Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Cambria County)

Default Compact vs Full Size

OK, if a compact pistol is easier to conceal. Why would anyone carry a Full Size Weapon?

I am basically talking about two of the same type of pistols. Say an Service Model XD with 4 inch barrel and full size grips compared to the Subcompact XD with a 3 inch barrel and shorter grips.

Are there pros and cons to these two types of pistols?

Right off the bat, I would say the Subcompact has got to conceal better. Not as much weapon to hide or deal with while sitting or bending.

Guess the Full size has full size grips, which some feel they have to have. I have heard pros and cons on this matter. (Don't need the pinky to shoot accurately....)

Higher capacity of a full size.

Well, why do you carry what you carry? Why is it a better choice than the other one?
    The American Revolution would never have happened with gun control....
    The day they want my guns, they'll have to bring theirs!!!
    Proud to be One of the 3%

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Compact vs Full Size

Quote Originally Posted by Mtbkski View Post
    Well, why do you carry what you carry? Why is it a better choice than the other one?
    i have no problem at all comfortably concealing (well concealed) a full size glock.

therefore, i have no incentive to carry the compact version...since a full size is superior in every way except for ease/comfort of concealability if that is a problem for you with a full size.

ETA: regarding the grip size, i think that is actually an important advantage of full size. while you might not need your pinky on then grip to shoot accurately at the range, i think having the bigger grip to grab onto and hold onto under the stress of any actual gun fight would be very nice.

also, full size gives you higher capacity, longer site radius, less felt recoil, higher muzzle velocity, etc. etc.
    Last edited by LittleRedToyota; December 4th, 2007 at 12:31 AM.

(Montgomery County)

Right off the bat, I would say the Subcompact has got to conceal better. Not as much weapon to hide or deal with while sitting or bending.
    I thought this too about my Glock 26 (which I love and will never part with)

...but I am told the Glock 19 conceals just as easy, if not better....Now I have to go out and buy the G19 just to see if that is true.....
    Μολών λαβέ

(Lawrence County)

Full size is easier to manage recoil and is easier to shoot accurately due to the longer sight radius.

My rule is that I carry as big as I can....and still conceal.

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(Allegheny County)

OK, if a compact pistol is easier to conceal. Why would anyone carry a Full Size Weapon?

I am basically talking about two of the same type of pistols. Say an Service Model XD with 4 inch barrel and full size grips compared to the Subcompact XD with a 3 inch barrel and shorter grips.

Are there pros and cons to these two types of pistols?

Guess the Full size has full size grips, which some feel they have to have. I have heard pros and cons on this matter. (Don't need the pinky to shoot accurately....)

Higher capacity of a full size.

I think my shot placement and follow-up is better with my full sized 45 than with my compact 9mm. So since I can effectively conceal both, or open carry both, I carry the one that I am most efficent with.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Glocker View Post
    I thought this too about my Glock 26 (which I love and will never part with)

...but I am told the Glock 19 conceals just as easy, if not better....Now I have to go out and buy the G19 just to see if that is true.....
    a glock 17 conceals just as easily as well. at least for me...ymmv, of course, but give it a try before you buy. (don't just assume you cannot conceal a g17.)

(Westmoreland County)

I have no problem concealing a G19 / 1911 sized pistol. I don't like itty, bitty pistols.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Lycanthrope View Post
    Full size is easier to manage recoil and is easier to shoot accurately due to the longer sight radius.
    Agree. Easier to shoot well. I want every advantage possible working in my favor.

(Lawrence County)

I carry a full sized, double stack, Ruger P95 every day. It's very concealable at 1 or 2 o'clock, or even at 4 and 5 o'clock... Not 3 though, my love chub pushes it out to the side! lol

Chazbellyconcealmentman321
    I like guns... And boobs...

(Indiana County)

I OC anyhow, so my G17 is just fine for the job.. But if I needed to, me at 6'3" could hide it with no problems.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast