20 18.87%
  • Other

24 22.64%
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    (Clinton County)

Default Re: Wifey's first pistol, poll

Quote Originally Posted by Orive 8 View Post
    SharpShooter88,

I am responding to your post on my husband's sign in. I have answered this same style question on different posts/forums so maybe it will be of help to you:

Here are my suggestions for anyone deciding to carry a firearm for self-defense; it does not really matter if they are female or male.

1. Training
    2. Training
    3. Training

4. Try to get to a range that has some rentals so they can try several different guns under the direction of someone that can steer them towards the “right” kind of gun. (Don’t let them go willy nilly, they end up picking something like a Jennings 22 or such, cuz its cute and little.)

5. Stick with a 9mm, no real GOOD reason for a new shooter to pick any other caliber. Again, no real GOOD reason. It doesn’t matter what reason they think they have, its probably not a real GOOD one.

6. Have them take a hard look at the following guns:
    • The Glock 9mm, the 19 or 26. The 19 is great as an all around gun, the 26 is slightly better for concealment.
    • The S&W M&P compact 9mm. This gun has a great grip size, with interchangeable back straps. (a big + for smaller handed individuals, though if the person looks at the new 4th Gen Glocks, they will also have this option)
    • The XD 9mm sub-compact, another good reliable gun with a good size grip.

I don’t think that a new shooter male or female can go wrong with any of the above listed. They provide very reliable guns with one-trigger pull systems. No safety levers or decockers that have to be manipulated (some extra work to learn these properly & instinctively). All three have been around enough that there are numerous holster options for them.

7. When the person decides that he/she wants’ to carry, they need to make a life style decision. (Loan her In the Gravest Extreme, I believe that it is a must read for anyone that is going to carry a firearm.)

8. I carry in an inside the waistband holster, if you’re going to carry 24/7/365 this is the best option. Women in particular hate to try this, mainly because they want to wear Size 4 on their Size 6 or 8 build. When you decide to be serious about carrying, you find yourself buying your clothes with concealed carry in mind. Given time, the right clothing choices, and the right holster & belt combination; women can carry full time just like men.

DeAnne
    Dead on. My wife shot several guns. When it came time for her to choose I did not get in the way. She choose a M&Pc 9mm after handling at least 8 other guns. They let her rack the slide and dry fire as much as she wanted. Over one hour later she decided. She carries every where she is allowed. We have been to 3 training classes. The last one was an advanced tactical. She loved it.
    The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned.

(Lancaster County)

Thank you for all the info, had to go sit in the corner for the day...Anyway, I think if she is interested I am going to sign her up for a basic pistol class, and then if she decided to carry we may both attend a self d class, just to keep me sharp and teach me a few things(maybe) and to let my wife see what self d is all about.
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3339&dateline=1300221  289

Quote Originally Posted by SharpShooter88 View Post
    Thank you for all the info, had to go sit in the corner for the day...
    For almost the same reason as me. Sorry that what I did got us both into this.

Anyway, I think if she is interested I am going to sign her up
    Anyhow, is that exactly how you meant that? That YOU will sign HER up? You don't think that some things need for the student to sign up for themselves?

Jan
    So long and thanks for all the fish.

(Delaware County)

Thank you for all the info, had to go sit in the corner for the day...Anyway, I think if she is interested I am going to sign her up for a basic pistol class, and then if she decided to carry we may both attend a self d class, just to keep me sharp and teach me a few things(maybe) and to let my wife see what self d is all about.
    If you don't mind the drive to Philly, i know a very qualified no-nonsense instructor that will privately train you and the wife at a very reasonable couples rate. Absolutely top notch.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by MostlyHarmless View Post
    For almost the same reason as me. Sorry that what I did got us both into this.

Anyhow, is that exactly how you meant that? That YOU will sign HER up? You don't think that some things need for the student to sign up for themselves?

Jan
    Are you kidding me?

Not even going to respond. How over analytical can you be?

Are you kidding me?

Not even going to respond. How over analytical can you be?
    Just wanted to be 100% sure.

You earned it.

Jan
    So long and thanks for all the fish.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by victory View Post
    If you don't mind the drive to Philly, i know a very qualified no-nonsense instructor that will privately train you and the wife at a very reasonable couples rate. Absolutely top notch.
    Thanks Victory, appreciate the info. Like I said, I will see what she wants to do.

I am in a foul mood now, going to go have some coffee...

(Lancaster County)

Wow, this thread just got shorter now that I remembered the ignore list...

Hokkmike Guest

Revolver is always a good first gun! Stainless makes it even better.

(Monroe County)

My wife does not have her own pistol as of yet but grabs whichever I am not using. She is either with a G26 or KT P3AT. She likes them both, glock for it's shootability and KT for it's concealability. She has no issues racking the slide of either gun nor does she have a problem racking the slide on any of the semi's in our safe.

I would have your wife shoot a bunch of guns and pick whatever she is most accurate and quick with because follow up shots matter. Have her look for a concealable firearm after getting her house/main gun out of the way.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast