Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Is $175 a good price for a savage 775a?

I've been looking for a semi shot gun that I van actually afford on a college budget and ran into this savage. It's a alloy reciever, slightly worn finish, copy of the browning a5, with wood stocks in good shape.

After som haggling I was able to get the price down to $175 but from what I gather is still high for a 12 gauge semi that is 60 years old. It does however come with a 30 day warranty so I could shoot 1,000 shells through it before the 30 day grace is up.

What do you guys think?

(Berks County)

Default Re: Is $175 a good price for a savage 775a?

Anybody have a clue on this?

Quote Originally Posted by Zet70 View Post
    Anybody have a clue on this?
    To be honest, I don't know much about them. But after searching around a little... if it's absolutely mint it's an alright price, but if it's in average shape there seems to be others around for about the same price.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=212380843

If you're seriously on the fence, why not try it out? If you don't like it, return it.
    Last edited by DVE; January 24th, 2011 at 01:06 AM.

(Berks County)

I'm trying to find a cheap semi and this seemed to be what I was looking for. The price is just too high and the shop is unwilling to budge on the price. I'll stop by the shop next weekend and make another offer if it's still there.

The gb 775 is a 16g, the only 12g is going for $350 but is in pristine condition. What a dilema.

The gb 775 is a 16g, the only 12g is going for $350 but is in pristine condition. What a dilema.
    Wow that completely slipped past me, I thought it was a 12g. But I'd say look it over, and if you're serious about it - try out the 30 day period.

If you don't mind me asking, why are you looking for a semi? I'm sure you know that you could get a great pump for the same price, or you could always save up a little and get a Saiga? Just a few thoughts.

(Chester County)

Can't tell you the market value but I have a 775A 12 ga. I bought 50 years ago and would buy another in a heartbeat
    IANAL

(Berks County)

To be honest, I don't really know why I want one so bad. I have a cheap pump for HD but recently I have gotten into skeet shooting. Due to the lack of funds thanks to tuition being raised it just doesn't make sense to spend $500+ on a Browning or a saiga. I stumbled on the savage and realized that a cheap semi is possible.

Not too mention that supposedly the remington 870 mag extensions fit on the savage. 5+1 semi shot gun just sounds like fun : )

tl, is the savage a gas operated system or a true long recoil operation? I can't seem to fins a single good resource on the guns. Or anything that lists its parts compatibility with the a5 which it is cloned after.

(Chester County)

To be honest, I don't really know why I want one so bad. I have a cheap pump for HD but recently I have gotten into skeet shooting. Due to the lack of funds thanks to tuition being raised it just doesn't make sense to spend $500+ on a Browning or a saiga. I stumbled on the savage and realized that a cheap semi is possible.

Not too mention that supposedly the remington 870 mag extensions fit on the savage. 5+1 semi shot gun just sounds like fun : )

tl, is the savage a gas operated system or a true long recoil operation? I can't seem to fins a single good resource on the guns. Or anything that lists its parts compatibility with the a5 which it is cloned after.
    Its a true recoil operation. The barrel and breech block travel rearward for a small distance before the seal is opened. Also there is a simple adjustment you do under the forearm by reversing a beveled washer to set for either heavy or light loads. AS I said I've put many a thousand rounds through mine and is still going strong.

Let me know if you buy and I'll see if I can find a copy of the op manual for you.
    IANAL

(Berks County)

Thank you sir!

Happen to know if the 870 or any other extension fits the 775a? How about shorter barrels? Would a 18.5" affect operation?

(Chester County)

Sorry - can't speak for changing parts Bought mine in early 60's and never had the occassion to replace any of the major parts. Maybe someone else can address.
    IANAL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast