Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: Recommend a .357 Magnum concealed carry revolver!

Ruger LCR, great trigger, no hammer to catch and so light weight (unloaded) it's hard to think it's a gun. I think the weight dang near doubles when it's loaded.

Quote Originally Posted by LeadHead View Post
    Ruger LCR, great trigger, no hammer to catch and so light weight (unloaded) it's hard to think it's a gun. I think the weight dang near doubles when it's loaded.
    I second this one. Only because I own one . I have had no issues with it and shoots very well and the recoil is not bad at all, when shooting 135 gr. 357 loads.

(Centre County)

For some odd reason, I can't shoot the entire cylinder of LCR without short stroking the hell out of it.
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

Quote Originally Posted by Mity2 View Post
    For some odd reason, I can't shoot the entire cylinder of LCR without short stroking the hell out of it.
    I had that problem when I bought my Ruger GP 100's that I shoot falling steel with. For me it comes from shooting the 1911's, I'm so accustomed to the short stroke necessary to fire them that I automatically transfer that same action to the revolvers.

It can be overcome easily.

(Chester County)

I'm due to start carrying my S & W Model 60 .357 but waiting for some upgraded grips since it's a little brutal on my large hands with the small combat grips.
    Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

Quote Originally Posted by StrangeKnight View Post
    I second this one. Only because I own one . I have had no issues with it and shoots very well and the recoil is not bad at all, when shooting 135 gr. 357 loads.
    Yea I'm amazed at how palatable the recoil is, they made a great choice in grips with those Hoges. On my wheel gun days at the falling steel range I'll often take out the LCR and shoot steel (well just 5 since I don't have a speed loader for that gun) and I hit them all. They shoot great.

One thing I added to mine which I recommend is the HiViz Front Sight Ruger LCR Steel Blue Fiber Optic. it comes in Green and Red.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct...tnumber=367034

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct...tnumber=185260

Thanks to all for the wonderful recommendations! Taking a few tips from here, it's looking like I'm going to want to look for a larger framed revolver with at least a 3" barrel, correct? I am undecided as to the hammer or no hammer option for carry purposes, maybe you guys can weigh in on this?

I'm not limp wristed by any means, and while the S&W 640 is calling to me, I can't make the case of buying a small frame revolver that is going to beat the crap out of me when shooting it while having poor follow up shots. A lot of this can be mitigated with practice of course, but still, shooting on the range is supposed to be fun, right?

Anyway, what are some good S&W models to look at? I was checking out the Model 686, but if I can get a good price on a discontinued model (like the 66) that would even be better. I have no adversion to buying used, discontinued guns. I mean, after all, used guns show a little character, right?

Are there discontinued Ruger or Rossi models to consider as well?

Lots of people here suggested the Ruger SP-101, which does come in a 3 inch bbl. For carry, you might consider a shrouded hammer, or even hammerless. I was just looking here:

http://www.ruger.com/products/sp101/models.html

and I see that only the 2.25" bbl comes in shrouded. Not sure - you might be able to find older 3" models with varying hammer-ness.

Anyway, the reason for shrouded with carry is that there's no hammer to get caught on clothing when drawing. Further, with hammerless (well, there IS a hammer, but it's totally hidden) you could even carry, say, in your coat pocket, with your hand on it, at the ready, if you found yourself in a sketchy situation where you didn't even want to waste time drawing. And let's hope having to take your coat to the seamstress the next day is the only setback there, for everyone involved.
    Tommy610, NRA Member, Romans 12:18

(Perry County)

I own 5 K frame Smiths love them, shoot them in competition, etc. However, I almost never carry the 2.5" 66, it is almost always the 638 or the 60 3" that is carried. It is so much easier to conceal them and especially the 638 just disappears and is forgotten.

No doubt about it the .357is one of the best one shot stoppers there is. However, it kicks like crazy in a 2" revolver, so a .38+P is a better choice for most. If you are going to actually use .38s why not just get a light .38 you are more likely to have on you when you need it.

For carry a light .38, but break into my house and meet Mr. 12 gauge or one of those sweet K frames with .357s.

(Montgomery County)

Thumbs up Re: Recommend a .357 Magnum concealed carry revolver!

Quote Originally Posted by Fossil4Life View Post

Are there discontinued Ruger or Rossi models to consider as well?
    Yep!

Ruger Speed Six, Security Six and Service Six.

All built like a bank vault.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast