Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: Recommend a .357 Magnum concealed carry revolver!

After doing some research and reading the comments in this thread, here's what I would like to see in my CCW revolver:

1) Barrel of about 3" long
    2) Rated for .357 Magnum and .38 Special +p
    3) I'd like it to be medium frame (no J-sized frames due to recoil)
    4) I don't care about specialized posts; blade sights are just fine
    5) Must be concealable and comfortable to carry (this is very subjective, I know)
    6) I like steel frames; titanium and scandium lightweight frames don't defeat recoil all that well.
    7) Hammer or hammer-less, doesn't matter to me
    8) Must be a hoot to shoot at the range!

Quote Originally Posted by Fossil4Life View Post
    After doing some research and reading the comments in this thread, here's what I would like to see in my CCW revolver:

5) Must be concealable and comfortable to carry (this is very subjective, I know)
    6) I like steel frames; titanium and scandium lightweight frames don't defeat recoil all that well.
    Then buy the Ruger SP, you won't regret it. But make sure it has a hammer that way it'll fire, Bobbed hammers are fine.
    We must all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately.-Benjamin Franklin

(Montgomery County)

Exclamation Re: Recommend a .357 Magnum concealed carry revolver!

(Delaware County)

On the left, Ruger SP101 .357 magnum 2.25", on the right Ruger Speed Six .357 magnum, 4" The cartridges are Corbon .357 magnum Pow'Rball.

Both handle whatever you feed them, the weight of the guns coupled with the Hogue grips and you can shoot these all day without killing your hands.

Ruger LCR .357. End of story. Don't let anybody tell you that the recoil is too bad, because it isn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Last Resort View Post
    Ruger LCR .357. End of story. Don't let anybody tell you that the recoil is too bad, because it isn't.
    I'll second that. The LCR is the most surprisingly comfortable guns to fire in its size that I have ever shot. Felt recoil isn't all about the weight of the gun, the grip, where the grip puts you hand in comparison to the barrel, frame shape all contribute. Find someone who has one and fire it before you pass up such a good shooting gun.

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by LeadHead View Post
    I'll second that. The LCR is the most surprisingly comfortable guns to fire in its size that I have ever shot. Felt recoil isn't all about the weight of the gun, the grip, where the grip puts you hand in comparison to the barrel, frame shape all contribute. Find someone who has one and fire it before you pass up such a good shooting gun.
    Third. Fit is very subjective, but the LCR fits my hand like a glove, making it very shootable for me.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by rwb1500 View Post
    I prefer an alloy J frame, 642, 442, 638, 438, 637, etc. You won't find an easier to carry revolver. However those are all .38 specials only. Some would say that even if you have the capability to shoot .357 you should stick with .38+Ps for carry, because the wrong .357 load can overpenatrate, a lot.

I'm on the hunt for a 3 inch Model 60, sans lock. Then I'd be set.
    Exactly. I'd only add that while the 442/642 has the advantage of an internal hammer, it has only 5-round capacity and the airweight versions give you more recoil than you should feel with a .38. Great for BUG or short trip to the corner, but if you want to carry a revolver daily and all day, look for a S&W with a 4" barrel that weighs over 2 lbs and has rubber grips. They even make some in this size that have 7 round capacity (at least they used to, if you buy used guns). There will still be recoil if you put .357 magnum loads in there, but with even .38+p, it feels like you are dry shooting.

(Elk County)

Quote Originally Posted by Fossil4Life View Post

You are describing the S&W Model 65LS "Ladysmith"; my idea of a perfect carry revolver:

The 65LS is perfectly balanced and comes with an exceptionally smooth DA and SA pull. It is built on the "K" frame, and therefore it should not be fired with high-speed loads using bullets under 125-130 grains because the faster bullets jumping and hitting the forcing cone have been known to crack the forcing cone of "K" frame 357s. Stick with 140 gr+ and you will be fine.

I have four of these in the stable, one I rotate into my daily carry, one each for my wife and daughter, and one "for the shelf." All four are "pre-lock" models.

The sights are fixed, and are well-regulated with 158 gr ammo. I have no problem breaking claybirds on edge on the 25 yd berm.

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

(Perry County)

Quote Originally Posted by Noah_Zark View Post
    You are describing the S&W Model 65LS "Ladysmith"; my idea of a perfect carry revolver:

The 65LS is perfectly balanced and comes with an exceptionally smooth DA and SA pull. It is built on the "K" frame, and therefore it should not be fired with high-speed loads using bullets under 125-130 grains because the faster bullets jumping and hitting the forcing cone have been known to crack the forcing cone of "K" frame 357s. Stick with 140 gr+ and you will be fine.

I have four of these in the stable, one I rotate into my daily carry, one each for my wife and daughter, and one "for the shelf." All four are "pre-lock" models.

The sights are fixed, and are well-regulated with 158 gr ammo. I have no problem breaking claybirds on edge on the 25 yd berm.

Noah

Hear him, hear him, he knows of what he speaks.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast