Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Chester County)

Default Scope for a 50cal

What scopes will hold up to the recoil of the 50ca? Is there a PDC scope for the 50cal? What would you recomend?

Thanks Larry

Default Re: Scope for a 50cal

I have a Nikon Monarch 4-16 mildot with Leupold MKIV rings I got used for 200 bucks on my Barrett 99 that I only planned to keep on it until I saved up enough to buy another Leupold MKIV 8.5-25. 400 round later that Nikon still sits on top of it, and is still dead on. I've only shot it out to 500 yds, but it still has yet to let me down and can't bring myself to take it off. Nightforce makes a real nice rifle toppers, I have an 8-32 NSX on top of a 300wm, and is built like a tank. I've never owned one but, from what I've read, IOR scopes are supposed to be pretty good and have a good warranty for big calibers as well, should something happen. Although they are not cheap themselves (IOR, Leupold, and Nightforce) the do not come with the wallet busting pricetag of say US Optics, or S&B. I guess I have been lucky so far with my Nikon, we'll see if she can make it through another summer.

(Beaver County)

I have a Nightforce 5.5-22x56. 50 rated and has taken the punishment of my 50 Beowulf for 2 years now w/o ever needing adjusted. Granted the Beowulf is not nearly as angry as 50 BMG but its quite abusive w/o a muzzle brake. I know military uses Nightforce but not all of their scopes on there site are 50 cal certified last time I looked. Only problem is the price. Like having a few mortgage payments on top your gun.
    www.Steelvalleycasting.com is your new home for coated bullets and custom ammo.

(Lancaster County)

If you spent the money on a .50 then you should spend the money on a scope capable of hanging with that guns effective range/ability/quality. I would go with either a Nightforce, or a Leuy Mark 4. Maybe even a really nice, really expensive Swarovski or Zeiss. Don't forget Leica either. Some of the best quality scopes, and you also have to look at the warranty too, due to the .50 BMF'r I mean BMG. It packs a good punch.
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3339&dateline=1300221  289

(Lebanon County)

I have shot a few different scopes on my 50bmg. A couple of friends also have 50s and the scopes vary from high end glass (MarkIV, NF, USO, March) to Sightmark. None of the scopes have had any issues.

Most good optics companies scopes will handle 50BMG as most 50BMG rifles have some sort of muzzle brake which helps tame recoil.

I'd be more concerned about having enough elevation adjustments to shoot extreme long range. Make sure your optics has 100+ MOA or 36 mrads worth of adjustments.

Not sure what your budget is but I'd say the SS 16X or SS20X at $300 would be the least expensive.