Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (York County)

Default Hunting Fees in PA?

This is a question from absolute newbie who would like to begin hunting next year.

When it comes to hunting Deer and Turkey in PA, what are all the various fees that are associated with it? Any fees other than the license fee? Also, do you pay per animal shot/taken successfully?

I'm sorry if my questions seem silly but I couldn't find direct answers online.

Anyone that would be willing to help me out, please do so.

Thanks in advance.

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Hunting Fees in PA?

Your only extra fees would be if you wanted antlerless tags. Those fees are listed on the PGC's website.

(Jefferson County)

You only have the basic license fee. Nonresidents pay a higher fee for the license. After that you have the optional fees for migratory bird, archery, muzzleloader, bear, elk, and antlerless. The elk is a lottery draw. The antlerless is a first come, first serve sales at the county treasurer. On top of the migratory bird is another option for waterfowl - the duck stamp. Which you can get at most post offices and some outfitters.

You dont pay per animal - that is what the license covers.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by BrowningBoy View Post
    Your only extra fees would be if you wanted antlerless tags. Those fees are listed on the PGC's website.
    One hunting license gives me the right to a single antlered deer per year. correct?

So, according to what you said above, it is possible to get an "Antlerless" tags as well. How many antlerless deer can one shoot if they have an antlerless tag?

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by stud40111 View Post
    One hunting license gives me the right to a single antlered deer per year. correct?

So, according to what you said above, it is possible to get an "Antlerless" tags as well. How many antlerless deer can one shoot if they have an antlerless tag?
    Correct. You can only take one antlered deer, which has to have a certain number of points depending on WMU. You can only take one antlerless deer per tag.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by stud40111 View Post
    This is a question from absolute newbie who would like to begin hunting next year.

When it comes to hunting Deer and Turkey in PA, what are all the various fees that are associated with it? Any fees other than the license fee? Also, do you pay per animal shot/taken successfully?

I'm sorry if my questions seem silly but I couldn't find direct answers online.

Anyone that would be willing to help me out, please do so.

Thanks in advance.
    If you've never had a PA hunting license before, you need to take a mandatory hunter safety class before buying one.

Here is a link to the 2010-2011 hunter trapper digest. It will give you a general idea of PA game laws. It is only a summary, and things could change for next hunting season but it will give you a general idea of some of the hunting licenses/seasons/regulations. http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal...=608412&mode=2

Take a look around the entire PA Game Commission web site. It will answer a lot of your questions. If you are still confused, or just have other questions, just ask. We'll help you where we can.

Stay safe.

(Bucks County)

The basic license runs July 1 thru June 30 and comes with one fall turkey tag 0ne antlered/flintlock tag and one spring turkey tag. When you buy it you get the option to add Archery, Muzzleloader & bear for additional cost. The basic license also covers small game, except water fowl. Elk is by drawing w/ an app cost and additional cost to the successful winners.

You can also send in for a Anterles license at additional cost, then for an 'unsold' anterless licenses two more times. Anterles are by WMU & fitst come first serve where the antler tag is statewide. After the three rounds of anterless sales they have over the counter sales for the SE & SW WMUs around Phila & Pitt 'cause those WMUs get the largest number of licenses when they set up the allotments.

There is also DMAP permits area specific anterless permits you get from land owners and the DCNR for sections of the state forest. Get onthe PGC's web site and read the rule book, it explains all of this.

You can also purchase an additional spring gobbler tag for extra cost.

A antler tag not used during Archery and rifle is able to be used for either sex after Christmas w/ a flintlock...but only antlered in late archery.

Modern muzzleloader is allowed a week in October w/ an anterless tag.

Confused yet?