Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: 25-06

(Dauphin County)

Default 25-06

Im lookin to get a 25-06 would like to spend under 350 im thinkin the H&R good choice for long range varmints

(Perry County)

Default Re: 25-06

Quote Originally Posted by longbeard69 View Post
    Im lookin to get a 25-06 would like to spend under 350 im thinkin the H&R good choice for long range varmints
    It is hard to beat the Stevens 200 for an inexpensive but very accurate rifle. I believe they are available in 25-06.

(Jefferson County)

Even though I'm a diehard fan of H&R/NEF, I wouldn't suggest one of the "Handi" type guns for "long range" unless you are a skilled firearms tinkerer. Most require some sort of tinkering and lots of playing with loads to get tack driving accuracy at long ranges.

Graybeardoutdoors.com is THE place for H&R gun info should you go that route(I'm a member there too). Right now their forum is down for maintenance, but they have a dedicated section to H&R/NEF with tips and FAQ's.

For under $350 you can get a bolt gun from Mossberg, Savage, or another company that will have a better chance of being more accurate out of the box.

The 25-06 is one of the few rimless cartridges I like. I like it especially for long range varmint on bigger bodied woodchuck to get that desired red mist effect.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Mercer County)

Do you think this will be a varmint only rig, or maybe dual use along the way for deer? Not knocking your caliber choice, but if for varmint only, have you considered something a bit smaller? When I weighed my caliber options for my first custom varmint rig, I wanted something other than ".22 caliber", and in the end went with .243 Winchester. Lots of bullet weights, great accuracy, can get in a short action, etc... Although I could use this rifle for deer, its nearly 14 lb weight, and straight 12x scope make it impractical.

Although not the best BC's, I have not have any varmints struck by 75 grain HP's @ 3450 fps, or 55 grain BT's at over 4000 fps complain, and both are very accurate at ridiculous distances. Just throwing out another view, and wish you the best in whatever rifle/caliber you get.

(Berks County)

I saw this thread an my heart skipped a beat. The 25-06 is my favorite caliber in rifles that I currently own. Check out the Marlin XL-7 in 25-06 can be had for $300, has a crazy great trigger and shoots the lights out.

It's my favorite hunting rifle right now, fantastic.

I've always considered that caliber also but thought that the 270 was more common and just as versitle and almost the same ballastics.

I've always thought why bother with something lighter the 30-06 unless its .308, 7mm mauser or .243. But the 25-06 is an interesting caliber too similar the more popular 270 to take off.

(Elk County)

Back in the day (late 60s, early 70s) the then-wildcat 25-06 was the darling of the high power silhouette crowd. If you didn't have a 25-06, and in a Remington 700 incarnation of some type, you simply didn't have sh_t. With the right bullet and right powder, the 25-06 cartridge offered three advantages over the .270 and the 30-06: Flatter trajectory, higher velocity, and sufficient terminal energy "juice" to knock down pesky steel rams that defied being knocked over. Today, the 25-06 still enjoys a place in the heart of some silhouette shooters, despite the use of high velocity "ultra-mega-super-short magnum" cartridges by many of the fad-chasing silhouette snipers.

To answer your question, I would recommend a Savage or Stevens bolt-action in 25-06. Not much to look at, but as a tool for MOA or even ORH groups at 600 yds, you'd need to spend 2.5X or 3X the dough for the same performance in another rifle.

Purchasing the Savage or Stevens allows you to spend about as much $$$ on a quality scope that you would need to shoot at distances out to 600+ yards. DO NOT scrimp on a cheap scope; sure, there are some low-cost scopes that perform, but there are many more that fail too soon after first use.

JMO,

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

(Erie County)

25.06 is a great round. Although not as readily available as 270,243,30.06. Savage Edge,now Savage Axis or the Stevens 200 are about as economical as you can find. If you have a choice get the medium barrel as the light barrel is somewhat more apt to string on multiple shots.

(Dauphin County)

Thanks guys i am new to the 25-06 two of my buddys have it in the 700. I really like it, it seems to be very accurate round. I am a hard core weatherby guy and yes it will be only long range varmint. I have a couple of h&rs no rifles but i love them just for fun. I have heard they can be very accurate with a diff trigger. I can get 1 for 220 and was going to go for it. I Have heard good things on the xl7 i have shot the 200 and didnt like it, but have heard the new savage is a little better. I wont really be shootin it alot so i thought id try an single shot over gettin another vangard 4 340 bucks

Whatever floats your boat/meets the budget.

I have a Tikka M695 in 25-06 and a Savage 10-FCP-L in 25-06 as well.
    Both can reach out beyond 600yds with ease. My load using nosler 100gr ballistic tips floats around 3430FPS.