Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Monroe County)

Default Need help deciding on the Glock 17 or S&W M&P 9

My next pistol purchase which will take over as my new primary carry is either going to be the Glock 17 RTF2 or the S&W M&P 9 full size. I have a few thoughts I'd like to share but will see if they come up through discussion and then post about them if not.

This is a pretty interesting video, and it seems as though the guy is looking at the pistol as objectively as possible. Any thoughts, or additions to what this guy is saying?

thanks in advance!
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    let them eventually bring the FBI to kill my wife and son over fucking chickens....

(Washington County)

Default Re: Need help deciding on the Glock 17 or S&W M&P 9

I think that both are great weapons. I have opwned multiple of both guns. I think that the S&W is A LOT more comfortable. I do not think that there are any real reliability issues with either. It is easier to completely strip the Glock, simply due to the use of roll pins in the Smith. Take which one feels better for you and buy that one. If you can, shoot them both and see which one suits you. Pointability of each is a bit different as well, so that will be a factor. I personally LIKE the Smith better, especially in the .45ACP model, but I think if I were to buy, I may do the Glock again.

(Monroe County)

The M&P has more style, the Glock has simplicity and history. One thing I want to mention, and I don't know if it's still an issue now, but early on the M&P has rust issues with daily carry and sweat, while the Glocks finish is just ridiculously resilient. Something to consider.

(Allegheny County)

I like the M&P. In some areas, better than the Glock. However, comparing the two pistols, especially on an armorer level, I stuck with the Glock 17/19. The Glock excels in ease of repairs, detailed dis-assembly, and general maintenance. And the Glock 17, in particular, has been thoroughly rung out and time tested, just reference Chuck Taylor's 150,000rnd + G17.

Glock for me (two of them, that is). They are tough. They rarely break. They do not rust. Accuracy is on par with everyone else. Since I'm not going to field strip one in a gun fight, I leave that equation out.

(Allegheny County)

Ive shot both plenty, and Ive owned a G19 and a MP45. I also know lots of good shooters who train regularly and practice who own both.

I just feel opinions should be qualified a bit.

Statements like "the M&P has style.." out in a vacuum are frankley less than useful if someone is trying to make a real edjucated choice about a firearm they intend to carry in case of emergency.

The MP is a softer shooting pistol. Low bore axis, grip angle, and the fact that the gun unlocks early all contribute to this. The problem is some individual samples unlock too soon and can cause accuracy problems at longer ranges and in extreme cases very high hits out at 25. Thats not a common problem, but be aware of the possibility.
    The MP also has a spotty relaibility record. Smith has changed componenets, tolerances, and outsources manufacturers so many times I cant even fathom being able to figure out which one where made with what parts and when. Supposedly the newest ones have a lot of the major issues solved and Smith has been on top of a lot of the issues (that they cause) and fixing them.
    Dont take that to mean they arent relaible guns. Just some samples have had problems.
    And the stock triggers are nothing to write home about. Most are gritty and stiff. The aftermarket parts are AWESOME (apex) but thats another $$$ you gotta drop in.

The G17 OTOH is as dead nuts reliable as you can expect from a semi auto handgun. Just dont get a 4th gen, they have mucho mucho issues.

GLOCK parts, accesories, holsters, ect ect ect are everywhere.

The option to change backstraps on the MP is very compelling if you happen to have a hard time with the GLOCK grip.

Both have great sight options available.

If you want a manual safety the Smith has a 1911'ish option.

IMO they are both good choices.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn.L View Post
    The option to change backstraps on the MP is very compelling if you happen to have a hard time with the GLOCK grip.
    that's the only reason I haven't bought a glock yet. can't comfortably shoot with the glock grip.
    Peace, Prosperity, and Liberty

(Allegheny County)

The Glock has a better trigger out of the box. The stock M&P trigger is very gritty, and has an indistinct reset. The Apex DCAEK along with the Apex RAM makes for a fantastic trigger, but it is another $100+ (assuming self-install) to put into the gun.

The M&P is generally reliable, but it is a relatively new design and it's gone through it's share of tweaks and revisions. On the other hand Glock really seems to have slipped with their issues with the Gen4 in 9mm, which is unfortunate. I really do believe that the M&P is on track to become a true competitor to Glock, and is a design that is still going to be prominent a decade from now.

Really the main thing between the M&P and the Glock is going to be how it feels and your preference regarding grip angle. That said, I think people make this out to be a bigger deal than it really is. Yes, if you're used to other guns, when you pick up a Glock it's natural point of aim is going to be off. But it's not something that you can't overcome and readjust to in a couple of range sessions. I know plenty of people who have gone from M&Ps and XDs and 1911s and adjusted to the Glock grip angle in short order. It's not that big of a deal.

I'm actually against the common handgun selection wisdom of "shoot everything and decide what feels best to you", because I think most people new to shooting just don't have the necessary knowledge to know what makes one pistol better than another. I don't claim to be an expert by any means, but I didn't realize what mattered until I got into training and then realized my initial handgun choices just weren't the most optimal. I ended up selling those guns which I had initially selected on the basis of "feel". With that being said when it comes to the M&P and the Glock, I think the two platforms are comparable enough that deciding between one or the other based on "feel" is a reasonable enough course of action.

In interest of full disclosure, I own both a full-size and a compact M&P in 9mm. Both have the full line of Apex trigger upgrades installed.
    Last edited by eXceLon; January 23rd, 2011 at 09:43 PM.
    "There are four boxes to use in the defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo. Use in that order."

(Delaware County)

The Glock is superior, but if I couldn't carry my Glock I'd carry the M&P.

(Washington County)

I'd say go M&P. I believe you'd simply like it more

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast