Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Which .22 should I get?

The title says it all. I want to add a couple more .22s to my collection. I already have 3 but I was thinking about getting 3 more. A semi-auto pistol, a AR style .22lr, and a bolt action.

For the semi-auto pistol I was mainly thinking either a Ruger MK2/MK3 or a Browning Buckmark. Not sure which one yet or which model to get.

For AR style I was thinking probably a M&P15-22 MOE or getting a Ruger 10/22 and getting the Promag Marauder kit.

For the bolt action rifle I was thinking a CZ 452 or 455. Again I don't know which model to get but I was thinking American and I'm not sure which caliber to get. I was thinking maybe .22WMR. I'm still not sure about the .17HMR.

All suggestions are appreciated.

(Crawford County)

Default Re: Which .22 should I get?

I just bought an M&P15-22 and could not be happier. It is surprisingly accurate for what it is. I think S&W has got most of the FTF/FTE issues addressed. I have ran federal, remington, & winchester bulk through it without an issue. I have also ran subsonics through it without an issue. Oh and a 25 round mag is only $20 most places you go to. A big plus there too.

You can't go wrong with any of the guns you listed above.

For a bolt action, I highly recommend a Marlin 25N. Out of all my quasi expensive toys, this $125 .22LR is my favorite. It's dead nuts accurate and seems to eat up any ammo I can throw at it. The one drawback is the mags are expensive. $15-17 for a 7rd mag, on average. On the bright side, it shares mags with the Marlin 995, so if you go that route for a semi auto rifle, then you're in better shape.

(Allegheny County)

That Marlin doesn't look that bad for the money. Those Savage MKIIs look pretty nice too but I think my heart is set on the CZ for some reason. I think I will go with the S&W MOE because I wanted the real one in the first place so I can settle for the .22 version of it instead. The only reason I recommended the 10/22 is because I feel that I should own one of them some day because there is such a huge aftermarket for them. I'm still not sure what .22 pistol I'm going to get.

(Bucks County)

You have good taste!

For the pistol, go with the Buckmark. I have one and love it. The ergos are superior and its just a sexier gun than the Ruger's, IMO.

Can't speak much on an AR-22 other than I have a 10/22 and it works great. However if I wanted to have an AR style .22 I would not recommend a 10/22 because the controls will never be the same as a real AR, and factory high-cap mags are not available. Even the most expensive aftermarket 10/22 mags are of questionable quality.

Can't really speak on the bolt gun but I REALLY want a CZ452!

Quote Originally Posted by bac0nfat View Post
    Can't really speak on the bolt gun but I REALLY want a CZ452!
    I don't.

I already got mine.

(Philadelphia County)

The CZ 452 is great. I've got the Trainer model. Once I handled one all the other pending purchases on my 'want list' had to move a step back.

One of the few .22s made today that will probably outlast your grandkids.

Most of the Savages and Marlins are good shooters too but not as solid feeling.

Other nice bolt action .22s to look out for: Ruger 77/22, CMP's Kimber 82s, Older Winchesters...

(Chester County)

ive gotta add the Sig 522 to the list for semi auto rifles.

(Jefferson County)

Dont overlook a good pump .22 also. Winchester made the model 62 many years ago, then back in the '80s thru early 2000's Rossi made a copy. Taurus then picked up where Rossi left off for a couple years.

My dad has a Rossi repro and I have the Taurus repro of the old Winny design. They are superb shooters, and you can use one like an Amish machinegun. ...just hold trigger and pump as fast as you can. They are plenty accurate with any ammo I've shot through them.

My fiancee's son like my Taurus knock-off over my Marlin 60 and my Stag M4 carbine.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Allegheny County)

What pistol should I get?

Browning or Ruger? Which One?

Target vs Hunter?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast