Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Thumbs up Silicon impregnated cloth!

So years ago I bought a S&W 686. Being stainless, the shop suggested I buy a silicon impregnated cloth. On their suggestion I did.

Fast forward a few years to now. I never used the cloth which happened to be a kleenbore brand cloth. In the mean time, I picked up a S&W 617.

I also foolishly fired some lead round nose ammo out of it and ended up with caked on lead around the barrel and the cylinder. It got so bad that the revolver would start to lock up.

After hours of scrubbing with a brass brush, I remembered having this cloth which I had never used. I decided at this point, anything is worth a try as Breakfree CLP's claim of removing carbon AND lead fouling was not founded...or at the very least not fast enough.

To my amazement, parts of the revolver that I thought were clean before using the cloth came out black after rubbing the silicon cloth on it. The lead buildup worked off of the parts much easier than hours of brass brushing.

I am so pleased that this product not only exists, but that it also works!

From what I understand, you don't want to use this on a blued gun as it can take the blue off of it.

-Zach

(Berks County)

Default Re: Silicon impregnated cloth!

Odd, silicon is a lubricant.. I don't see how it could take the blueing off. Chemical reaction maybe.. Maybe there is more in the cloth than silicon?

I've been using a Birchwood Casey cloth for....I don't know......15+years with no ill effects on blued firearms.
    FUCK BIDEN

(Somerset County)

I've been wiping guns with a silicone cloth (G96 and Hoppe's ) for over 30 years. They still have their bluing. I think I wore out 2 of the G96 gun mitts and am now using the Hoppes.

Dale
    Last edited by dk99358; January 31st, 2011 at 06:33 PM. Reason: spelling (grin)

(Montgomery County)

It's Lead-Away Cloth that will do a number on bluing (and help clean up your lead fouling. As for as I know silicone cloths have no effect on bluing. I've been using one for over 20 years without wearing away any blue.

(Centre County)

Folks... It's silicone (note the e). Trust me, silicon is not something you want to rub on your gun's finish.

Get it straight.

(Monroe County)

My favorite is the yellow Kleen-BoreŽ Silicone cloth.

(Bucks County)

Thank you for the correction!

-Zach

Quote Originally Posted by RandomTask View Post
    Folks... It's silicone (note the e). Trust me, silicon is not something you want to rub on your gun's finish.

Get it straight.

(Bucks County)

Lead Away is the cloth I am using. Is it not silicone impregnated? Am I even talking about the right product? Whatever it is, it works quite well.

-Zach

Quote Originally Posted by shiloh View Post
    It's Lead-Away Cloth that will do a number on bluing (and help clean up your lead fouling. As for as I know silicone cloths have no effect on bluing. I've been using one for over 20 years without wearing away any blue.

They look the same but are two different animals. I use a silicone cloth on all my firearms after moving certain ones to get to others in the safe. I have always wanted to try the lead remover cloth on my stainless revolvers. To date, I have had great luck with an ammonia based cleaner called RB-17. I don't know if they still make it, but it works great. Do not get any on a brass brush. It will eat it.
    Jules

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast