Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default I want a Mil-Spec 1911!

As the thread title shows I want a 1911. And I'm pretty specific as to which what I want as far as accessories go... which is none. I want a plain unmodified 1911 no skeletonized trigger or hammer, no extra slide serrations. I should add that I want it to be parkerized as well. Pretty much what I want is a Mil-Spec 1911. So far I have narrowed my list down to Rock Island Armory's 1911's, Springfield's GI and Mil-Spec models and Auto Ordnance 1911's. So my question is what is the story with the ones I've listed and are there any others that fit what I'm looking for that I havent listed.
    Last edited by SigSauer226; February 5th, 2011 at 12:40 AM.

Default Re: I want a 1911!

The triggers I have felt on the models you listed, not including the SA Milspec 1911A1, are a notch above "sucks". The Springfield has a decent trigger. My money for a Milspec 1911 is going on a Colt M1991A1. It has the customer service and reliability record that is pretty much unmatched. I have shot a number of these pistols over the last five or six years and they are as accurate as you could need a milspec to be, and more. The SA 1911A1 would be my second choice, but does not miss out by much at all. I would not consider the others, but this is just me and my opinion.

(Lancaster County)

I am finding myself longing for one of these, and have narrowed my choice to either the S&W 1911 'E' series TA or the Springfield Operator. Reading up on the new S&W 1911s, they've got some nice advanced features.

(Centre County)

I have two RIA's, the least expensive (straight, no frills GI model) and the full size tactical. Love them both. I did modify the GI model, mainly because I have other 1911's so that became my customizer. But I shot it a lot before I started the custom job. It was very tight, shot excellent, never a problem and it was very inexpensive. I just don't like the GI sights, but that's because I'm a bit older now and the sights are small. For a starter 1911, I can say that it makes a great first 1911.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Allegheny County)

I bought an older Springfield GI because it looked the most like an original GI piece. With a set of GI Keyes fiber grips on it looks just like a WWII 1911A1 and it shoots pretty well too. Though with the unmodified ejection port it does beat up brass a good bit. Now I've read tons of good stuff about the RIA too though I've never tried one myself. But you probably can't go wrong with either of them.

Here's the WW2 serial number Springfield next to a 1942 Colt. The SA looks more like a 1944 1911A1 but you get the idea:

Last edited by thebearpack; February 5th, 2011 at 11:38 AM.

(Westmoreland County)

My first 1911 is this Auto Ordnance...

It came with plastic grips, which I changed to the grips in the picture. They worked well enough for the range, but I eventually replaced them with a checkered wood set. After I changed out the original recoil spring, it ran very well. I can vouch for how painful "hammer bite" is from a GI, so when I got my next 1911, I made sure the new one had a beavertail grip safety.

After reading the other posts, I reread your opening post. I was basically saying which milspec I would go with (not that that matters), so I said I would not go with the others. If it doesn't have to be a true milspec, then I wouldn't even be able to give my opinion. I don't know enough about some of those you listed to even know if they are milspec or not. Can you say "obtuse".

Quote Originally Posted by 300WM View Post
    After reading the other posts, I reread your opening post. I was basically saying which milspec I would go with (not that that matters), so I said I would not go with the others. If it doesn't have to be a true milspec, then I wouldn't even be able to give my opinion. I don't know enough about some of those you listed to even know if they are milspec or not. Can you say "obtuse".
    I probably should have phrased the original post a little better. Your first post was actually what I was trying to explain. I want a milspec 1911 so what you had to offer was actually a help. Thanks.

Not sure what your thinking is but for a little more or the same price depending on where you buy, you can have a Kimber Custom II; they run like 700.00 and you can shoot 1 hole groups at 50', 4 to 5# trigger; better gun out of the box than many $1,000 1911's.

http://www.the-armory.com/shopsite_s...roduct918.html

But if a gun that sucks is your intention, you're on the right track. (No offense, it actually sounds like sucks is what you're looking for)

(Allegheny County)

here's a little Hint, go on Ace Sporting goods Facebook Page
    Μολὼν λαβέ

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast