28 26.42%
  • Ruger LCP

20 18.87%
  • Other

24 22.64%
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default Wifey's first pistol, poll

Well she wants one in either pink or lime green so I am assuming that part will have to wait til after she gets the pistol and we will have to send it to a shop somewhere or do it ourselves. She just recently decided she really wants to learn how to shoot, because of me working like a mad man, and her being home with the kids all day. I will be teaching her PROPERLY, in steps. First, we will work on safety and safe handling, then grip and stance, loading and unloading (safely of course) then some test fires to see if she likes it.

Anyhow, she really really wants a pistol for her Birthday in May, she is finally going to be 21 and she has her and the kids safety at Priority Numero uno. I like that she is willing to defend herself, and our kids and home, so I am naturally all for it.

Choices are:

Airweight .357/38
    Springfield XD9SC
    Ruger LCP
    Sig P238
    Glock 26

She doesn't want anything that is going to scare her but she wants something that will do the job. She wants to be able to carry it if necessary and she has tiny hands so Sub compact is the way to go. She is going to be starting off on a .22 first, then move to my G19 until she turns 21 and gets her own. These are the ones out of all the ones I showed her that she likes. Of course, they will be modified to her style standards later on down the road. Vote on the poll and post opinions please. I need all the help I can get, because I don't know much about anything other than my glock.

*forgot the XD9SC in the poll, so if you vote for that, hit other and post it up that is what you voted for*
    Last edited by SharpShooter88; January 29th, 2011 at 03:25 AM. Reason: Duh
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3339&dateline=1300221  289

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Wifey's first pistol, poll

I vote revolver for first time female shooters. Easy to load/unload and consistent trigger pull. If there is a malfunction you just squeeze the trigger again and you're back into action.

I've gone shooting with quite a few females over the years. I don't think I've seen a single one of them rack the slide on any semi auto. My GF did have success racking a ruger sr9 slide, once.
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    let them eventually bring the FBI to kill my wife and son over fucking chickens....

Lime green would be one cool looking handgun color.

I too gave my vote for a revolver considering the circumstances, experience level, etc. Just easier to train a new shooter/gun owner on a more basic platform than not.

My wife also has been considering a handgun purchase of her own. We looked at them, I suggested she handle some revolvers to see how they fit. Her reply was "why do I have to have a revolver, why can't I have one of those semi's???" I just smiled knowing that she can absolutely shoot the heck out of any of my pistols, but carrying, training, shooting under stress, etc. bring a few more things to the table than just pointing at a paper target and trying to hit the black circle does.

I said "you can certainly choose a semi-auto but understand that they take more training and skill to operate and you will need to put the time in to be proficient" She is still thinking and no purchase has been decided on yet.

My G26 and just about everything I have, are too thick in the grip for her hands to be comfortable for her. She shoots them well but they feel bulky. The revolver grips were better for her so far.

Good luck and congratulations on your impending purchase and quality range time with your wife.
    Adapt, Adjust and Overcome.

(Monroe County)

I voted for this:

I know she will like it.

And it wont break the bank either
    Last edited by mrnyman; January 29th, 2011 at 04:16 AM.

(Montgomery County)

Maybe a revolver if she likes them, but if she does want to go revolver stay away from the light weight and short barreled ones.

Let here pick what she can shoot best. I take it she will not be practicing every weeks 2-3 hours. Light weigh revolvers have greater recoil, which helps form a terrible flinch habit. The short barreled revolvers are a bit more difficult to master due to short sight radius. Absolutely avoid the Smith and Wesson J frame revolvers, they are expert guns, not girl guns.

If she likes revolvers, a nice Smith and Wesson model 66, or 686 with a four inch barrel would fill the bill nicely.

Take her to a range, rent some guns, buy some ammo and stand back. It is her gun, let her pick it.
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

(Monroe County)

oh , here it is
    Attached Images Attached Images

I guess I'm different than most people. My vote is first for the Springfield XD-9 Subcompact. I would secondly vote for the Glock 26, and I'll get around to the reasons why shortly.

I do agree that revolvers are a bit more simple in terms of function. The main reason being that if something fails, all you have to do is pull the trigger again, and it goes to the next chamber. Yes that's simple, but you are limited on capacity, and some people just don't like revolvers, or can't get as comfortable holding them.

I've taught several women shooters how to properly handle pistol (and revolvers, but notice I said pistol). I've never had a problem teaching and drilling them to learn how to clear a malfunction (tap, rack, bang, etc.) It sounds to me like you intend to teach her how to use the pistol and train her adequately. If this is the case, I don't see any reason why she can't be proficient with a pistol. If you are going to dedicate time to the range and training, then she'll learn to be proficient with the pistol, and not just have to rely on pulling the trigger again (how she would on a revolver). Women do not learn any slower than men, and most people would agree that men don't have a problem learning how to clear a malfunction in a pistol. You will probably also be teaching her on a semi-auto .22lr platform, so she's going to be familiar with it. If that's the case, it's not that hard to teach her even with the .22 how to clear a malfunction properly. Sometimes, people bring up the fact that women can have problems racking the slide of a semi auto. In my experience, this is usually a bunch of hogwash, and something that arises from when a woman is not taught the "proper way" to rack a slide. Most of us men can get away with only pulling the slide back with our non dominant hand, but women can't always get away with this "habit". I've found that if the woman is taught to "push" with her dominant hand, and "pull" with her non dominant hand; they don't usually have a problem racking the slide. This is the way that even men should rack the slide, the reason being that in some malfunctions, you may need the extra leverage to easily and quickly clear the malfunction. I like revolvers, but it really does seem like an excuse to me sometimes; like people don't want to teach a woman who is interested in TRULY LEARNING, how to clear a malfunction. If she's well versed in the firearm, it will NOT be a problem, BUT this is assuming that you teach her properly, and drill it in.

Honestly, I think you should choose whatever fits her hands best, and she shoots best; between the Springfield XD and the Glock 26. I shoot both Glock's and Springfield's well, and like both of them. I personally like the grip angle of the Springfield XD's better though (for me). I also like the fact that the XD's have the fully supported chamber, METAL guide rod, and METAL sights. I know that Glocks can fire with a broken guide rod, and that the sights are pretty tough. Still, I'd rather have the metal of the XD, I just don't see the reason in chancing it with plastic. The grip safety, some people like it, some people dislike it. I personally think that if you're holding the pistol properly, it's hardly noticeable on the XD's, but that's just me. I haven't held a G26 and XD9SC side by side in a LONG time, BUT as far as I can remember, the grips felt about the same width. That might make it seem like a draw to most people, but the Springfield XDSC will hold 3 more rounds than the Glock, in a similarly sized package; the G26 is slightly smaller, as I recall. I think if she shoots the Glock better, likes the trigger better, or likes the grip angle better, then get her the Glock. The pistol has to fit her personal preferences and style for it to be most effective, and become an extension of the body.

The one thing that I slightly question about the options in the poll is related to the particular models. I love subcompact and "baby" models, but I don't think they're always the best thing for women. I personally believe that even when concealing firearms on a person, the grip of the pistol is the hardest thing to hide. Most of the time, and extra inch on the barrel, isn't as big of a deal as an extra inch or two on the grip. The 3" models are nice, but the 4" gives you a longer sight radius, slightly more velocity, and less recoil. I've seen quite a lot of "small" women conceal 4" barreled firearms almost as easily as 3" firearms IF the grip was about the same size as the 3" barreled models. I know that Springfield only offers this in their .45 ACP as the "Compact" model. I don't know as much about all the Glock models, but if there is something similar to the "compact" model in 9mm, I'd really look at it hard. The other option is doing a "grip chop", that plenty of people have done so that the XD "service" model uses and accepts the "Subcompact" magazines, and can be extended to full length with the grip extension. While to you the SC model may not recoil much more differently than the Service of 4" models, I've noticed that to most women, they DO notice a bit more of a difference. Obviously proper grip and techniques helps fight the recoil, and allows for quicker follow-up shots; but I think the 4" just makes it easier, and the extra sight radius just helps. On a pistol that spends a significant amount of time at the house, even the normal "service" models, wouldn't be a problem since concealment may not always be their main carry and function. I think that the LCP and the Airweights will suffer with the shorter sight radius (or crappier sights), and more recoil. In a package that small, you either have to choose a smaller caliber (getting to be less effective), or you have to just put up with the recoil. For a main carry firearm, I didn't recommend to my sister smaller than 9mm, and I wouldn't to you and your wife either. Either way, I think the 4" models are something you should consider, and maybe allow her to test fire an SC and Service model and see if she feels the difference, and which she prefers. My guess would be that after she SHOOTS THEM (not just holds them), it'll be the Service model. Hope this helps.
    Last edited by Tomcat088; January 29th, 2011 at 04:44 AM.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_NEPhila View Post
    Maybe a revolver if she likes them, but if she does want to go revolver stay away from the light weight and short barreled ones.

Let here pick what she can shoot best. I take it she will not be practicing every weeks 2-3 hours. Light weigh revolvers have greater recoil, which helps form a terrible flinch habit. The short barreled revolvers are a bit more difficult to master due to short sight radius. Absolutely avoid the Smith and Wesson J frame revolvers, they are expert guns, not girl guns.

If she likes revolvers, a nice Smith and Wesson model 66, or 686 with a four inch barrel would fill the bill nicely.

Take her to a range, rent some guns, buy some ammo and stand back. It is her gun, let her pick it.
    Agree with what you're saying but most women simply can't conceal full size guns, even when dress and carry mode compromises are made.
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    let them eventually bring the FBI to kill my wife and son over fucking chickens....

(Delaware County)

Since you seem to already carry a G19, I say go Glock and fix any issues she has with training. If she ends up carrying, you'll have the advantage of a common platform.

Letting new shooters "pick what they are most comfortable with" is stupid because they don't know what they don't know. I can take pretty much any new shooter and make them comfortable with whatever given enough time to teach them. My 5'2", 120lb former cheerleader of a sister in one range session went from unable to retract the slide to doing full manipulations and making solid COM hits with anything i handed her from a 380 to a 45.

If you're going to get them training before letting them loose armed (and there's no good reason not to), then you can train them to use any platform you want. You need to put in time to become proficient with whatever you use.

Also, the "common sense" advice for female shooters that i seem to hear all over the place, the airweight revolver, is nonsense. They kick like a mule and have heavy triggers. It's much easier to train a female to rack the slide of an autoloader (I haven't met anyone that can't do it when taught to do so using the proper technique) than to overcome big recoil and a long heavy trigger. Weapon manipulation can be practiced at home with dry fire drills, recoil management can not.
    Last edited by victory; January 29th, 2011 at 05:11 AM.

All of those guns listed are really a bit to small and snappy for a beginner. I'd say you want to look at midsized-frame guns like a G19 or a P239 or a Walther/SW 99 or a Kahr 9mm. I know of many revolvers off the top of my head that are chambered in .327 federal magnum. Ruger makes a good one and so does smith and wesson. For a wheelgun, .327 FM or .32 S&W long is a fantastic learning caliber.
    The M1. Smackin' the bastards since 1932.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast