Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Default Re: exposed hammer gun vs. striker fired gun

Before I post this, let me say that I am of the tap rack mentality if I have a failure to fire. I have trained that way for years and it comes without thought. Chances are, if you hit the primer and the round does not fire, it isn't going to do it on the second or third try, and you would have been better off getting a new round into the chamber. With that being said, some people have indicated to me that they like a DA/SA, DAO firearm for re-strike capabilities in the event of a failure to fire. Again, this is not an issue for most people who have been properly trained, but it seems there is a small group who this matters to. I switched a few years back from a DA/SA Sig to Glock, and from a tactical standpoint, think the Glock better fits the bill. If I only took the firearm to the range, then I would have the Sig. It not only fit my hand better, but was much nicer in my opinion to shoot.
    Jules

(Venango County)

Quote Originally Posted by 300WM View Post
    Are you guys saying that no one in the military or LEO have never decocked a Beretta with one hand while they were carrying something in their left hand, or over their shoulder. Hey, maybe I'm wrong. Never really thought about whether it is cool or not. Do people think it is cool to do it?
    Not at all, I just meant I don't see being able to pull the trigger while slowly releasing the hammer to rest as being an advantage to anything. That's the safety on my 1894 lever action rifle and I don't care for it in the least. I don't mean to say that I think 1911 variants are unsafe, but they should be carried as designed....cocked and locked

Glock Pistols.......So simple a Caveman could fix them!

(Berks County)

I prefer something set up like my HK P30. Decocker, da/sa. That is just a personal comfort preference. I do carry my XD as well but I still lean more to the HK.

I think it all comes down to personal taste. Personal comfort. If you can't holster or unholster a gun with out it going bang stick to a sa/da set up. And get some more training. I can't say I like a hammer over a striker. Just prefer it.

(Lawrence County)

Quote Originally Posted by P-11 shooter View Post
    I was under the impression the XD is technically a "single action."

I'm not 100% but I thought I remember competition guys complaining it put them in the same class as the 1911's.
    Yeah, the XD is pretty much fully cocked all the time while some other striker fired guns draw the striker back somewhat during the trigger pull.

Lycananecdotethrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by 300WM View Post
    Pistols with a decocker lever (even external hammer pistols) tend to take two hands to decock
    Huh?
    "A peaceful mind generates power"

(Cumberland County)

I prefer a striker fired DAO to carry with no safety. It's simple, fast and consistent.

Thoguh, I have nothing against DA/SA as this is what my USP is. I love a SA trigger pull. But I don't like the idea of carrying "cocked and locked", ONLY because I don't train to disengage the safety. I'm used to drawing and aiming. If you're trained to disengage the safety and do so consistently, perfect! But I'm not.

I'd rather carry de-cocked, safety off. Only thing now is the DA-SA trigger pull. Could get used to it. but I'd rather just carry a striker-fired DAO. I carry a Kahr or Glock. I carried my Hk one day just for the heck of it, de-cocked, safety off.

It's all personal preference.

Any modern gun, despite it being SA, DAO, DA/SA, whatever, is safe to carry with a good holster.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by dregan View Post
    I think it all comes down to personal taste. Personal comfort. If you can't holster or unholster a gun with out it going bang stick to pepper spray. And get some more training. I can't say I like a hammer over a striker. Just prefer it.
    fixed that for ya.

Lack of comfort only indicates lack of familiarity.
    Last edited by victory; January 31st, 2011 at 03:24 AM.

(Clinton County)

Quote Originally Posted by ar15jules View Post
    Before I post this, let me say that I am of the tap rack mentality if I have a failure to fire. I have trained that way for years and it comes without thought. Chances are, if you hit the primer and the round does not fire, it isn't going to do it on the second or third try, and you would have been better off getting a new round into the chamber. With that being said, some people have indicated to me that they like a DA/SA, DAO firearm for re-strike capabilities in the event of a failure to fire. Again, this is not an issue for most people who have been properly trained, but it seems there is a small group who this matters to. I switched a few years back from a DA/SA Sig to Glock, and from a tactical standpoint, think the Glock better fits the bill. If I only took the firearm to the range, then I would have the Sig. It not only fit my hand better, but was much nicer in my opinion to shoot.
    Jules
    I tap and rack due to training. But before that I used a Taurus 24/7. When I had a round that did not fire, it fired on the 2nd pull each time.
    The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by B2Luv2Hunt View Post
    I tap and rack due to training. But before that I used a Taurus 24/7. When I had a round that did not fire, it fired on the 2nd pull each time.
    And if it doesn't or if theres nothing in the chamber, then you're just wasting time. It's best to have a single, standard response to a click when you need a bang.

(Clinton County)

Quote Originally Posted by victory View Post
    And if it doesn't or if theres nothing in the chamber, then you're just wasting time. It's best to have a single, standard response to a click when you need a bang.
    As I said, That was before I had training.
    The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast