Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Question

(Bucks County)

Default Question

Ok been here for a while and read tons, but have a quick question.
    Where can I go online to read the carry law and self defense laws?

I have read here over and over try to retreat etc, but if your walking and someone pulls a knife on you can you or would you just shoot?

I would probably pull out and aim, but what is your rationale and better yet the law?

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Question

Quote Originally Posted by 18902man View Post
    Where can I go online to read the carry law and self defense laws?
    At the very top of every page on this site, click "Reference Library"

I have read here over and over try to retreat etc, but if your walking and someone pulls a knife on you can you or would you just shoot?
    Legally, if you are not at home and can retreat in complete safety you must do so before employing deadly force.

Also, you must be in fear for your life or great bodily harm before you employ deadly force.

I would probably pull out and aim, but what is your rationale and better yet the law?
    Never draw your weapon unless you intend to use it - do not draw with the intent to only frighten.

(Blair County)

Unfortunately there is no hard and fast law about what is justifiable. Honestly if you have the time to think about that your probably not justified. It mostly depends on what an ass your DA is. (ours is a big ass). You will more then likely be arrested no matter what. Better then being stabbed though I guess.

(York County)

As lildobe mentioned, don't draw unless you actually intend to use it - BUT - DON'T USE IT (simply because you drew it) if the perp responds by ending the threat...

When the threat ends, so does your justification!

I think it was GunLawyer001 who said something like:
    Only shoot if jail is better than the alternative...

Because in most situations the DA is going to look very hard for a way to charge you unless it is extremely obvious that you were in imminent danger....

Quote Originally Posted by lildobe View Post
    Also, you must be in fear for your life or great bodily harm before you employ deadly force.
    The legal standard is reasonable fear . . . and somebody who wasn't there will make that judgment later on.
    Quote Originally Posted by lildobe View Post
    Never draw your weapon unless you intend to use it - do not draw with the intent to only frighten.
    I'd say unless you are justified and willing to use it. Criminals are pretty good at recognizing a bluff. A good resource is the book "In the Gravest Extreme."

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by ImminentDanger View Post
    As lildobe mentioned, don't draw unless you actually intend to use it - BUT - DON'T USE IT (simply because you drew it) if the perp responds by ending the threat...

When the threat ends, so does your justification!

I think it was GunLawyer001 who said something like:
    Only shoot if jail is better than the alternative...

Because in most situations the DA is going to look very hard for a way to charge you unless it is extremely obvious that you were in imminent danger....

And if it were to happen, never, EVER apologize for saving your life, if you have to use deadly force!
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggies Coach View Post
    Cause white people are awesome. Happy now......LOL.

It continues to amaze me that you guys have such a good carry law and yet you have a duty to retreat and in this gawd for saken state we have a no duty to retreat, but we can't carry

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Drylok View Post
    It continues to amaze me that you guys have such a good carry law and yet you have a duty to retreat and in this gawd for saken state we have a no duty to retreat, but we can't carry

The reason we have a duty to retreat is *because* we can carry. Think about it, why would you need a "duty to retreat" when you are not permitted to carry a deadly weapon in the first place?
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.