Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
    (Dauphin County)

Default exposed hammer gun vs. striker fired gun

I pretty much had my sites set on purchasing a M&P 40, when the money was right. My dad (old school) is not a fan of the plastic guns, and currently owns a beretta 96 something. Anytime I mention a striker fired gun he shakes his head, and says "i don't know, I still like the hammer design". I've seen a couple mentions that the new striker designs are super reliable, but not much more. WHat are the differences, and if i was to carry in vehicle with one in the chamber, which would be considered "safer" ? i know you can decock a hammer gun, but it i am not all familiar with its operations. Basically I am now considered a sig 226, because of his negativity. I am just a little turned off by the sigs price

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: exposed hammer gun vs. striker fired gun

Modern striker fired pistols, like the Glock, M&P, XD, etc. Are perfectly safe to carry with a round chambered. They have internal safety features that make it almost impossible for the weapon to fire unless the trigger is pulled. The M&P and XD can be had with a manual thumb safety as well, for added piece of mind.
    Striker fired, or hammer, keep your finger off the trigger until ready to fire, and practice safe weapon handling and you'll be fine.
    Search Youtube for some decent videos of the internal function and firing cycle of Glocks and other striker fired pistols. Gives some good insight into their form/function.
    Last edited by DBZ220; January 30th, 2011 at 06:39 PM.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by hsw55 View Post
    Anytime I mention a striker fired gun he shakes his head, and says "i don't know, I still like the hammer design".
    That's pretty much the best reasoning you'll get from anyone. There's no advantage to having an exposed hammer.

(Franklin County)

Both striker and hammer are good designs, just different. Secure your weapon in a GOOD holster and you should be problem free !

Striker fired pistols are just as reliable as external hammer. Look at Glock. I have a Taurus 24/7 Pro with almost 9000 rds, and have yet to have to use a second pull or eject due to FTF. A lot of guys like to be able to decock their weapon by letting the hammer down slowly with one hand, It keeps the other hand free. Pistols with a decocker lever (even external hammer pistols) tend to take two hands to decock (can be a disadvantage), but the external hammer guns can be done by the hammer and trigger with one hand, as said. It is really the only advantage I can think of. Glock is striker fired and it doesn't even have a decocker. With the trigger system it uses, it doesn't need one.
    Last edited by harold63; January 30th, 2011 at 07:50 PM.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by 300WM View Post
    A lot of guys like to be able to decock their weapon by letting the hammer down slowly with one hand, It keeps the other hand free. Pistols with a decocker lever (even external hammer pistols) tend to take two hands to decock (can be a disadvantage), but the external hammer guns can be done by the hammer and trigger with one hand, as said.
    Why would you even need to decock in a hurry with only one hand?

Hammer guns? Hello early 1900s.

(Venango County)

Striker fired pistols are just as reliable as external hammer. Look at Glock. I have a Taurus 24/7 Pro with almost 9000 rds, and have yet to have to use a second pull or eject due to FTF. A lot of guys like to be able to decock their weapon by letting the hammer down slowly with one hand, It keeps the other hand free. Pistols with a decocker lever (even external hammer pistols) tend to take two hands to decock (can be a disadvantage), but the external hammer guns can be done by the hammer and trigger with one hand, as said. It is really the only advantage I can think of. Glock is striker fired and it doesn't even have a decocker. With the trigger system it uses, it doesn't need one.
    One small nitpick, sorry......I do not see the advantage in being able to perform an unsafe act...other than looking cool when you thumb the hammer back....JMO.....

Glock Pistols.......So simple a Caveman could fix them!

I have a Beretta and to decock it all I do is flip the safety on and it decocks, one handed. I am not sure why it would take two hands. I would never pull the trigger and thumb the hammer down. I am sure I could do it for about 1000 times safely, but on the 1001 try........... boom.

(York County)

Both are safe as everyone has said. A Bersa thunder pro 9 UC can be had for under 400. And it has a hammer and decocker/safety. Might be worth a look if sig is too expensive. Guns are simular.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast