Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Pike County)

Default Sig P226 X5 Tactical....thoughts?

Sig P226 x5 Tactical, 9mm.

Anyone have one?
    Can I get some feedback, reviews, etc.

Im looking for a nice, accurate, longer barrel (5") pistol besides my P229, G19 or G27. Not interested in 1911 style at the moment.

Default Re: Sig P226 X5 Tactical....thoughts?

The claim is they are very accurate. They must be damn good because they cost the same as a SA TRP, and no one has one in stock. It is a good looking SOG.

(Beaver County)

I can't comment on the actual function of the weapon because it is way out of my price range but as far as looks go, you'd have a hard time making a finer choice. I love the 226 and I like it even better with an upturned beavertail. If you have your heart set on it, go for it. I don't really buy into one gun being more accurate than another though. I think the perception of a gun's 'accuracy' depends more on how comfortable the shooter is with it than anything right or wrong with the pistol. As far as this particular pistol goes though, I bet it has an amazing trigger pull. I'd almost be afraid to shoot something that expensive and beautiful though . . .

(Bucks County)

I've shot someone's X5 Tactical 9mm. It's very nice, handled well, and functioned well. I had been considering X5, but there is some issues with the extractor. SIG went from an external extractor on the P226 to an internal extractor on the X5. Apparently there's some issues with FTE as a result, according to various forums including Brian Enos forum. They mainly mention the X5 Competition model or the All-Around model as having problems, and the Tactical model is not mentioned much. But I'm not sure if this is because there is less Tactical models around, or if this is because Tactical model doesn't have this problem.
    If you want to shoot the X5 for competition (this was supposedly designed as a competition gun wasn't it?), I believe you can NOT shoot most of the X5 models in the IPSC Production division. The X5 Tactical is listed as OK on their list IF it has a DA/SA trigger; but as far as I can tell, only SA Tactical models are imported into the US, so wouldn't qualify. Of course it would qualify for Open division, if you want.
    The X5 also would NOT qualify for IDPA Stock Service Pistol division (39 oz max, and DA) due to being SA and/or weight. The Tactical model might qualify for the Enhance Service Pistol division (SA ok and 43 oz max), but the length is very close to not fitting in the Size box -- I'm not sure if this would fit. Maybe someone else might know this? The other X5 models are too heavy (these are heavy pistols) for the ESP division, regardless of the question of the size.

I'm just not sure what I would use it for. Hope this doesn't discourage you too much if you still want to get the X5, but I thought I'd post my thoughts since it's a lot of money by any standard. Good luck.
    Last edited by GunWhatGun; August 3rd, 2012 at 12:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GunWhatGun View Post
    I'm just not sure what I would use it for.
    One thing I would use it for is the "Hey, check this beast out," when one of me mates came by.

Nice gun a excellent Compact not as neat/simple as a Glock 19. But in some ways smoother. Excellent controls, look and feel. A very good shooter.

(Pike County)

Quote Originally Posted by GunWhatGun View Post
    If you want to shoot the X5 for competition (this was supposedly designed as a competition gun wasn't it?), I believe you can NOT shoot most of the X5 models in the IPSC Production division. The X5 Tactical is listed as OK on their list IF it has a DA/SA trigger; but as far as I can tell, only SA Tactical models are imported into the US, so wouldn't qualify. Of course it would qualify for Open division, if you want.
    The X5 also would NOT qualify for IDPA Stock Service Pistol division (39 oz max, and DA) due to being SA and/or weight. The Tactical model might qualify for the Enhance Service Pistol division (SA ok and 43 oz max), but the length is very close to not fitting in the Size box -- I'm not sure if this would fit. Maybe someone else might know this? The other X5 models are too heavy (these are heavy pistols) for the ESP division, regardless of the question of the size.

I have 3 SIG's and am partial to them, but I'm just not sure about the X5, due to the worry about function and also I'm just not sure what I would use it for. Hope this doesn't discourage you too much if you still want to get the X5, but I thought I'd post my thoughts since it's a lot of money by any standard. Good luck.

thanks for the comments. i was considering it for competition in the future, not at the present. i have a p229 elite dark (.40) w/ the enhancement pkg done by SIg and LOVE IT.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Neko456 View Post
    Nice gun a excellent Compact not as neat/simple as a Glock 19. But in some ways smoother. Excellent controls, look and feel. A very good shooter.
    Compact?

I wouldn't call any P226 a "compact," let alone the X5 series, w/ longer barrel, wood grips, and flared controls, etc...

Regards,

Bones