Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Montgomery County)

Question Can you polish a black matte finish?

My g/f has a Kahr PM9 that is all black. She wants to make a few changes to the appearance of the gun. She has seen a lot of kahr slides with the polished look. I was wondering is possible to get a black matte slide polished?

(York County)

Default Re: Can you polish a black matte finish?

Yes. I have seen them polished on other various websites. I would have to do some more searching to find a place that would do it for you if that's what you were interested in.

GB
    Certified Glock Armorer

(Montgomery County)

Yes i def want to have it done. I have been looking and even took it to a local gun smith to see if he knew anyone. He said he was not sure if you could even have it polished or not.

(York County)

Yea there is a guy over on defensivecarry.com (VrodRay) that will do it and he also did his own PM9 that is polished. There is also a website called customizedcreationz.com that is well known for doing it. There are many other places that will do it for you, just have to do some google searching.

GB
    Certified Glock Armorer

Rather then polish matte finish why not Nu Coat it with a near but they say better then stainless steel coating on it. It looks like SS but its suppose to be better.

If it is a parkerized, matte finish, remember that the finish is designed to hold oil, and on some guns, it is not very thick. You can recoat it with a Dura/Ceracote type finish that will be shiny, if you like shine. Another thing you can do is clear coat the slide with a good enamel or epoxy and if you don't like it, you can remove the paint without hurting the parkerizing.

(Monroe County)

REmind your girlfriend that she paid about $150 extra for the Matte Black finish on that Kahr, its called DLC, (Diamond like compound) it is not the standard finish on a Kahr, the standard finish on a Kahr is a matte stainless, the DLC is the most expensive Kahr finish, go to Kahr's website and see for yourself.
    DLC kahr's sell for about $150 more than standard Run of the mill matte stainless, If you remove the the DLC be prepared to deal with rust issues.

Yes Stainless can Rust.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by 300WM View Post
    If it is a parkerized, matte finish, remember that the finish is designed to hold oil, and on some guns, it is not very thick. You can recoat it with a Dura/Ceracote type finish that will be shiny, if you like shine. Another thing you can do is clear coat the slide with a good enamel or epoxy and if you don't like it, you can remove the paint without hurting the parkerizing.
    It's not park'ed, it's black over stainless.
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

(Montgomery County)

I did not know it cost more for that kind of finish. I am aware stainless rust because i work for a welding company and most people do not realize stainless rust b.c its "stainless" lol. Ill have to talk to her and convince her it is better to leave it on or else sell it back and buy one with a stainless brush finish.

Quote Originally Posted by mrnyman View Post
    REmind your girlfriend that she paid about $150 extra for the Matte Black finish on that Kahr, its called DLC, (Diamond like compound) it is not the standard finish on a Kahr, the standard finish on a Kahr is a matte stainless, the DLC is the most expensive Kahr finish, go to Kahr's website and see for yourself.
    DLC kahr's sell for about $150 more than standard Run of the mill matte stainless, If you remove the the DLC be prepared to deal with rust issues.

Yes Stainless can Rust.