Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fingerprints

(Philadelphia County)

Default Fingerprints

I don't know if anyone can help me, but here goes. Back in August 2010 I was arrested. The charges were "withdrawn" by the da. Philadelphia will not grant me a carry permit because of character and reputation because of the arrest. I did NOT get convicted of anything.

So to circumvent them I am applying for Viginia carry permit which only goes by convictions and does not require you to have a permit issued by your home state. Virginia permits are recognized by PA. The only thing I have left to is to be fingerprinted by a law enforcement agency. I went to a state police barracks today to get this done. I was told they do not fingerprint for out of state carry permits anymore.

Can anyone suggest a solution to this issue? Post or email me at rjm0222@rcn.com

Thanks Bob

(Butler County)

Default Re: Fingerprints

Did you attempt to appeal the denial? I would highly recommend you attempt to get as far as possible through the PA process prior to attempting to circumvent it.
    "I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

(Bucks County)

While I have nothing negative to say about VA...

May I recommend you get the Arizona Permit...no home state LTCF needed....and it's only $60 vs the $100 for VA.

Prints for AZ can be done by anyone.

If you still want to proceed with VA....Chester County sheriff has been known to do them without issue.

(Delaware County)

I went to my local Police Station and they did my fingerprints, but it cost $15.00.

(Philadelphia County)

I live in Philadelphia, they won't do it.

(Lancaster County)

Wasn't there some sort of recent issue with Phila. trying to get a law passed so they don't have to recognize out of state permits?
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3339&dateline=1300221  289

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by mrjam2jab View Post
    While I have nothing negative to say about VA...

May I recommend you get the Arizona Permit...no home state LTCF needed....and it's only $60 vs the $100 for VA.

Prints for AZ can be done by anyone.

If you still want to proceed with VA....Chester County sheriff has been known to do them without issue.
    The only problem with AZ permit it states the training course had to be taken within 5 years of the app. date. I took the NRA course in 1999. VA only requires that you have taken a course in the past, no time limit.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by bob2055 View Post
    The only problem with AZ permit it states the training course had to be taken within 5 years of the app. date. I took the NRA course in 1999. VA only requires that you have taken a course in the past, no time limit.
    Where are you seeing that?

The training options per the statute:

N. An applicant shall demonstrate competence with a firearm through any of the following:

1. Completion of any firearms training program that is approved by the department of public safety and that is conducted by instructors who are authorized by the department of public safety or who possess current national rifle association instructor certifications in pistol and personal protection and who submit to a background investigation, including a check for warrants and a criminal history records check.

2. Completion of any firearms safety or training course or class that is available to the general public, that is offered by a law enforcement agency, a junior college, a college or a private or public institution, academy, organization or firearms training school and that is approved by the department of public safety.

3. Completion of any hunter education or hunter safety course approved by the Arizona game and fish department or a similar agency of another state.

4. Completion of any national rifle association firearms safety or training course.

5. Completion of any law enforcement firearms safety or training course or class that is offered for security guards, investigators, special deputies or other divisions or subdivisions of law enforcement or security enforcement and that is approved by the department of public safety.

6. Evidence of current military service or proof of honorable discharge or general discharge under honorable conditions from the United States armed forces.

7. A valid current or expired concealed weapon, firearm or handgun permit or license that is issued by another state or a political subdivision of another state and that has a training or testing requirement for initial issuance.

8. Completion of any governmental police agency firearms training course and qualification to carry a firearm in the course of normal police duties.

9. Completion of any other firearms training that the department of public safety deems acceptable.

Quote Originally Posted by mrjam2jab View Post
    Where are you seeing that?
    He's seeing that here, under # 6. :

(a) A certificate, card or document of completion from a firearms safety training program authorized pursuant to subsection N, paragraph 1 of this section, dated not more than five years earlier than the date of application, that has affixed to it the stamp, signature or seal of the instructor or organization that conducted the program, or a current or expired permit issued by the department of public safety pursuant to this section

(Philadelphia County)

Section E 6 (a) states:

(a) A certificate, card or document of completion from a firearms safety training program authorized pursuant to subsection N, paragraph 1 of this section, dated not more than five years earlier than the date of application, that has affixed to it the stamp, signature or seal of the instructor or organization that conducted the program, or a current or expired permit issued by the department of public safety pursuant to this section.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast