Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Looking for 9mm decision feedback

I just recently broke my own rule and bought a used FNP9...long, long story but to sum it up; Jam-O-Matic with lead ammunition. The good news, the shop is taking it back for full credit towards another gun.

My intent when buying the FN was to save a few bucks shooting falling steel targets which I currently do with a .45 ACP. I also want a higher magazine capacity so the 15 and 16 round 9's are attractive in that area. Other than the high capacity magazine, my criteria is a nice smooth trigger that doesn't take two hands to pull. When I ended up with the FN I looked at some in the Taurus/Ruger Pistol case (other equivalent guns) and some were like dragging a cement block across an assphault road; the FN does have a nice trigger. I'm trying to watch my bucks too, my first purchase had a 500.00 ceiling but we're into another month and a couple hundred more can happen if the extra is worth it.

My investigation had put the Smith & Wesson M&P and the CZ 75 SP01 on the list. I haven't handled an M&P yet but last week dry fired a CZ and like the new owner of the one I tried loved the feel and trigger pull.

Any other recommendations to look at or information pro or con on the ones on the list currently?

Thanks.

(Berks County)

Default Re: Looking for 9mm decision feedback

Did you try other ammo with the FN? I understand the lead ammo for the falling steel. You could have the same problem with lead ammo on all the other guns you listed.

Side note... I shoot an FNP .40 and FNX 9mm with no problems.

(Lancaster County)

I was going to say, the lead ammo is probably your problem. Even my glock jams while using that crap.
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3339&dateline=1300221  289

(Monroe County)

go back to the shop and get your FN Pistol back nothing is wrong with it, it is a top quality defensive Pistol it were not designed to shoot crap'.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by mrnyman View Post
    go back to the shop and get your FN Pistol back nothing is wrong with it, it is a top quality defensive Pistol it were not designed to shoot crap'.
    Agreed, you made a mistake by thinking it was the pistol. From what I hear, FN is good stuff. You need to go get some FMJ and shoot it once, I will bet it suprised the crap out of you how well it "will" shoot with decent ammo.

(Mercer County)

Quote Originally Posted by LeadHead View Post
    I just recently broke my own rule and bought a used FNP9...long, long story but to sum it up; Jam-O-Matic with lead ammunition. The good news, the shop is taking it back for full credit towards another gun.
    What kind of malfunctions did you experience, who made the ammo/what's its specs please? As for lead bullets in 9mm, it's 99.999% of all I fire in 9mm, 95% are cast by me, 100% handloaded by me. Properly made lead bullet ammo can and does perform as well or better than jacketed in 9mm with regard to accuracy and reliability in my, and many other peoples experience. This includes my bone stock Walther P1, that has not even a hint of a feed ramp on the barrel.

This 'full power' 9mm cast bullet ammo I made using a Lee 125 grain 2R roundnose, I'm willing to bet would work as well as any quality ammo in that pistol:

Once the type of malfunctions are known, then drilling down why will be easier.
    Last edited by Guns N'at; March 11th, 2011 at 02:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Guns N'at View Post
    What kind of malfunctions did you experience, who made the ammo/what's its specs please? As for lead bullets in 9mm, it's 99.999% of all I fire in 9mm, 95% are cast by me, 100% handloaded by me. Properly made lead bullet ammo can and does perform as well or better than jacketed in 9mm with regard to accuracy and reliability in my, and many other peoples experience. This includes my bone stock Walther P1, that has not even a hint of a feed ramp on the barrel.

This 'full power' 9mm cast bullet ammo I made using a Lee 125 grain 2R roundnose, I'm willing to bet would work as well as any quality ammo in that pistol:

[
    Once the type of malfunctions are known, then drilling down why will be easier.
    ^^^^ what he said ^^^^

I shoot lead all the time as well... never had a issue with it
    Honesta Mors Turpi Vita Potior ~ 3%

i was between the hk2000 and a berreta px-4 and i think im going with the berreta, no reason other then i liked the smoothed edges of the px-4 vs. the boxiness of the hk and also i am familiar and comfortable with the controls on the px-4. new just under $500 at insight in norristown before tax and pics check
    To err is human, to be prepared divine

(York County)

Its most likely your specific FNP9 that is the problem. I have one, and know two other people that have them, and everyone, including myself, is very very happy. I've thrown every kind of ammo at my FNP9 that i can, and it eats em up and spits em out like candy. I too bought the FNP9 on a whim, mainly because i liked the way it felt in my hands. I guess i got lucky though because i havent had any problems with mine, except a slight problem with the magazine release that took a min or two to fix.

Regardless, if your going after something different than the FN, i'd go with a Sig Sauer P229. Great triggers, very comfortable in the hand for most people, and can be had used for around the $500 range or a bit more for new ones. The S&W M&P's are another great option too.

I say either Sig P229 or S&W M&P. Cant go wrong.
    Last edited by WhiteShadow; January 24th, 2011 at 07:19 PM.
    "A peaceful mind generates power"

(Lancaster County)

*cough* Glock *Cough*...

Don't forget the less than $20 trigger mod you can do to make them feel better.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast