it is still fun and you get some guaranteed excitement. They also have some exotic animals you can look into hunting, like rams, mountain goats, elk, and buffalo, thought the prices get pretty steep.

My other suggestion would be to take up bounty hunting. From what I've heard, nothing quite beats the thrill of hunting people.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by NShortino View Post
    My other suggestion would be to take up bounty hunting. From what I've heard, nothing quite beats the thrill of hunting people.
    But you need to ask yourself "Do I look good in leather pants?"

Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by NShortino;

This, I like.

(Lancaster County)

seacat, contact straightpineelkanddeer.com they can put you on a boar hunt ,right here in Pa. It's a great place to hunt boar. They are located in Middleburg Pa. about an hour NW of Harrisburg. hope this helps.

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by NShortino View Post
    I have been doing it for 15 years. Nothing like it. It is even more exciting because I am the Bail Bondsman, so, if I catch them it is a blast. If I do not, it costs me big. Had one run a few months ago on a $50,000 bond. I had 20 days to catch him or lose $50K. Now that is exciting.

I am also a Private Detective and surveillance is another fun thing. Some of them anyways. Others, not so much.

One more thing. I work Retail Loos Prevention. I swear, that is exactly like hunting over bait. Caught a guy a little while ago, just got out after 20 years for Murder. Boy, oh boy, he did not want to be caught

Be safe (and remember, "There is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else ...).

Scott

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast