Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lebanon County)

Default RCBS Scale Problem (Chargemaster 1500)

Well this was unexpected. My RCBS powder dispenser and scale have been working flawlessly since new (years) and many, many loads were charged/weighed using it.

So anyways to my surprise I went to use my scale (1500) to weigh some charges from my Dillon. Every time I use the scale I recalibrate prior to use and then weigh some known weights to be certain of its readings. So I began the calibration process and all was well. I then put my pan on and hit "Zero" to zero the scale, and thats when I had a problem. I hit zero and it went into the calibration mode again. I assumed it didn't like something so I recalibrated, I put the pan back on, the weight of the pan was good, so I hit "Zero" again and it went right back to the calibration again.

I tried leaving the unit unplugged for a day, triple checked everything that I was going, made sure it was level, yadda yadda. I even disconnected it from the dispenser thinking that could be having an issue and sure enough the same problem with just the scale.

I guess I am happy that it isn't the dispenser because I can handle a new scale if it comes down to it. I am really suspecting a button issue. It is if the zero button has now become the calibrate button. The scale still measures exactly so umm yea keypad problem?

Here is a youtube vid I did of the issue
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6EdmrGdCHY

Anyone have any thoughts?
    Last edited by Fr0sty; January 29th, 2011 at 12:45 AM.

Default Re: RCBS Scale Problem (Chargemaster 1500)

I didn't watch your video, but I already have a pretty good idea of what happened. RCBS HAS had a problem with some of the keypads on the units, and they've admitted it. Sometimes the keypads will go out, sometimes the buttons will act like a different button, and sometimes other strange issues. From all the experiences that I've read, they will be happy to replace the malfunctioning unit. It sucks because you won't have it for a short period of time (since RCBS customer service is good), BUT you get a new one. From the symptoms you describe, and the few problems that I've read about the Chargemaster, it's your keypad (as you suspected). Just contact them, and I think they'll make it right for you.

Edit: I did watch your video, and I'm pretty sure that you're exactly right. I would contact RCBS. So far, they've been very willing to replace or repair units that were out of warranty. It appears that they've noticed this was their mistake, and have been willing to take care of it. So contact them even though it's out of warranty.
    Last edited by Tomcat088; January 29th, 2011 at 05:00 AM.

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by Tomcat088 View Post
    I didn't watch your video, but I already have a pretty good idea of what happened. RCBS HAS had a problem with some of the keypads on the units, and they've admitted it. Sometimes the keypads will go out, sometimes the buttons will act like a different button, and sometimes other strange issues. From all the experiences that I've read, they will be happy to replace the malfunctioning unit. It sucks because you won't have it for a short period of time (since RCBS customer service is good), BUT you get a new one. From the symptoms you describe, and the few problems that I've read about the Chargemaster, it's your keypad (as you suspected). Just contact them, and I think they'll make it right for you.

Edit: I did watch your video, and I'm pretty sure that you're exactly right. I would contact RCBS. So far, they've been very willing to replace or repair units that were out of warranty. It appears that they've noticed this was their mistake, and have been willing to take care of it. So contact them even though it's out of warranty.

Tomcat,

Thanks for the feedback. After I posted this last night I became a google troll and found examples of the buttons going south. Between what I found and your confirmation I think the problem is nailed.

Next step is to call RCBS

I had the same problem as other users here: buttons performing the action of the button to their right, or doing nothing at all even though the RCBS Chargemaster 1500 Combo beeped. I could calibrate, but then pressing Zero would start the calibration process over again.

My unit is about six years old (although I've only used it about 10 times), so RCBS wouldn't replace it for less than $200 plus the cost of shipping mine back. I pointed out that it would be cheaper for me to buy a Lyman or Hornady dispenser from Amazon.

That's when an RCBS tech support guy suggested that I unscrew the scale, clean the male & female sides of the electrical connector with electrician's contact cleaner spray, let it dry, and try again. I used isopropyl alcohol and a Q-Tip to rub the male and saturate the female. After drying and reconnecting, my Combo worked perfectly once more.

Hope this works for others out there. I really didn't want to sink $200+ into another unit that might do the same thing. Glad I didn't have to.