View Poll Results: which gun next?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • SS 5.5" Ruger MK III

20 74.07%
  • 1911 (nice SA or similar)

7 25.93%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default next gun: Ruger MKIII vs. $6-700 1911?

So it's been about six months and the wife has weakened on the idea of another gun. Hard to argue i shouldn't get a tiny taste of fun out of a good bonus.

I currently have two 9s (M&P9c and B 92F), a detective special, a .380 pocket gun, and a few long guns.

The common sense in me wants a stainless Ruger MKIII with a fluted 5.5 barrel. I figure this increases the odds dramatically that i'll put a lot more lead down range (though it will be .22 LR lead). it's just so easy to shoot a couple hundred rounds of .22 any time you feel like it. it starts to add up with the 9mm.

The lust in me wants a 1911 in .45, though i have to admit i don't want to spend more than $6-700 on one right now (i'm thinking springfield, taurus, or hunt for an almost new para or kimber in that range). it will be a bedside gun, and part-time range gun (realistically dont see burning cash on .45 ammo every week).

i was settled on the ruger, but the 1911 itch is back. talk me off the ledge. don't just tell me to buy both unless you're gonna talk the wife into it.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: next gun: Ruger MKIII vs. $6-700 1911?

I've been dealing with the same decision, and add a garand to the mix.

I'm thinking i'll go for the .22 first b/c if I get the garand or 1911 all my money will go to ammo and I won't have the money for the 22 any time soon.

(Philadelphia County)

I wish I had read your post and not just the description, I should have voted for the Ruger. I have a Ruger MKII and a SA loaded champion, both great guns but I shoot 10x as many 22lr in a range session as I do centerfire. (Usually 9mm or 45acp in my case.)

Three reasons:
    1 $$$ Its significantly cheaper to shoot 22lr. Duh!
    2 The 22lr is a good training tool to practice breathing and trigger control.
    3 It is just fun to shoot. I love shooting 45, 9, 357 etc but 22lr is just plain fun to shoot and very fun to plink against friends with.

Good luck and don't let people convince you the Ruger is too difficult to clean. After a few cleaning sessions it's pretty quick, just read the directions the first time.

(Northampton County)

This is the 100th anniversary of the 1911, there are probably a lot of commemoratives in the making if you can hold out. Last year was the 75th anniversary of the Browning Hi-Power, a relative of the 1911.

(Allegheny County)

Since you don't have a .22lr pistol currently, I would recommend the Mark III. You could even save some cash and buy a used one or a Mark II.

I certainly would not be able to afford to go to the range as often as I do if I didn't have a .22lr. Tons of fun to shoot and it allows me to save more of my 9mm and .38 for next time. Since getting my Mark II in August, I can only think of one or two times that it hasn't went to the range with me.

(Montgomery County)

First, I must admit I am a 1911 kinda guy. Love em... In 45ACP...

That said, I shoot rimfire indoors every other week (pistols) and really enjoy that. However, if somebody said "hey, lets shoot our 45's this week" I'd be doing that. I have Rugers and others and the Rugers are fine shooting pistols. So, it's cheaper to shoot the 22's. Maybe more fun to shoot the 45's... Take your pick. Either way - you win.. enjoy Mike

(Westmoreland County)

I voted for the Ruger... First, you already have your pick of two good 9mm pistols to use as a bedside gun. Secondly, you will shoot the .22 much more often (for much less money) than you will the 1911. Lastly, remingtonman said it well that a .22 is "a good training tool to practice breathing and trigger control" with. Let us know what you get.

(Cumberland County)

MKII or MKIII. Decked out, top of the line model? Even better. You really can't go wrong with these guns. They shoot anything, and they shoot it better than any gun you'll ever buy for the same price. Sweet little tack drivers. There's also a HUGE aftermarket for them. You can take your plinker and turn it into a nasty bullseye gun with some extra cash if you like. Or you can slap a red dot or an optic on it and take your plinking in another direction.

Can't go wrong.
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

(Montgomery County)

used Ruger MKII... the MKIIIs suck.
    "Oderint Dum Metuant" - BMFH

"Tact is for people not witty enough to use sarcasm"

Note: any whingeing crazy that hits my PM inbox will be deleted without reply

(Monroe County)

Since you dont have a .22, everybody needs a .22, i say get a .22 , then save up for a nice 1911 down the road , maybe a Springfield loaded or Taurus PT, anything near Custom or semi custom is going to run you about $1500.

But yeah get the .22 first.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast