Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default What kind of optics for Sub2000?

I recently purchased a 9mm Sub2000, and want to add some optics to it. The factory front sight is ugly as all hell, and I have a hard time using it with ear protectors on. I plan on hacking off the sight, and switching to a cheap optics setup for plinking (up to 50 yards, no more). I do not intend to hunt or fight zombies with this thing, so I'm not looking to drop a ton of cash. I am planning on attaching whatever optics I get to a quick release riser (NCStar) so I don't defeat the folding ability of the carbine. I have very little experience with optics up to this point, so I'm not sure where to begin. I was thinking that a red dot or reflex sight would be fun, but I'm not sure which would be better for my setup. The only factor in buying a cheap scope is that the rifle has a suprising amount of recoil for being a 9mm carbine, so I want a scope that can take it. Any suggestions?

-Thanks

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: What kind of optics for Sub2000?

Quote Originally Posted by Last Resort View Post
    I recently purchased a 9mm Sub2000, and want to add some optics to it. The factory front sight is ugly as all hell, and I have a hard time using it with ear protectors on. I plan on hacking off the sight, and switching to a cheap optics setup for plinking (up to 50 yards, no more). I do not intend to hunt or fight zombies with this thing, so I'm not looking to drop a ton of cash. I am planning on attaching whatever optics I get to a quick release riser (NCStar) so I don't defeat the folding ability of the carbine. I have very little experience with optics up to this point, so I'm not sure where to begin. I was thinking that a red dot or reflex sight would be fun, but I'm not sure which would be better for my setup. The only factor in buying a cheap scope is that the rifle has a suprising amount of recoil for being a 9mm carbine, so I want a scope that can take it. Any suggestions?

-Thanks
    A few questions and observations for you.

1. Your carbine may have a problem. All of the sub 2k's that I've handled and fired, including my own had VERY little recoil. You may have a problem there with a weak buffer spring or something.

2. Where do you intend to mount the optic? Forearm, or reciever? (or other)

3. What do you intend to mount the quick release riser to?

Quick ETA - I just realized that you just picked up your sub2k, as for the recoil, it just may not be broken in yet.
    And also, check out KTOG.org. a great resource for all keltec weapons.
    Last edited by Justin; January 25th, 2011 at 05:27 PM.
    Sec. 21. The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned.

Sec. 25. To guard against transgressions of the high powers which we have delegated, we declare that everything in this article is excepted out of the general powers of government and shall forever remain inviolate.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin View Post
    A few questions and observations for you.

1. Your carbine may have a problem. All of the sub 2k's that I've handled and fired, including my own had VERY little recoil. You may have a problem there with a weak buffer spring or something.

2. Where do you intend to mount the optic? Forearm, or reciever? (or other)

3. What do you intend to mount the quick release riser to?

1.) You make an interesting observation, as I had heard from multiple people that the Sub 2000s normally do have some recoil. They even sell aftermarket buffer cylinders to reduce recoil (tacticoolproducts.com).

2/3) I purchased an aftermarket quadrail that replaces the foregrip. This is where I plan on mounting the riser and optics.

-Thanks

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Last Resort View Post
    1.) You make an interesting observation, as I had heard from multiple people that the Sub 2000s normally do have some recoil. They even sell aftermarket buffer cylinders to reduce recoil (tacticoolproducts.com).

2/3) I purchased an aftermarket quadrail that replaces the foregrip. This is where I plan on mounting the riser and optics.

-Thanks
    Gotcha. If you are mounting the optic up further on the rail, I personally would go with a reflex sight of some sort. I don't like using a red dot for a forward mount. Depending on your budget, you could look into the bushnell holosight, or go with something cheaper like one of the sightmark reflex sights.

I guess for the recoil, its more of a matter of it being the perception of the person holding it. I'm 6'4 and about 275 lbs, and it feels to me like way less recoil than any other rifle or carbine that I've shot, save for rimfires.
    Sec. 21. The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned.

Sec. 25. To guard against transgressions of the high powers which we have delegated, we declare that everything in this article is excepted out of the general powers of government and shall forever remain inviolate.

My SUB-2000 had the Blue-Force-Gear AR-15 style front sight installed when I bought it used. Unfortunately they don't make that any more.

I added the Kel-Tec folding scope mount and a Millett 1'' tube 3 MOA Red Dot sight to it. It is a plain red dot with no magnification or anything else. The Kel-Tec scope mount places it a tiny bit high. After sighting it all in so that the original sights and the red dot line up, the red dot is about at the 1/3rd low position. This is actually good, because while using the red dot, I look through the upper part of the optics and nothing is obscured by the rear sight aperture. If the optics fails (out of battery or otherwise), it won't be in the way of using the iron sights.

The photos were taken with the rear sight aperture removed. I have since reinstalled it.

Jan
    So long and thanks for all the fish.

(Allegheny County)

MH, how does the keltec mount do with holding a zero? Some of the few reviews I've seen on it are less than favorable.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin View Post
    MH, how does the keltec mount do with holding a zero? Some of the few reviews I've seen on it are less than favorable.
    I'd call it "fair". It isn't perfect, because naturally, the lower part of the mount has to be loose enough around the barrel so that the assembly can be folded. Like every screw not tightened, they loosen over time and with vibration and I didn't try using Loctite yet. As long as the upper screws, holding the tube of the red dot, are tightened, it all zeroes back in just fine by just tightening the lower screws. So I assume that Loctite blue would do the trick.

Jan
    So long and thanks for all the fish.