Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Centre County)

Default Planning a SPR Build...

Well im bored so im searching around for various parts and options for a 18" SPR that i'll build in the next few months. So i got a pretty good idea what i want to do, but i'm always open to suggestions so here it goes.

- Stag Arms Lower (Already owned)
    - VLTOR VIS Upper/Rail system (one piece, extended mid-lenght to cover the low profile gas block...)
    - Noveske 18" Polygonial Rifled Barrel, (416 Stainless, NATO Match Chamber, 1-7 Twist)
    - Magpul PRS Stock
    - Smith Enterprises Vortex Flash Hider (not important but cool nontheless)
    - National Match Bolt carrier? (Noveske barrel "kit" includes shotpeened bolt)
    - ARMS Backup sights both front and rear
    - Optics not decided on yet...

I figure its gonna cost me about 1200$ to build the upper, pricey yes but I already got a cheapy AR that i "abuse."

Alright, tear me apart guys!

Quote Originally Posted by Capt. Jean-Luc Picard
    Oh yes, thats how it starts. The road from legitimate suspicion to rampant paranoia is very much shorter than we think.

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Planning a SPR Build...

That's a lot of money for a barrel. No one else make an 18" middy that's cheaper? I probably paid $180 for the armalite chrome lined midlength 16" on my rifle.

If it were me, since you're covering the gas block i'd go with the full rifle length handguard. Might as well cover the most amount of barrel and get as much rail real estate as possible.
    Last edited by MarcS; December 3rd, 2007 at 09:37 PM.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by MarcS View Post
    That's a lot of money for a barrel. No one else make an 18" middy that's cheaper? I probably paid $180 for the armalite chrome lined midlegnth 16" on my rifle.
    You are right it is a lot of money, but 18" barrels in 1-7 twist are like a ghost. As far as i know only a handful actually make 18" barrels. What I want with the Noveske is the polygonal rifling and a Match Chamber designed for Mk262 Mod.1 rounds (also shoots standard NATO Ammo) And if i remember correctly 416 stainless is difficult to work with but is a great barrel material.

NOTE: This post is by Agent Ronin, I forgot to log in with my Account since i am using Kenshin's Laptop right now... :P
    Freedom is paid with the blood of those who understand what being free really means. (Me)

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - 1775 Benjamin Franklin

(Allegheny County)

Sounds like fun. Your ass had better post pics of that puppy when it's done.
    "Ya only need legs to kick ass baby boy" - Bartender in Feast III

SPR will be my next build, and first full built... let me know what you decide to go with

(Lawrence County)

Can't really tear it up. You won't get a much better gun for that money.

Although my WOA barrel is an 18" 1:7 and shoots .25 MOA with handloads.........

Please post pics on completion.

Lycansprslookbadassthrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(Fulton County)

Quote Originally Posted by MarcS View Post
    That's a lot of money for a barrel. No one else make an 18" middy that's cheaper? I probably paid $180 for the armalite chrome lined midlength 16" on my rifle.

If it were me, since you're covering the gas block i'd go with the full rifle length handguard. Might as well cover the most amount of barrel and get as much rail real estate as possible.

MMMMMM Noveske Rifleworks Goodies

sure you could go cheap on a barrel...... But why

(Chester County)

The only things I'd CONSIDER changing would be the Vltor rail system, and the use of the flash hider.

I would think you'd get better groups with a target crown. The Monolithic type rail systems don't do it for me, IMO. Too much weight, and on a rifle like that, I'd think a PRI with small rails where you need them would work well.

Just my initial thoughts...

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by synergy View Post
    The only things I'd CONSIDER changing would be the Vltor rail system, and the use of the flash hider.

I would think you'd get better groups with a target crown. The Monolithic type rail systems don't do it for me, IMO. Too much weight, and on a rifle like that, I'd think a PRI with small rails where you need them would work well.

I appreciate your suggestion, just for the record though the VLTOR VIS system weighs 26oz. Thats including the upper and forward assist. So I wouldnt consider that very heavy, especially considering i typically lug around a M1

Quote Originally Posted by Capt. Jean-Luc Picard
    Oh yes, thats how it starts. The road from legitimate suspicion to rampant paranoia is very much shorter than we think.

(Fulton County)

Quote Originally Posted by synergy View Post

im going to have to disagree with you

daniel defense Omega Free Float rail weighs 8 ounces!!

Wont Fit on a middy gas system yet but its dam lite

http://www.danieldefense.com/?page=s...product_id=109

Pri is what the military uses on some versions of there SPR

they also use Knights Armament Company M4 match rails

here are some specs

* Upper Receiver: The upper receiver blocks themselves were initially supplied by Colt, with some of those being from Diemaco as well (Colt has been outsourcing parts of its production to the Canadian firm for a while now—Colt purchased Diemaco in February 2005, but continues to supply firearms under both names). There is a debate about whether the upper blocks for the Mk 12 rifles, though, came solely from Armalite, or were a mix of receivers from Armalite and Colt/Diemaco. All of these upper receivers were flat top, but have been seen both with the old style tear drop forward assist and the new round style. There is, however, no obvious consistency in this regard.

* Lower Receiver: When the SPR program was still in the phase where it was just a receiver, Crane assembled all of its prototypes using either M16A1 or M4A1 lowers. It is unknown whether this pattern continued as the program progressed. There is also some issue about whether, when the Navy type-classified the weapon, Precision Reflex Incorporated (PRI) began assembling the rifles themselves. While a number of options were tried in the end, a Knight's Armament Company (KAC) 2-stage trigger was finally decided upon as the standard fit.

* Barrel: An 18 in (457 mm) threaded-muzzle match-grade free floating stainless steel heavy barrel with a 1:7 in (178 mm) rifle twist ratio. The barrels have a special contour to maximize accuracy and minimize weight; they are manufactured by Douglas Barrels. An OPS Inc. muzzle brake and collar (to align the OPS Inc. 12th Model Suppressor) is installed with the barrel. These barrels were designed to take advantage of the new Mk 262 cartridge, which uses a 77 grain (5 g) bullet, that is now being fielded.

* Buttstock: SPRs in action have been seen with M16A1 buttstocks, M16A2 buttstocks, retractable M4 buttstocks, and the Crane Enhanced retractable buttstock. It is readily compatible with any type of stock system developed for the AR-15 weapon system.

* Handguards: In all cases a free floating forearm is utilized. This handguard does not ever touch the barrel, increasing the accuracy of the weapon by removing increased vibration exerted on the barrel by the rest of the gun. The first SPRs use a PRI Gen I or Gen II carbon-fiber free-float tubes. The SPR/A, SPR/B, and Mk 12 Mod 1 all use the Knights Armament Company (KAC) M4 Match Free-Floating RAS (Rail Adapter System). The Mk 12 Mod 0 uses PRI Gen III free-float tubes. The Gen I and Gen II Freefloat Forearms are combined with the Atlantic Research Marketing Systems (ARMS) #38 SPR MOD Sleeve, while the Gen III Freefloat Forearm, due its it larger barrel nut, only works with the ARMS #38 SPR PEQ-2-3.

* Sights: The original SPR used an early PRI flip-up front sight with an elevation dial, which has since been discontinued. The Mk 12 Mod 0 uses the current PRI flip-up front sight. The SPR/A, SPR/B, and Mk 12 Mod 1 use the KAC rail foreend flip-up front sight. The SPR and Mk 12 Mod 0 use the ARMS #40 flip up rear sight. The rest of the models use the KAC 600 meter flip up rear.

* Optics: Due to the relative modularity of the system, optics (as well as almost everything else) can be mounted per the operator's wishes, however, this weapon system is most often seen with a 3.5–10×40 mm Leupold LR M3 (SPR/A), a 2.5–9×36 mm TS-30 (SPR/B), or a 3–9×36 mm TS-30 A2 (Mk 12 Mod 0/1) Mid Range/Tactical Illuminated Reticle Dayscope (civilian versions are known as the Leupold Mark 4 MR/T 3–9×36). Night vision devices can also be attached. These scopes usually come with flip open dust covers and a honeycomb anti-glare anti-reflection device (ARD). Given Nightforce Optics' recent NAVSPECWAR contract, it is believed that many NAVSPECWAR issued SPRs will use the Nightforce 2.5-10x24 NXS scope [1]

* Mounts: As mentioned before, a long accessory rail, called a SWAN Sleeve (ARMS SPR MOD or ARMS #38 SPR PEQ-2-3), manufactured by ARMS, is installed, running the length of the rifle. The SPR/A and SPR/B both used the KAC M4 Match FF RAS. Two ARMS #22 Throwlever 30 mm steel rings are used to mount the dayscope. The SPR/A, SPR/B, and Mk 12 Mod 1 use ARMS #22 high rings, while due to the increased height from the SWAN Sleeve, the SPR and Mk 12 Mod 0 use ARMS #22 medium rings. An under-the-handguard ARMS #32 Throwlever mount is used to mount the Harris bipod (the ARMS #42 Throwlever mount is used to mount the Versa-Pod); this features a quick release action.

* Bipod: Originally Versa-Pods, a cheaper Chinese-made copy of the relatively expensive Parker-Hale swivel bipod, were used, but were taken off the system after the initial SPR. Currently, a Harris swivel model bipod is typically used with the SPR, and is sometimes seen with a KMW Pod-Loc tension adjustment device. As mentioned above, the bipod is mounted via a ARMS #32 throwlever device attached to the bottom rail of the rifle's forearm. The ARMS mount is used on both Mod 0 and Mod 1.

* Suppressor: The suppressor threads directly onto the OPS Inc. muzzle brake and uses the collar to stay centered. It is an OPS Inc. 12th Model SPR Muzzle Brake Suppressor (MBS).

And i just want to remind all of you that Friday is Hawaiian shirt day
    Last edited by fultonCoShooter; December 3rd, 2007 at 11:48 PM. Reason: Memo:TPS report

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast