Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Question 18" bbl'd SPR glass recommendations?

Looking for some 18" 5.56 SPR optic recommendations, for a set of nominally tired and astigmatic eyeballs.

As far as the astigmatism goes, the fewer 'dancing dots' the better (i.e. "mildots," "BDC" dots, et.al.). The Trijicon Accupoint TR24 series look intriguing, but I've heard they're optimized for 16" and 20" rifles - NOT 18" bbl'd offerings. If anyone knows anything different, I'd love to hear it.

I'm not looking to reach out TOO far and put the touch on something - 300-500m at most. I really don't have a field of vision even that long (should the SHTF), unless I get on my roof here in the urban cessmaze, so I'm not looking to set any long-distance records here. Just something with an UN-cluttered reticle, for a moderate distance shot.

Would LOVE to have an S&B optic, but for all practical purposes, I'm hoping I can hold the glass cost to $1k or less. Thanks!

(Centre County)

Default Re: 18" bbl'd SPR glass recommendations?

why wouldn't you want a graduated reticle?

The nice thing about an SPR is how quickly you can engage targets at assorted ranges beyond 300 yards with a graduated reticle scope. And you can do it without making windage and elevation adjustments if you need to shoot fast. To top it off, you might need that reticle to estimate range in order to make a hit.

It just makes sense.

I'm running a 3.5-10 power leupold Mk4 mil dot scope on mine. I have a small chart on the inside of the rear scope cap that I can quickly reference all of my holdovers out to 600 yards.

FWIW I have a really bad astigmatism.

(Allegheny County)

Thumbs up Re: 18" bbl'd SPR glass recommendations?

Quote Originally Posted by arrrrgh15 View Post
    why wouldn't you want a graduated reticle?
    Looking at them, they appear... complicated.

Like anything they'll need understanding, and then practice - certainly things I can DO. I'm more partial to the Mk.IV CQ/T circle-dot arrangement, for simplicities sake, as "busy" reticles tend to blur on me.

The nice thing about an SPR is how quickly you can engage targets at assorted ranges beyond 300 yards with a graduated reticle scope. And you can do it without making windage and elevation adjustments if you need to shoot fast. To top it off, you might need that reticle to estimate range in order to make a hit.
    That does sound attractive. I'd be willing to investigate that further.

I'm running a 3.5-10 power leupold Mk4 mil dot scope on mine. I have a small chart on the inside of the rear scope cap that I can quickly reference all of my holdovers out to 600 yards.
    Yowza - you're making it sound complicated again!

FWIW I have a really bad astigmatism.
    That's encouraging! Send me the specs (Mdl.#) on your scope, and I'll look it over! Thanks!

(Centre County)

it's the 3.5-10x 40mm, M3 knobs, with illuminated mildot reticle. Not sure what model # it is. I'm probably going to be swapping it out with one of the smaller mid range models here shortly to cut down on the bulk.

The SPR is a precision type weapon capable of hits at exteneded ranges. You don't want to put a CQ type optic on it. Some back up iron sights if the scope goes down but that's it.

(Allegheny County)

I'm going to test out a Leupold Mark AR 3x9 on my spr build for a little while. The are inexpensive scopes and it should hold me over for a while until I decided what I really plan on doing with the rifle. Nice thing is that they come with BDC dial.

Hopefully I will be able to test it out in the next 30 days.
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    If the police could confiscate all of your guns and ammo using just one van, then you didn't own enough guns or ammo.
    WTB - NDS3 or NDS1 receiver FTF

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by mojo View Post
    I'm going to test out a Leupold Mark AR 3x9 on my spr build for a little while. The are inexpensive scopes and it should hold me over for a while until I decided what I really plan on doing with the rifle. Nice thing is that they come with BDC dial.

Hopefully I will be able to test it out in the next 30 days.
    Or one of these...

The M3 knobs have a BDC for 5.56. Even though it says it's callibrated for 55gr 5.56, the course 1moa adjustments make it close enough for 77gr 5.56.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by arrrrgh15 View Post
    Or one of these...

The M3 knobs have a BDC for 5.56. Even though it says it's callibrated for 55gr 5.56, the course 1moa adjustments make it close enough for 77gr 5.56.
    Now I will be the first to admit that I don't know about all the options on Leupold scopes.

From my understanding, you can get BDC dials for a number of their scopes. I know the Mark 4 and I'm guessing other ones.

But a 3.5x10 Mk4 with a mildot reticle is about $1000.00
    The 3x9 Mk AR with a mildot reticle is about $300.00

I would would rather play with a $300 vs $1000 scope anytime*.

* I'm sure if I bought the Mk4 it wouldn't go to waste. I would find something to use it with.
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    If the police could confiscate all of your guns and ammo using just one van, then you didn't own enough guns or ammo.
    WTB - NDS3 or NDS1 receiver FTF

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by mojo View Post
    Now I will be the first to admit that I don't know about all the options on Leupold scopes.

From my understanding, you can get BDC dials for a number of their scopes. I know the Mark 4 and I'm guessing other ones.

But a 3.5x10 Mk4 with a mildot reticle is about $1000.00
    The 3x9 Mk AR with a mildot reticle is about $300.00

I would would rather play with a $300 vs $1000 scope anytime*.

* I'm sure if I bought the Mk4 it wouldn't go to waste. I would find something to use it with.
    I was just pointing out that the BDC knobs are handy for the SPR. Whether its the 3x9 or the mk4. Personally I wouldn't put a mk4 3.4-40, 40mm scope on the rifle but it's what I have. It's a little much for a rifle that should be fairly compact, easy to lug around, but able to make good hits beyond carbine range.

I'd go smaller and the 3x9 AR with BDC would be pretty handy.

(Berks County)

Do you wear glasses?
    If so:
    Single lens, Bi Focal, Trifocals?
    Standard or Progressive?

(Allegheny County)

Red face Re: 18" bbl'd SPR glass recommendations?

Quote Originally Posted by Guns & Glass View Post
    Do you wear glasses?
    If so:
    Single lens, Bi Focal, Trifocals?
    Standard or Progressive?
    Single lens currently - vision is about 20/450 for each eye, corrected to 20/20. I've NEEDED to have an eye exam for close to two years now - I have to take my glasses off to do close-up/detail work, so most likely that means bi-focals. I keep putting it off though.