Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (York County)

Default Question about LTCF

I have a question about getting my permit back. I was a dumbie and got a DUI in 07 and was on probation, I'm done with all that. My question is can I get my permit back?

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: Question about LTCF

Quote Originally Posted by FogleDW View Post
    I have a question about getting my permit back. I was a dumbie and got a DUI in 07 and was on probation, I'm done with all that. My question is can I get my permit back?
    Before others jump on you for it, it's a license not a permit (although the law does call it a permit once ).

So you want to get it "back", I take it you were revoked, which means you should have a revocation letter that if you were smart you held onto. Depending on what that letter says, your next step forward to getting a LTCF again could be easy, or incredibly difficult.

18 Pa.C.S. § 6109

(i) Revocation.--A license to carry firearms may be revoked by the issuing authority for good cause. A license to carry firearms shall be revoked by the issuing authority for any reason stated in subsection (e)(1) which occurs during the term of the permit. Notice of revocation shall be in writing and shall state the specific reason for revocation. Notice shall be sent by certified mail to the individual whose license is revoked, and, at that time, notice shall also be provided to the Pennsylvania State Police by electronic means, including e-mail or facsimile transmission, that the license is no longer valid. An individual whose license is revoked shall surrender the license to the issuing authority within five days of receipt of the notice. An individual whose license is revoked may appeal to the court of common pleas for the judicial district in which the individual resides. An individual who violates this section commits a summary offense.
    I also have to wholly recommend seeking a lawyer's counsel, rather than the internet's, before doing anything. That being said I'll post whatever information I can that might help.

I'm not a lawyer, btw.

(York County)

Thank you. I was told to contact the State police to see how things stand to. I was talking to one of the guys at gander moutain and he said it might hold me up from buying anymore handgun is this also true? I do know that I have 2 M2's on my record is that going to stop me from buying any more firearms?

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by FogleDW View Post
    Thank you. I was told to contact the State police to see how things stand to. I was talking to one of the guys at gander moutain and he said it might hold me up from buying anymore handgun is this also true? I do know that I have 2 M2's on my record is that going to stop me from buying any more firearms?
    I'm going to message some other reliable posters on here to see if they can provide you with good information. They're far more knowledgeable on the procedural (and legal) options/problems you're faced with than I am.

(York County)

Thank you very much I just want to know how much of a fight I'm looking at.

When the State Police run the PICS check on you for purchasing, they access the state criminal records, the state mental health commitment records, the PFA records, and the FBI database. There are a lot of potential state and federal prohibitors.

You can't really do your own PICS check, but you can request a review of your own criminal history from the PA State Police website. Costs $10 or $20, and takes a few weeks.

BTW, PICS doesn't just tell you that you can't purchase a gun. It tells you that you can't POSSESS any guns. So if you get a PICS denial, that could mean that any guns you have at home are a real problem.

(Bradford County)

Quote Originally Posted by Deadpan View Post
    Not necessarily. The wording of 18 Pa.C.S. § 6105(c)(3) seems to suggest that 3 DUIs within 5 years is prohibiting for future purchases, but not for currently owned firearms. According to 75 Pa.C.S.A. § 3803 (a), three low level DUIs within ten years is only an M2, which would not be federally prohibiting. Normally I would acknowledge this to be nitpicking, but the OP did mention a DUI.
    Not 100% on this, but it was my understanding a 3rd DUI is now an automatic felony? but since a M2 is at max a 2 year possible jail time it should not prevent you?, Not sure how the return of your LTCF is going to go since i am sure they are considering you a "Habitual Drunkard" which i believe is a type of tactic a sheriff can use to take it away from you?

(Bradford County)

Quote Originally Posted by Deadpan View Post
    No, you can read the law on DUI grading here. In the OP's case, where he claims to have a DUI and other unspecified offenses, there are several grounds on which he could be denied, but it is dependent on his record and the sheriff, and possibly the appeals process as well.
    I seen the 2 M2's and "ASS"umed they were DUI related. not one DUI and something other.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Heart View Post
    I seen the 2 M2's and "ASS"umed they were DUI related. not one DUI and something other.
    Your right its 1 DUI lower teer I was .09 and 2 other dumb things.