Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Default PX4 Storm Mag drop problem

Hello Everyone,
    I have a Beretta Px4 Storm in 9mm. I bought it new a few years back and have put many a round through it. It has been over a year since I've last shot. Every now and again I would take the gun out, clean it, load and unload the mags just to keep it working well. Lately I have been an issue, when I go to drop the mag out it only drops a few milimeters and won't drop free, loaded or unloaded.
    Any ideas what could have caused this?

(York County)

Default Re: PX4 Storm Mag drop problem

How difficult is it to pull the mags out? Obviously if loaded mags won't drop something is catching/dragging on the mags. I don't have a PX4, so I'm not sure how the mag release is designed, could it not be fully releasing the mag, or be sticking out in the mag well too much and dragging on the mag after it releases?. Shine a flashlight in the mag well and see if anything is sticking out that could be catching on the mag. Have you tried different mags?

(Allegheny County)

Thanks for getting back to me.
    I did shine a light down in the well, nothing seemed to be obstructing it, the mags themselves have no damage either. So nothing wrong mechanically. I like to unload and reload the mags over and over to keep the springs working well, when I first got it, I could not get 17 in at all! Now there is no problem. After doing that a few times, I'll slide the mags in and they will release no problem, loaded or unloaded, it is strange but i think it may have something to do with them getting warm and the lube on it getting warm to make it slide easier.
    Pretty wild huh?
    So after carrying or after being at the range for a while, I should have no problem ejecting the mags.

(Allegheny County)

Strange thing about the PX4. I've handled and shot several of these and owned a couple too. Mine had no issues dropping mags free, either loaded, unloaded, or partially loaded. I handled a .40 model that did suffer from it. I've not examined the issue in depth but some exhibit the problem, while others do not. Minor tolerance changes from temperature could very well be the issue, combined with minor manufacturing variances from year to year.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Jones View Post
    Thanks for getting back to me.
    I did shine a light down in the well, nothing seemed to be obstructing it, the mags themselves have no damage either. So nothing wrong mechanically. I like to unload and reload the mags over and over to keep the springs working well, when I first got it, I could not get 17 in at all! Now there is no problem. After doing that a few times, I'll slide the mags in and they will release no problem, loaded or unloaded, it is strange but i think it may have something to do with them getting warm and the lube on it getting warm to make it slide easier.
    Pretty wild huh?
    So after carrying or after being at the range for a while, I should have no problem ejecting the mags.
    Actually, unloading and reloading the mags will wear the springs out a lot faster than than just leaving them loaded, especially if you do it all the time. So you're saying that after the gun sits loaded for a while the mag won't drop, but if you unload and load the mag then it drops free? Could there be oil getting in the mag well and somehow making the mag stick? Are you putting lube on the mags themselves?