Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lawrence County)

Default new 870 not picking up new shell after the shot

just purchased a new 870 camo turkey express with a 21" barrel and extra full extended choke. prob i'm having is after 1st shot the fore end kicks almost if not the way back i can pull it rest of way back , kick out spent shell , push for end ahead , only to find out it did not pick up new shell , but if i push fore end ahead a little after the shot then pull it back it kicks out shell and picks up new shell and chambers it. could i for lack of better words be limp wristing the fore end? i was using kent ulyimate 1 3/4 ounce #4 shot turkey loads. didn't have any low base shells on hand to try them so i don't know if it would do it with all shells or just these hard hitting shellsl
    thanks for any help
    dale

Default Re: new 870 not picking up new shell after the shot

Quote Originally Posted by coalman View Post
    just purchased a new 870 camo turkey express with a 21" barrel and extra full extended choke. prob i'm having is after 1st shot the fore end kicks almost if not the way back i can pull it rest of way back , kick out spent shell , push for end ahead , only to find out it did not pick up new shell , but if i push fore end ahead a little after the shot then pull it back it kicks out shell and picks up new shell and chambers it. could i for lack of better words be limp wristing the fore end? i was using kent ulyimate 1 3/4 ounce #4 shot turkey loads. didn't have any low base shells on hand to try them so i don't know if it would do it with all shells or just these hard hitting shellsl
    thanks for any help
    dale
    after you eject the fired shell STOP. Look down and make sure a new shell came from the magazine tube. I am guessing this is not happening, because I can't think of a way that the elevator would not put one into the chamber when you close the action.
    Jules

(Lawrence County)

i did and that is whats happening , shell still in magazine,

That is rare for a 870 or any quality shotgun. Are you full stroking the pump handle so that it fully cycles?

try just loading two rounds and cycle them through the pump action then try 5 or 7 a full mag, then at a suitable area fire the shotgun one round at a time slowly. Its so rare that a 870 would have this problem, but anything made by man can malfunction.

If all else fails take it back or if you can't take it to a gun smith.

(Monroe County)

Im thinkin maybe the spring or follower is hung up on something. Or maybe the stop is stuck.
    Last edited by CHEMICAL; January 31st, 2011 at 08:24 PM. Reason: spelling

My friend's 870 and my Mossberg 500 do this sometimes with the Remington Hypersonic shells. My guess is that the action moves too quickly to the rear, and the shell doesn't have time to move past the two catches at the end of the tube. Both of these guns to this if you don't brace against the recoil properly, and probably has something to do with the dual-charge system those shells use.

My suggestion would be to try some low-brass target shells. If it still does it with these, something is wrong with the gun. Otherwise, try a different turkey load. It could just me the shell/gun not working together.

(Lawrence County)

thanks to all, i talked to a guy at work who does a lot of shotgun hunting and he said pretty much same thing as jokus said. i was remembering that my nova did samething when it was new when using 3.5" turkey loads. i appreciate all the input.
    dale

(Northampton County)

The action on those pump guns only works as fast as you pull the fore-end - it has nothing to do with the power of the shells. Short stroking or a gummed up cartridge stop are the most common causes of that problem - short of a mechanical defect in the contact of the bolt release lever with the cartridge stop.
    Jim Hauff H&R Collector In memory of my friends Bill Goforth and Jim Ritchie.

Quote Originally Posted by 32 Magnum View Post
    The action on those pump guns only works as fast as you pull the fore-end - it has nothing to do with the power of the shells. Short stroking or a gummed up cartridge stop are the most common causes of that problem - short of a mechanical defect in the contact of the bolt release lever with the cartridge stop.
    Uh huh...key word being "pump".

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by jokusfocus View Post
    My friend's 870 and my Mossberg 500 do this sometimes with the Remington Hypersonic shells. My guess is that the action moves too quickly to the rear, and the shell doesn't have time to move past the two catches at the end of the tube. Both of these guns to this if you don't brace against the recoil properly, and probably has something to do with the dual-charge system those shells use.My suggestion would be to try some low-brass target shells. If it still does it with these, something is wrong with the gun. Otherwise, try a different turkey load. It could just me the shell/gun not working together.
    Yep, tell it here! FOCUS!
    Jim Hauff H&R Collector In memory of my friends Bill Goforth and Jim Ritchie.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast