• Ruger LCP

20 18.87%
  • Other

24 22.64%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

(Lancaster County)

Default Wifey's first pistol, poll

Well she wants one in either pink or lime green so I am assuming that part will have to wait til after she gets the pistol and we will have to send it to a shop somewhere or do it ourselves. She just recently decided she really wants to learn how to shoot, because of me working like a mad man, and her being home with the kids all day. I will be teaching her PROPERLY, in steps. First, we will work on safety and safe handling, then grip and stance, loading and unloading (safely of course) then some test fires to see if she likes it.

Anyhow, she really really wants a pistol for her Birthday in May, she is finally going to be 21 and she has her and the kids safety at Priority Numero uno. I like that she is willing to defend herself, and our kids and home, so I am naturally all for it.

Choices are:

Airweight .357/38
    Springfield XD9SC
    Ruger LCP
    Sig P238
    Glock 26

She doesn't want anything that is going to scare her but she wants something that will do the job. She wants to be able to carry it if necessary and she has tiny hands so Sub compact is the way to go. She is going to be starting off on a .22 first, then move to my G19 until she turns 21 and gets her own. These are the ones out of all the ones I showed her that she likes. Of course, they will be modified to her style standards later on down the road. Vote on the poll and post opinions please. I need all the help I can get, because I don't know much about anything other than my glock.

*forgot the XD9SC in the poll, so if you vote for that, hit other and post it up that is what you voted for*
    Last edited by SharpShooter88; January 29th, 2011 at 03:25 AM. Reason: Duh
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3339&dateline=1300221  289

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Wifey's first pistol, poll

I vote revolver for first time female shooters. Easy to load/unload and consistent trigger pull. If there is a malfunction you just squeeze the trigger again and you're back into action.

I've gone shooting with quite a few females over the years. I don't think I've seen a single one of them rack the slide on any semi auto. My GF did have success racking a ruger sr9 slide, once.
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    let them eventually bring the FBI to kill my wife and son over fucking chickens....

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by jcabin View Post
    I vote revolver for first time female shooters. Easy to load/unload and consistent trigger pull. If there is a malfunction you just squeeze the trigger again and you're back into action.

I've gone shooting with quite a few females over the years. I don't think I've seen a single one of them rack the slide on any semi auto. My GF did have success racking a ruger sr9 slide, once.
    I bought a SR9-C and my wife can't rack the slide on it. However and for whatever reason she had no issues with the Beretta 92fs. She has smalls hands as well and 92fs was a little difficult for her to handle. They do make a centurion model that is smaller with the same slide. that might be an idea.

props to any one who suggested this before I completely read the whole post.

Quote Originally Posted by TargetPractice View Post
    I bought a SR9-C and my wife can't rack the slide on it. However and for whatever reason she had no issues with the Beretta 92fs.
    Just want to say that I may have been a bit presumptuous in my earlier post. I have seen some females have trouble with stiff slides, and some are definitely stiffer than others, along with serrations that hurt tender skin. In that event, you probably have to find something she can operate, and if all else fails, it may be time to look at a revolver (if you were trying for a semi). Not saying this to the poster, here, but in general. What he is saying here made me think a bit.

(Westmoreland County)

My wife loves my Glock 19, shoots it extremely well and has no problem with the slide. She does not like my Glock 26, and often has trouble with the slide. She flat out hated the snappy recoil of my S&W Airweight .38, and she didn't shoot it well at all... even though she liked the feel of it in her hands better than most any other handgun.

(Allegheny County)

Heres an opinion from a female point of view: Mind you I am a beginner and have not shot many guns but the ones I have I can tell you about.

Our first guns were S&W 357 revolver-heavy stainless one is 2/18" the other is 3" J frames. I am not pleased with the recoil even shooting 38sp but they are simple for a beginner shooter and can give confidence - I carry the smaller barrel with a CT grip. As i said, these are simple guns to understand although snappy to shoot but I practice often. These are my carry guns.

I purchased a J Frame S&W 22lr 5" revolver - much easier to shoot and cheaper. It has the same (similar) grip and you can practice your shooting/stance/breathing and this revolver is enjoyable to shoot.

Next we bought a Ruger Mark III hunter 6 7/8" barrel so I can learn about a semi auto pistol and still enjoy practicing. I really like this gun alot!.

So now, for lessons which i would like to continue with, a semi auto with more than 5 shots at a time is in my opinion a better choice. Shooting double action revolvers kills me after a fairly short time. So my hubby and I picked a S&W M&P9mm and my little hands fit it with the small backstraps and the larger fit him. I am just starting with this so I cannot say too much yet as i only shot it once - easier on your hands than the revolvers in 38sp but a little stouter than I was hoping for - plus I was a poor shot first time out so I will really need to learn this type of trigger.

Well, a few things to think about.

Please Note: The poster was issued an infraction for this post.

I know, it's not in your nature, but maybe you should just step back a little and let that little wifey take her pick. Assuming she has a drivers license and you actually allow her to drive, I suggest she goes by herself to a gun shop with a broad selection and (more important) good staff. You should stay at home and cook some nice dinner ... I assume you know how to put some edible food on the table without using the phone.

She will come home with a gun she is comfortable with, you dine her and the rest of the evening we don't need to know any details about.

How's that?

Jan
    So long and thanks for all the fish.

(Lancaster County)

Please Note: The poster was issued an infraction for this post.

Quote Originally Posted by MostlyHarmless View Post
    I know, it's not in your nature, but maybe you should just step back a little and let that little wifey take her pick. Assuming she has a drivers license and you actually allow her to drive, I suggest she goes by herself to a gun shop with a broad selection and (more important) good staff. You should stay at home and cook some nice dinner ... I assume you know how to put some edible food on the table without using the phone.

She will come home with a gun she is comfortable with, you dine her and the rest of the evening we don't need to know any details about.

How's that?

Jan
    Wow, you're age says 46, so why are you acting like you are 12?

You don't let shit go do you? For your information, I tried to get her to drive, but she doesn't want to, and if she did drive, I sure would let her go pick one by herself, but seeing as she doesn't know squat about gun platforms at all, I am going to go along to help her out. Is that okay with you? Hitler? Am I allowed to help my own wife pick out something? Make it a quality time thing instead of an independance thing?

You know, you shouldn't take everything you read on the internet literally, and if you are still all bent out of shape about that other thread and you for some strange reason have a grudge against me, then send me a PM about it. Don't be stupid and post this kind of garbage all over a thread that is supposed to be helpful to me and others making an important decision.
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3339&dateline=1300221  289

Lime green would be one cool looking handgun color.

I too gave my vote for a revolver considering the circumstances, experience level, etc. Just easier to train a new shooter/gun owner on a more basic platform than not.

My wife also has been considering a handgun purchase of her own. We looked at them, I suggested she handle some revolvers to see how they fit. Her reply was "why do I have to have a revolver, why can't I have one of those semi's???" I just smiled knowing that she can absolutely shoot the heck out of any of my pistols, but carrying, training, shooting under stress, etc. bring a few more things to the table than just pointing at a paper target and trying to hit the black circle does.

I said "you can certainly choose a semi-auto but understand that they take more training and skill to operate and you will need to put the time in to be proficient" She is still thinking and no purchase has been decided on yet.

My G26 and just about everything I have, are too thick in the grip for her hands to be comfortable for her. She shoots them well but they feel bulky. The revolver grips were better for her so far.

Good luck and congratulations on your impending purchase and quality range time with your wife.
    Adapt, Adjust and Overcome.

(Monroe County)

I voted for this:

I know she will like it.

And it wont break the bank either
    Last edited by mrnyman; January 29th, 2011 at 04:16 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast