Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default A gun that I thpught would have had top sells?

A gun that I thpught would have had top sells? The Walther PP9/40 it was sleek, has a special trigger, felt good in the hand, very versitle started the back strap swicht out for closer fit. Looked easy to conceal overall sizr and accuarate. I don't know what happened?

I do know that I decided not to buy one because the SW99 looked the same, and was $100 cheaper but everyone was telling me they were slight differences. I stop to examine the gun and bought something that I knew about another 1911 or Beretta.

Did I miss out a great gun?

Any news on SW99's jhp ftf problem, whereas the P99 didn't have this problem its rumored. I never owned either so I can't defend or confirm. What have you heard or experiemced?
    Last edited by Neko456; January 28th, 2011 at 10:47 AM.

Default Re: A gun that I thpught would have had top sells?

Might want to visit the Walther forum for a better answer to your question.
    Pricing might have something to do with top sales.
    Glock $500 / Walther P99 $700. People do shop buy price.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by group17 View Post
    Might want to visit the Walther forum for a better answer to your question.
    Pricing might have something to do with top sales.
    Glock $500 / Walther P99 $700. People do shop buy price.
    You can find the P99 online for $550, about the same price as a Gen4 Glock, which is a closer comparison than a Gen3, though even with the P99 competing mostly with the Gen3 it's still not that much more. I don't have a P99 yet but I've handled them, they feel like a better thought out, more refined Glock. If I was choosing between a G19 and a P99 I'd definitely go with the P99. Probably didn't take off because S&W never really advertised it all that much, and there aren't many shops that keep them in stock, $60 for the Walther branded mags probably didn't help either, though the SW99 mags were about half that. The PPS has helped the P99 get some recognition, and they seem to be becoming somewhat popular lately, though still nowhere near the level of Glocks, XD's, M&P's, etc.
    Last edited by FCastle88; January 28th, 2011 at 02:19 PM.

(Blair County)

Everything I ever read about these said they were junk. I loved the way they feel in hand. I seem to recall some guns coming apart during firing or something like that. Pretty much killed the gun.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Edg View Post
    Everything I ever read about these said they were junk. I loved the way they feel in hand. I seem to recall some guns coming apart during firing or something like that. Pretty much killed the gun.
    I tried google and all I could find was a problem with the base plates breaking on the .40 mags, and that was around 6 years ago, supposedly a bad batch of polymer or something. Pretty much every review I've read on them has been positive.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Edg View Post
    That sounds more like the Walther P22, actually...

I never heard any such issue w/ the P99 or SW99 series...

Regards,

Bones

(Montgomery County)

I have the "trifecta" in these. The Walther P99 in 9mm and 0.40 S&W (both are the German made versions) and the SW99 in 0.45 ACP, where the slide/barrel are S&W, frame is Walther. They eat anything fed to them, but if you have the 40, use the blue follower magazine version.

The major problem was that S&W brought out their M&P models and the P99s would have been "a distraction to their salesmen" as they are much better made in the case of the German versions. When SW made their versions, if you look at the prices then they were direct competitors of the M&P. The P22 is the pistol that is a piece of junk in the Walther series but the 380 has a good press and following. Dave_n

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Dave_n View Post
    I have the "trifecta" in these. The Walther P99 in 9mm and 0.40 S&W (both are the German made versions) and the SW99 in 0.45 ACP, where the slide/barrel are S&W, frame is Walther. They eat anything fed to them, but if you have the 40, use the blue follower magazine version.

The major problem was that S&W brought out their M&P models and the P99s would have been "a distraction to their salesmen" as they are much better made in the case of the German versions. When SW made their versions, if you look at the prices then they were direct competitors of the M&P. The P22 is the pistol that is a piece of junk in the Walther series but the 380 has a good press and following. Dave_n
    I'm a fan. They also come in 2 trigger variants. I have a buddy with a compact in .40 and a full size 9mm. I like them both, a lot.
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

(Northampton County)

I was able to compare them side-by-side in the shop where I used to work. The only difference I could see was a contouring of the slides, besides the price which was about $150 less for the S&W version. Thus the S&W outsold the Walther about 4 to 1. I liked the decocking "button" on the top of the slide - a nice feature that was a good selling point over the Glocks which we also sold. Comparing the insides - I'd have to say that the Walther showed a bit more care taken in the machining of the slides.
    The NEWEST version is the MR Eagle produced by Magnum Research Inc. (now owned by Kahr) HQ in Delaware (formerly HQed in Minnesota). This should not be confused with the CZ75 inspired Baby Desert Eagle. The NEW MR Eagle is virtually identical to the Walther P99 - Walther makes the frames, the slides and barrels are made in the US. The design endures.
    Jim Hauff H&R Collector In memory of my friends Bill Goforth and Jim Ritchie.

(Allegheny County)

I have had a SW99c (compact) 9mm for several years now and its been a really good gun. Shoots anything I put in it. Great for a lefty because of the location of the mag release. Sights are super easy to change. Likes 125gr RN Cast loads very much. I got it at a really good price at the time with 4 mags. I don't shoot it as much as I used too but its always loaded and stashed :-) for home protection. I would trust it anytime.