(York County)

Default Re: Wifey's first pistol, poll

Glock 26. I am biased

GB
    Certified Glock Armorer

(Allegheny County)

G26

9mm ammo will be cheaper for her to shoot than .380 or .38 special .

She can do a majority of practice with your G19 and most skills will translate directly.

You guys can share mags.

cost

aftermarket parts, sights, holster, ect

reliability

Beyond that start looking at AIWB holsters for her. Women have hips, it makes strong side carry difficult. Having said that appendix carry, esp with a striker fired no safety gun has a lot larger risk at the moment of reholster. She NEEDS to understand that risk fully and always reholster deliberatley and with the muzzle away pointing away from her. Ive heard Todd Green teaches a good class specifically on appendix carry.
    http://www.firearmstrainingandtactic...read.php?t=781
    Last edited by Shawn.L; January 29th, 2011 at 06:50 PM.

(Allegheny County)

In a semi I recommend the Sig P239.

In a revolver I recommend the S&W model 60 w/ 3" bbl.

Both are small enough to conceal yet big enough to be recoil friendly. That is of course if either of these fit her hand and she likes them

I like what Steve Nephia and Tomcat088 are telling you, and frankly, agree with both of them. Racking a slide for a female is attitude, not strength. My 16 yr. old, twin daughters rack the slides of everything I own, but they have been shooting for a while, too. They only weigh 100lbs. We got the racking the slide thing down before we ever went to the range. 9mm or stronger, yes. Stay away from high recoil, short, light weight revolvers, until she becomes experienced. I do not trust the hypersmall semis, but a lot of people swear by them. Let her choose, but keep her within reason, if possible. If I were you, I'd be preparing to Duracote a new G19, or you take the new one and Duracote yours.

Pink or lime?... You have to love them... Wives, that is.

Other:

Walther P22.

Fits well in small hands. .22 is great for learning how to handle a weapon. Can be had in pink. And even when she moves on to something in a larger caliber (and she should), .22 pistols are still lots of fun, and good for getting kids started too.

(Philadelphia County)

Ruger SR9c.

Slim profile should make it a lot easier to carry/conceal than a blocky Glock/XD

(Susquehanna County)

I voted other.

I like the revolver idea but not an airweight. Model 60 with a 3" barrel or you could even consider one of the new models in .327 Mag like the S&W 632 or Ruger SP101.

Small enough packages to conceal easily but big enough for comfortable shooting and training (The most important element).

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

(Indiana County)

My wife has limited hand strength due to a nerve condition. She prefers semi-auto pistols. I've taught her a way to rack the slide on almost any locked breech pistol- While standing holding the pistol in the shooting hand pointing the weapon downward at an angle, grasp the slide tightly pinched between the thumb and fingers of the off hand and then push the pistol forward in a sharp swift motion using the pistol to rack the slide. This works VERY well for any woman I've had try it, as it is much easier to hold the smaller, harder to grasp slide stationary while pushing the heavier pistol with good grip forward. ( I learned this trick from a female pistol instructor). Straight blow-back .380 and 9MM pistols should be avoided, as their very heavy recoil springs make slide racking a very stiff affair-even when used with proper technique.

As for the pistol. My wife has a Walther PK-380 .380 auto which is easy to rack has a grip comfortable for most women and is fairly easy to shoot well. It is very similar to the P22 (which she also has). Compact Glocks are also good choices for many women. As for revolvers, I agree with some others that a 3 inch barrel model 60 S&W is about as small as I'd want to start a novice off with. Lot's of load options in .38 spl. Grips can be had in several bright colors.
    Last edited by 300plus; January 29th, 2011 at 08:22 PM.
    NRA PATRON LIFE MEMBER, GOA, SAF, PAFOA

(Northampton County)

Suggest you look into Charter Arms Pink Lady Undercover .38 Spl Light 12oz as her eventual carry piece.. Light, and easy to handle.
    http://www.gunsamerica.com/969813430...5_Shot_NIB.htm

(Cumberland County)

My wife has problems racking some of the semi-auto's. When we go to the range she wears shooting gloves that give her a better grip. She enjoyed shooting my new P238. She carries the Ruger LCR but it is quite snappy. I don't know if a traditional semi-auto with a hammer would be easier to rack. At the range you can use any technique to rack a semi-auto, but a carry pistol has to be easy to use under stress.
    Last edited by Neilthepilot; January 30th, 2011 at 09:36 AM.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast