Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

View Poll Results: Best 45 ACP Bullet Weight ?

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • 185 gr

2 5.71%
  • 200 gr

6 17.14%
  • 230 gr

27 77.14%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default 45 ACP Bullet Weights and Types ???

Who prefers what ?
    Some like small and fast, others slower bu heavy.

185 gr vs 230 gr. ?
    Which do you think is better ?

Hollow Point or Hardball ?
    You Can Take My Gun When You Pry it From My Dead, Cold, Hand !

(Beaver County)

Default Re: 45 ACP Bullet Weights and Types ???

Best ...for what purpose? I load mine to ~900 fps, whether RN lead range ammo or HP carry ammo.
    Kevin Singleton, Potawatomi - {ZRT - Sector 4}

(Jefferson County)

I shoot 230gr exclusively in my 1911. I haven't tried lessor weights because I know my gun reliably feeds both HP and FMJ of that weight and ogive profile.

When I do carry my 1911, it's loaded with HP's. On the range I only shoot FMJ's because they are cheaper.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Montgomery County)

bigger bullets makes bigger holes which is always better.

Bigger holes? Really? Hmm, maybe I'm wrong but all .45ACP are around the same diameter or they wouldn't be a .45ACP. With that said, the difference in weight of 30 grains or so 200-230, is neglible as far as a working round. You gain velocity with a lighter bullet which then equals energy upon impact which pretty much equals that of a heavier slower bullet. Is my thinking wrong here, technically? Looking for technical info here.

A 185 grn =+p+ is a smoking round, hard to beat that velocity and with the foot pounds of energy upon impact vs a 230 grn +P round.

round nose vs hollow point vs semi wad cutter? Hmmm, I'm pretty sure a 200 grain semi wad cutter at +P+ velocity's would do much better at creating wound channel damage and shock than a standard 230 gr hollow point. Just my opinion. Looking for technical information as to why what I think might not be as grounded as I think

CL

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by customloaded View Post
    Bigger holes? Really? Hmm, maybe I'm wrong but all .45ACP are around the same diameter or they wouldn't be a .45ACP. With that said, the difference in weight of 30 grains or so 200-230, is neglible as far as a working round. You gain velocity with a lighter bullet which then equals energy upon impact which pretty much equals that of a heavier slower bullet. Is my thinking wrong here, technically? Looking for technical info here.

A 185 grn =+p+ is a smoking round, hard to beat that velocity and with the foot pounds of energy upon impact vs a 230 grn +P round.

round nose vs hollow point vs semi wad cutter? Hmmm, I'm pretty sure a 200 grain semi wad cutter at +P+ velocity's would do much better at creating wound channel damage and shock than a standard 230 gr hollow point. Just my opinion. Looking for technical information as to why what I think might not be as grounded as I think

CL
    Here's a pretty good table of factory ammo ballistics:

http://www.ballistics101.com/45_acp.php
    Kevin Singleton, Potawatomi - {ZRT - Sector 4}

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by customloaded View Post

CL
    I agree with you somewhat. Yes 185 gr +P is a hot round and will get the job done but it's designed to expand fast which will in turn produce a larger wound cavity.
    A 230 gr in standard or +P will penetrate deeper and cause more compounding pressure shock than a 185 gr. In actual Police shootings the 230 gr 45 dropped an assailant with the first shot more than the 185 gr. This was due to penetration all the way to the spine of the assailant. Once the bullet hits the spine the body is incapacitated. Which is better ?
    Well, they are both good but in different ways but the 230 has the slight edge. This also goes the same for the newer 9mm loadings in 147 gr +P.
    According to new actual street studies the 147 +P subdues an assailant better than 115 +P+ and 124 +P. Federal HST in particular, also worked better against heavily clothed assailants as well in the 147 +P bullet weight.
    It seems Sanow had it wrong all this time, that's why stories of cops shooting people with 9mm needed 4 to 5 rounds just to drop someone a few years back. Now with the 147's it takes one to 2. Of course bullet design plays a factor too but all of the premium, modern ammo works similar.
    You Can Take My Gun When You Pry it From My Dead, Cold, Hand !

We train with & carry 230gr in our issued G21's, so that's what I use in my personal G21. Berry's for practice & XTP's for carry.
    "It's hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
    Thomas Sowell

Sorry, I can't vote on this one, too many different uses.

230HP in my carry gun, 230RN for the subguns, 185(or 155, 'cause I was given 500) lswc for shooting steel plates.

It depends what day, and what gun....
    NEVER TRUST A PRIVATE WITH A LOADED WEAPON OR AN OFFICER WITH A MAP

(Bucks County)

Big and heavy (230gr) is how I like my .45acp.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast