Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Dauphin County)

Default Best Ranges in HBG area?

Newish to the area and looking for the best ranges in the area. Would like to take everything in to consideration facilities, cost, etc. Supply store close by always a bonus. Thanks everyone

(Cumberland County)

Default Re: Best Ranges in HBG area?

WSSA is a good club, they allow shooting on the move, drawing from a holster, fun stuff like that.

http://www.westshoresportsmen.org/

You'll need sponsorship from a member if you want to join.

My personal favorite is the Dillsburg Fish and Game Club. It's $20 a year to join, and it's a tiny little club out in the middle of no where with a 25, 50, and 100 yard range, a little steel range, and a muzzle loader station. They also have a really nice indoor archery range, but I'm not into archery, so it does me no good. They do clay shoots of some sort weekly too. It's not the nicest facility in the world but it's cheap and it's very private. I'm almost always alone when I go.

There are always the State Game Land ranges too. They're free... And you know what they say... PBS is free because it sucks...

If you're interested in any of these let me know, I'll point you in the right direction.

All of these are on the West Shore, because that's where I'm at. None of them are far from Harrisburg proper, Dillsburg is the farthest, probably 25 or 30 miles.
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

(Dauphin County)

I like the sound of the Dillsburg one I don't like a place that is crowded. I had gone to that free range down around Dillsburg area long time ago I was shoulder to shoulder with people. I don't need anything over a 150 yards at this point and mostly will be pistol shooting but some with my AR. I was also told Mechanicsburg Sportsmen's Association was a good club and geographically is the closest to me. I drove to York today and used a public indoor range and wasn't bad but at $20 pop and the drive not worth it. How are the indoor facilities at WSSA I do like all the options there as well.

(Cumberland County)

I'm a member at the Mechanicsburg Sportsmans Club. It's pretty nice. I wouldn't mind checking out some other ranges, but it's nice and definatly gets the job done.

Dillsburg SGL range sucks. I was there two weekends ago and it was packed. I really don't like public SGL ranges because of that reason. I like shooting by myself with friends, or with only a few people. Being shoulder to shoulder as you said is uncomfortable. I don't mind other people at the range, but when it's to that point, I get kind of nervous.

(Dauphin County)

Nervous is the perfect word because you have no clue what moron is there and has no clue what they are doing. At least at a club chances are everyone has at least a little knowledge. Also when its less crowded I can at least keep tract of everyone. Yes I am not completely anti social I enjoy shooting with friends or a few friendly strangers. I know there is a good range up off of Devonshire Rd near Colonial Park area cant remember what it is called but that is in the wrong direction for West Shore residents.

(Clearfield County)

Quote Originally Posted by nicholasivanclark View Post
    Newish to the area and looking for the best ranges in the area. Would like to take everything in to consideration facilities, cost, etc. Supply store close by always a bonus. Thanks everyone
    Harrisburg Hunters and Anglers has a very nice range complex. They are very active, have one of the largest pistol ranges in the area (I believe 40-50 firing points), turning targets and it goes to 50 yards.

The very best is in Palmyra. It has just about every type of range going including 3 indoor ranges in the same building; 20 yard archery, 50 foot small bore rifle, and 25 yard indoor pistol. Outside are rifle, archery, pistol, shotgun, steel, etc, etc. It is worth the trip just to see it. They are so good they host big matches that get teams as far away as University of Alaska coming there to compete. The indoor rifle range has a glass wall so you can sit at the snack bar and watch your kids with the coaches thru the glass. Like I said, I have never seen anything nicer.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by nicholasivanclark View Post
    I like the sound of the Dillsburg one I don't like a place that is crowded. I had gone to that free range down around Dillsburg area long time ago I was shoulder to shoulder with people. I don't need anything over a 150 yards at this point and mostly will be pistol shooting but some with my AR.
    If you want I'll take you out to the club in Dillsburg sometime so you can check it out. PM me if you're interested. Anyone can join too. It's small and simple, but never crowded.

SGL ranges are accidents waiting to happen, or worse.
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here