Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Franklin County)

Default Taurus 1911 Accessories?

Im looking to purchase a Taurus 1911 in the near future. I've done my homework, and some comparisons, and it just seems to be the right model for the young, married, blue collar worker that I am. Basically, it fits the budget. My only question that I have yet to be able to answear with any authority is accessories. Mainly grips. I like wood, smooth grips. and the pistol comes with plastic checkerd grips. Will any standard 1911 grip work with the Taurus? My old man has a springfield 1911 that for some reason, he can't seem to find new grips "off the shelf". Anyone out there in internet world who could help me out, it would be greatly appriciated!

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Taurus 1911 Accessories?

Most grips should work. I had a set of Wilson slim combat grips on mine. The only adjustment I had to make was to slightly enlarge the area under the right grip to clear the tang of the ambi safety.

Like these, but with the old Wilson logo medallion
    Last edited by toml; January 25th, 2011 at 11:39 PM. Reason: Added link

I have yet to see a pair of grips fit the PT without either needing to be filed or simply did not match the lines of the frame, but I have not tried every grip out there. Look at the accessory grips at Taurus if you have not already.

(Monroe County)

Yes grips are standard on the Taurus, just use a sharp utility knife to relieve the right grip to accommodate the ambi safety which you can clearly see in the picture of mine.

The smooth wood grip on mine is a Hogue set made out of Brazilian Kingwood.

All Mags that i've tried in mine Works including Wilson's, The night sights are Novak's from the factory.

I believe only the Series 80' FP safety set up is a little different on a Taurus.

Mine came slick as a whisle from the factory and Punched out the Bullseye on the first go.
    Attached Images Attached Images

(Centre County)

Standard 1911 grips, made for guns with the ambi safety, will fit the Taurus. You can find a multitude of grips at Brownells, midwayUSA, Natchez, Mid-South and others. You can go to Brownells and request a catalog that is specifically for 1911's, anything and everything you might ever want.

If you get grips that aren't made for the ambi safety, you can modify them yourself pretty easily, just take the original right side grip off and cut the new right side grip to look the same.

Or, if you like to work with wood, make you own. Use the originals to get the correct shape and hole placement and make a grip that is one of a kind or personalized to fit your hand perfectly.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member