Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Westmoreland County)

Default good witness/silent suspect???

Ok so I was reading about that jogger in Florida who was attack and defended himself. Now, he was eventually released and no charges were filed against him. I did some further reading on a forum he is on and he never hired a lawyer. So that means he talked to the police. Now if he did not have a firearm and survived the attack, he would talk to the police as a witness but now you introduce the firearm and the equation changes. So after all the ifs, when do you go from being a good witness to a silent suspect?

I know that this is all about personal opinions and that these threads often cause arguments but I think its something to think about. If you defuse an armed robbery by a show of force with a firearm, do you call the police? In this situation the police may treat you as a good witness or as a suspect. I dont really know what the answer is but I know it can go either way. What say you?

(Monroe County)

Default Re: good witness/silent suspect???

You pose an interesting question. As a direct reply, I think it is a judgment call based on the individual circumstances of the situation you are faced with.

Seems to me that staying out of jail is a good objective and if that means you have to talk to the cops in the aftermath of a lethal force encounter then you do so. If you have followed the law and have witnesses to support your claim of victim/defender, or if the evidence at the scene can prove or disprove an assertion by you or anyone else then speak to the cops.

I am only vaguely familiar with this case in Florida. Can't remember if he actually had to shoot. Did he kill or only maim? Were there multiple attackers? Questions like these are part of the dynamic that makes every lethal force encounter different and unique particularly with regard to mounting a legal defense.

(Westmoreland County)

http://forum.pafoa.org/news-123/1223...-shooting.html

here is the thread to that Florida indecent. He did shoot. He shot 8 rounds from his Kimber and kill one of his attackers.

Your response is why I have been thinking about this. Logic tells me that in this situation talking to the police is a bad idea. Apparently, he talked and never lawyered up and is fine. But that doesnt mean it is the right way to handle it. I dont really know.

(Allegheny County)

That is a completely different outcome from a past Florida defensive shooting where the shooter did two years in prison until trial date only to be exonerated (unsure of the date of that encounter). I'm not popping the cork on the champaign just yet, but it does seem as if gun laws (or lack thereof) are getting better.