Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Pike County)

Default How about a Wiki?

I don't know about the rest of you but I am somewhat new to firearms and at times I am at a loss with certain abbreviations and terminology. I think (If feasible) setting up a Wiki section would be very helpful to many of us new to firearms. Plus it would save a lot of time finding certain answers. Thoughts?
    Sanity, yours if you can keep it.....

(York County)

Default Re: How about a Wiki?

From the stickies, just above... http://forum.pafoa.org/general-2/157...-acronyms.html

...while not a "wiki", you will likely find the vast majority of your shortcut questions answered there.

Just sayin'.
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

(Pike County)

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    From the stickies, just above... http://forum.pafoa.org/general-2/157...-acronyms.html

...while not a "wiki", you will likely find the vast majority of your shortcut questions answered there.

Just sayin'.
    It's a good start but IMO not as through as a Wiki.

Whats a "wiki"?
    We must all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately.-Benjamin Franklin

(Pike County)

Quote Originally Posted by 7998 View Post
    Whats a "wiki"?
    Simply put it's an online database like Wikipedia but more specialized, here is the general definition:

A wiki (play /ˈwɪki/ WIK-ee) is a website that allows the creation and editing of any number of interlinked web pages via a web browser using a simplified markup language or a WYSIWYG text editor.[1][2][3] Wikis are typically powered by wiki software and are often used to create collaborative works. Examples include community websites, corporate intranets, knowledge management systems, and note services. The software can also be used for personal note taking.

Wikis serve different purposes. Some permit control over different functions (levels of access). For example editing rights may permit changing, adding or removing material. Others may permit access without enforcing access control. Other rules can be imposed for organizing content.

Ward Cunningham, the developer of the first wiki software, WikiWikiWeb, originally described it as "the simplest online database that could possibly work."[4] "Wiki" (pronounced [ˈwiti] or [ˈviti]) is a Hawaiian word for "fast".[5]
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wiki

Quote Originally Posted by LifeInPa View Post
    Simply put it's an online database like Wikipedia but more specialized, here is the general definition:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wiki
    Ok thanks, I knew wikipedia. So its like a glossary? Btw is that Capt. Stuban from the Love Boat in your avatar?
    We must all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately.-Benjamin Franklin

(Pike County)

Quote Originally Posted by 7998 View Post
    Ok thanks, I knew wikipedia. So its like a glossary? Btw is that Capt. Stuban from the Love Boat in your avatar?
    No problem, I would say it more like a cross between a dictionary/encyclopedia. Heh that photo is from a movie called Star Trek First Contact. It's from a scene when Cpt Picard lures the Borg onto the holodeck, disables the safeties and dispatches the Borg with my favorite fully automatic firearm the M1928 Thompson SMG with a 50 round drum magazine. They're immune to directed energy weapons like the plasma rifle but they're still vulnerable to good old fashion firearms. You can see a more detailed photo's here:

http://www.imfdb.org/index.php/Star_...M1928_Thompson

Yes, it would be great to have a wiki here.

Stickies would all be moved there and it will be easier to find info.

Also, sometimes there are threads devoted to specific projects. If you miss looking at that thread for a few days, and come back to it, it's often hard to get the current status of things. A wiki page would be good for that - always showing the status of the project.
    Tommy610, NRA Member, Romans 12:18

(Pike County)

Quote Originally Posted by tommy610 View Post
    Yes, it would be great to have a wiki here.

Stickies would all be moved there and it will be easier to find info.

Also, sometimes there are threads devoted to specific projects. If you miss looking at that thread for a few days, and come back to it, it's often hard to get the current status of things. A wiki page would be good for that - always showing the status of the project.
    Indeed, that's what I am thinking. I am also thinking members with a certain amount of post would be able to add/edit articles at will, say members with 500 or more post. It could become a great, organized pool of knowledge. It could even be used as a tool to educate the anti-2A group. When people here compose E-Mail's to these people they could provide links to articles in the Wiki. For example recently the anti-2A group wanted to ban barrel shrouds, give em a link to the Wiki that explains what a Barrel Shroud actually is and they could change their tune.
    Last edited by LifeInPa; January 29th, 2011 at 06:15 PM.