Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Re: Recommend a .357 Magnum concealed carry revolver!

My choice is Smith & Wesson 340 M&P Lightweight Centennial .357

(Cumberland County)

I prefer an alloy J frame, 642, 442, 638, 438, 637, etc. You won't find an easier to carry revolver. However those are all .38 specials only. Some would say that even if you have the capability to shoot .357 you should stick with .38+Ps for carry, because the wrong .357 load can overpenatrate, a lot.

I'm on the hunt for a 3 inch Model 60, sans lock. Then I'd be set.
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

(Centre County)

Would there be any noticeble difference in terminal velocity between shooting .357mag and .38special from such a short barrel?

I thought the difference is so negregible(due to short barrel unable to accelelate projectile), that only thing you'll notice are much bigger muzzle flash, more recoil, and cost more to shoot?
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

I just picked up a S&W model 19 for around the price that the OP stated. For me it's about the perfect size. If you can find a used S&W (60/19) or Colt that would be the way I would go. The construction is going to be a bit better and the trigger even if not used much will be better than a new revolver.

If you want to go new. The Ruger SP101 would be the way I would go. Better price than the new S&W models and unless you splurge for a performance center smith the action and trigger will be similar.

(Lebanon County)

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...s_id=411541101
    This looks like a good deal from Bud's. I was thinking about it but funds are pretty low right now. $483 shipped for a new model 360
    I've got two guns... One for each of ya (Doc Holiday)

(Montgomery County)

Lightbulb Re: Recommend a .357 Magnum concealed carry revolver!

Why is there this need to own a new gun? Same with cars. I've never owned a new car in my life, and with good reason: They're lousy investments.

When I carry a .357 revolver, I carry either an S&W 66 or a Rossi 877. I paid $375 for the 66 and $225 for the Rossi from a member on this site.
    Attached Images Attached Images

(Philadelphia County)

If you want to shoot 357's out of it go with a medium frame size at least.
    S&W model 66 is perfect but they stopped making them. The 686 comes ina 2 1/2 inch barrel but it's a bit beefier being an L frame. The new Rossi 357 snubs are very nice and affordable too ! You could also go with a Ruger GP 100 in the 3 inch barrel.
    Whichever you choose make sure it's a medium frame or bigger. Small frame 357's are punishing to shoot with fullhouse loads, and follow up shots more difficult. They also put alot of wear on the gun due to their small size. This is why 90% of people use 38 +P in a small fram 357. If you buy a 357 for defense, use 357 cartridges !
    If your not going to use 357's then just buy a 38 Special !
    The reason of the 357 is power and potency. The one shot stopping ratio for the 357 is 98% ! A 125 gr bullet at 1450 fps has 585 ft-lbs of energy. Can you say WHALLOP !
    When police were using 38's they needed 3 and 4 shots to put someone down at times if they were large or drug influenced. With a 357, ONE shot is all that's needed !
    Practice and get proficient with the 357. Once you have become skilled with the round
    you won't have to worry about wasting ammo. I guess this is why they only make six, seven, and eight shooters for the 357, it's got so much punch there's no need for that second {just in case} shot .
    You Can Take My Gun When You Pry it From My Dead, Cold, Hand !

Quote Originally Posted by PhillyGunslinger View Post
    If you want to shoot 357's out of it go with a medium frame size at least.
    S&W model 66 is perfect but they stopped making them. The 686 comes ina 2 1/2 inch barrel but it's a bit beefier being an L frame. The new Rossi 357 snubs are very nice and affordable too ! You could also go with a Ruger GP 100 in the 3 inch barrel.
    Whichever you choose make sure it's a medium frame or bigger. Small frame 357's are punishing to shoot with fullhouse loads, and follow up shots more difficult. They also put alot of wear on the gun due to their small size. This is why 90% of people use 38 +P in a small fram 357. If you buy a 357 for defense, use 357 cartridges !
    If your not going to use 357's then just buy a 38 Special !
    The reason of the 357 is power and potency. The one shot stopping ratio for the 357 is 98% ! A 125 gr bullet at 1450 fps has 585 ft-lbs of energy. Can you say WHALLOP !
    When police were using 38's they needed 3 and 4 shots to put someone down at times if they were large or drug influenced. With a 357, ONE shot is all that's needed !
    Practice and get proficient with the 357. Once you have become skilled with the round
    you won't have to worry about wasting ammo. I guess this is why they only make six, seven, and eight shooters for the 357, it's got so much punch there's no need for that second {just in case} shot .
    I agree the 357 has significant power but a higher gr bullet is more desirable. The +p 38's are close but still not a 357. That being said I still wouldn't feel that most encounters would be stopped with a single shot and not preparing for followups or expecting them is looking for trouble.

OP. I picked up a 640 2" 357 and its a great carry gun. 357 full loads are a little heavy on the hand but working on your grip can help A LOT. Just remember practice your accuracy and point n shoot from holster with a good grip and precise placement and quick reloads with a speed loader of some type. 5 rounds is good but each needs to count.

(Lancaster County)

I've got a Ruger SP-101 3inch 357 that I got back in '92 when they first came out- I bought it for something more substantial against mountain lions when I lived out in CO. it is an awsome gun. Kicks like hell. shoots anything I feed it. I find it heavy compared to my SW 638 airlight .38, and that is why I generally carry that. For the carry weight difference and smaller recoil,snag free hammer the SW works better for me (I can actually pocket carry the SW or tuck it in my waistband as I want - I like more options) I like them both for different reasons. If you can, shoot the gun you want and see if you like it before you buy.
    Let me know if you need to shoot the Ruger.

Cb

(Snyder County)

My pick...

# Model: 327 Night Guard™

# Caliber: .357 Magnum®
    .38 S&W Special +P

# Capacity: 8 Rounds

# Barrel Length: 2.5" / 6.4 cm

# Front Sight: XS Sights® 24/7 Tritium Night

# Rear Sight: Cylinder & Slide Fixed

# Overall Length: 7.75" / 19.7 cm

# Weight: 27.6 oz / 781.3 g

# Action: Single/Double Action

# Frame Size: Large - Exposed Hammer