Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lackawanna County)

Default What is the most painless .500 S&W to shoot?

I want to buy a .500 S&W but ive heard they can be pretty painful. I was wondering if there are any models that arent too bad.

(Centre County)

Default Re: What is the most painless .500 S&W to shoot?

The longer the barrel the less felt recoil due to the weight. But then you'll probably need to do some wrist strengthening exercises also. These can be very heavy guns.

Here's what I was going to say first:

What is the most painless .500 S&W to shoot? One with no cartridges in it
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Cumberland County)

I'm assuming that you want a pistol, but you may be interested in

http://www.bighornarmory.com/
    Soap Box - Worn out : Ballot Box - Broken : Jury Box - Pending : Ammunition Box - Unknown

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Xringshooter View Post
    Hahahah yup! Or an imaginary one!

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Xringshooter View Post
    The longer the barrel the less felt recoil due to the weight. But then you'll probably need to do some wrist strengthening exercises also. These can be very heavy guns.

Here's what I was going to say first:

Pretty much, lol.

I came across a used one with a short barrel for sale in a gun shop a while back, and I had asked about it. I was told the guy bought it new, shot it about 5 times, then came back and put it on consignment because it made his hand bleed. Needless to say I passed on that purchase, lol.

Proud member of:

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by daschnoz View Post
    I'm assuming that you want a pistol, but you may be interested in

http://www.bighornarmory.com/
    I just fell in love! That carbine is beautiful!
    Last edited by CHEMICAL; January 29th, 2011 at 09:37 PM.

I have the .500 with the 4" ported barrel and the .460 with the 8" compensator barrel. The .500 kicks more than the .460, but it is not like comparing a .22 to a .44. It is not a snappy kick like a S&W mod. 640, but more of a thump with some snap. I wouldn't classify either as painful, but you do have to hold on to them. The .460 actually is not bad, and it doesn't try to flip out of your hand like my Taurus Tracker 4" .44 does. I got some shrapnel in the neck off of a ricochet on the chicken wire fencing between the stalls at the range from the .500 with a timing issue. I know of a few timing issues with these, but Smith took care of mine with no hassels. I never shoot them at the range unless it is empty (don't shoot them much, regardless). The rounds are expensive and very loud. It will piss some people off if you shoot it beside them. All it took for me was one dirty look from a lady two stalls down. I use damp balls of toilet tissue stuffed in my ears along with muffs when I do shoot them. About the only time I carry them is in a pack when hunting in the Everglades, and I have yet to have to use one (not going to quit taking them, though). To me, 99% of the time, they are safe guns or queens, WEYP.

One thing with these guns is it is hard to be accurate with them because it is easy to flinch. It requires some concentration to hit what you aim at. There is a guy in my area with one and he never goes to the range without at least 5 20rd. boxes of Hornadays. I am usually good with 10 to 15 shots, and back to the bag it goes.
    Last edited by harold63; January 30th, 2011 at 01:59 AM. Reason: added some info

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Daddy View Post
    I want to buy a .500 S&W but ive heard they can be pretty painful. I was wondering if there are any models that arent too bad.
    the one you reload for.
    what other magnums do you shoot? this is not an entry level mag.

i have lightening fast 350 gr loads that make lots of noise, flash, and recoil, but they really are not bad to shoot, after 15-20 rounds the hand will start hurting a bit but nothing a 10 minute break won't fix. 50 rounds is a good time.
    i have some 440 hardcast loads, that are not fast, are not flashy, and do not create much muzzle climb. they however have more of a push to them, enough that after a handful my right elbow will start bothering me...if i push the issue it will bug me for a week or longer.

i enjoy mine, and take it out rather often. yeah it can be a show piece, but it puts one heck of a smile on my face.

i shot a 4"er it was rather quick at becoming unpleasant, i have the 8.375"er it tames things a lot with the extra 4"s of barrel. i'd like to handle the 6.5"er.

they are a very good reason to start reloading....there is no way i would be able to shoot one with doing so myself.
    Last edited by brian; January 29th, 2011 at 11:26 PM.
    it's only metal, we can out think it....

Quote Originally Posted by brian View Post
    i shot a 4"er it was rather quick at becoming unpleasant, i have the 8.375"er it tames things a lot with the extra 4"s of barrel. i'd like to handle the 6.5"er.
    There is less muzzle flip with the 6.5, but it is by no means, substantial. After trying both, I chose the 4" simply because it is easier to to get in and out of bag or holster. Not enough difference in recoil to get the longer barrel, to me, anyhow. Think what they would do unported.

(Beaver County)

If you reload then it's any of the .500's. I have the 8 3/8" S&W. I love it. No muzzle climb just a straight push into your hand and thumb. I currently make a 350 grain plated TMJ thats on par with any of my 357 mag loads. I can shoot these all day. But these are like mousefart rounds even compared to a slower lead round made commercially. If you dont plan to reload for it I would have to say any one you buy is going to end up a safe queen. At near 2 bucks a round for commercial ammo you can go broke and sore quick.
    Last edited by DucatiRon; January 30th, 2011 at 12:05 PM.
    www.Steelvalleycasting.com is your new home for coated bullets and custom ammo.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast