Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lehigh County)

Default Color Case Hardening Restoration?

Since the color case hardening finish is starting to wear off on my Beretta Stampede, I was wondering, is it possible to get that finish re-done (restored)? I've heard of Turnbull - seems to be a popular choice?

On the site it mentions that the pices listed only apply to pre-polished and dissambeled parts - so what exactly should one do? Disassemble my revolver and send it to them that way?

Just looking for some general info as I have no experience in this matter.

Thanks.

Default Re: Color Case Hardening Restoration?

Way,

I'm not sure about the Beretta, But back in my younger days of playing with Black Powder Kit guns I seem to recall old West Case Hardening was done with crushed Bone Meal - I can't remember the recipe though, I also remember reading it could be done simply by heating the polished parts and quenching them in Motor Oil.

It seems to me if the one site Requires the parts be Disassembled and Polished, You might as well go to the Next step and do it yourself. I'm sure in this Modern age of Computers You should be able to find something on "The Google"

Or You could contact Beretta about re-doing the finish and who knows, maybe they would do it as a warranty thing.

TJB
    Recoil Happens

(Jefferson County)

Most guns these days are just "case colored". Not truly "case color hardened." It is a chemical process which just oxidizes the metal surface like bluing.

Where as case hardened requires the metal object to be heated in a kiln at 1000'F for an hour, then quenching it in water or oil. It is heated with other ingredients like charcoal, bone, and leather. It hardens the surface, embeds some carbon and oxidizes the metal which results in the coloring you see.

With a case colored gun you can have it refinished just like a blued gun. There is no touching it up, it must be completely stripped of the old chemical treatment and refinished.

With re-case hardening, the gun must be taken apart, the receiver must be fit with blocks to keep it from warping, then the temper must be removed by heating it until it glows, allow it to sit in the heat a few minutes, then allowed to slowly cool down. Then you re heat it until it glows again as described in the process in my second paragraph.
    Last edited by knight0334; January 27th, 2011 at 01:55 PM.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

Knight,

You hit the nail on the head, I was trying to remember what I had read back when I was 15 years old, that was a Long Time ago, But nice to see I could still remember a little bit, as I get older the Cobwebs get thicker.

I wasn't aware of the Case Colored, But it makes sense in our Modern world. Is it possible to Strip the Coloring away and them just Cold Blue it if He wanted too? That may be an option if it can be done.

TJB
    Recoil Happens

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by TJB63 View Post
    Knight,

You hit the nail on the head, I was trying to remember what I had read back when I was 15 years old, that was a Long Time ago, But nice to see I could still remember a little bit, as I get older the Cobwebs get thicker.

I wasn't aware of the Case Colored, But it makes sense in our Modern world. Is it possible to Strip the Coloring away and them just Cold Blue it if He wanted too? That may be an option if it can be done.

TJB
    It can be stripped of the case color, but I'm not sure exactly how that is completed.. Ruger was faced with the problem of case coloring fading or rusting just recently. You could send your case colored (New)Vaquero, Blackhawk, or Bisley back to have it re-colored or blued. Presently they do not do case coloring, except for a couple models.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    Most guns these days are just "case colored". Not truly "case color hardened." It is a chemical process which just oxidizes the metal surface like bluing.

Where as case hardened requires the metal object to be heated in a kiln at 1000'F for an hour, then quenching it in water or oil. It is heated with other ingredients like charcoal, bone, and leather. It hardens the surface, embeds some carbon and oxidizes the metal which results in the coloring you see.

With a case colored gun you can have it refinished just like a blued gun. There is no touching it up, it must be completely stripped of the old chemical treatment and refinished.

With re-case hardening, the gun must be taken apart, the receiver must be fit with blocks to keep it from warping, then the temper must be removed by heating it until it glows, allow it to sit in the heat a few minutes, then allowed to slowly cool down. Then you re heat it until it glows again as described in the process in my second paragraph.
    I've heard both - that my Beretta (Uberti) is truly case color hardened, and I've also heard that they just apply it chemically.

It has to be chemically, considering I can see bare metal in a couple small areas. If it were true color case hardened, then I don't believe any would have rubbed off, just faded, correct?

So, my question then is, if I already have a color case hardened finish, I myself, would have to strip that completey off before handing it over to Turnbull to be re-colored? Or is that something they can do there?

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by Wayfaerer320 View Post
    I've heard both - that my Beretta (Uberti) is truly case color hardened, and I've also heard that they just apply it chemically.

It has to be chemically, considering I can see bare metal in a couple small areas. If it were true color case hardened, then I don't believe any would have rubbed off, just faded, correct?
    Correct. Case hardened goes deeper than just the surface. It'd take at least a wirewheel or decades of handling with the acids and oils on human hands to "rub off" case hardening.

I'd bet $10 that it is just case colored. reason being is the steels they make guns from these days do not need true case-hardening. Back in the day guns were made of lessor grade low-carbon irons and steels. The case hardening was necessary to strengthen the gun more than aesthetics. Case hardening is an expensive and time consuming thing to do, so why would they perform it on steels that dont require it?

(Lehigh County)

Correct. Case hardened goes deeper than just the surface. It'd take at least a wirewheel or decades of handling with the acids and oils on human hands to "rub off" case hardening.

I'd bet $10 that it is just case colored. reason being is the steels they make guns from these days do not need true case-hardening. Back in the day guns were made of lessor grade low-carbon irons and steels. The case hardening was necessary to strengthen the gun more than aesthetics. Case hardening is an expensive and time consuming thing to do, so why would they perform it on steels that dont require it?
    Makes sense to me. Thanks for clearing that up.

It's not something I'm planning on doing soon, as I just bought it (used) and it's still in great condition overall.

I guess the bigger question is, do I hold on to the Uberti as long as possible and eventually get it restored, or do I just save my money and buy an expensive SAA with true color case hardening?

(Jefferson County)

Someone wanna pay me $10? Quoting myself for the truth...

from Beretta's own site for the Stampede Deluxe:

The Stampede Deluxe features a frame finished in Beretta Color- Case, which duplicates the classic look of color-casehardening to capture the romance of the Old West.
    "Which duplicates the classic look of color-casehardening" - that is just case-colored.. They separate the difference with their own words.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by Wayfaerer320 View Post
    I guess the bigger question is, do I hold on to the Uberti as long as possible and eventually get it restored, or do I just save my money and buy an expensive SAA with true color case hardening?
    If you send it to Turnbull for refinishing you will spend more than you paid for the revolver. That's not to say it wouldn't come back looking great but it will still be a Beretta Stampede.

I think the Stampede is a good revolver to learn what you like and dislike about SAA style revolvers. When the time comes for a new revolver you will have the information needed to make an informed decision. And it never hurts to have a beater either.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast