Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Default New Ruger -22/45 Threaded Barrel?

So what would be the purpose of a threaded barrel on this 22? To use a suppressor or silensor (not sure of that spelling) for sound reduction? Just curious.

Default Re: New Ruger -22/45 Threaded Barrel?

In a word, yes. Is this something you saw from Ruger? Or is it something someone else has done and you are thinking of buying it from them? Or, is it something you are thinking of doing yourself? I had a Mk II threaded, and it is a joy to shoot at home. All is done safely, legally, and quietly. And, I don't have to hop in the truck to drive anywhere to do it.

(Allegheny County)

Nice Ruger! I have the Hunter similar - chose that one over the one you have as my hubby is a southpaw and i felt the hunter was a little lighter in weight for me!

I received an email directly from Ruger - this is a new gun for them in 22/45 - 2 different models one with no sights i think and the other with one fixed sight and picatinny rails but i really don't get all the lingo - re rails etc. as they are on top and bottom it looks like. Sorry still a newbie. I would like a suppressor but dont you need an ok from the sheriff or someone? I would need my barrel threaded also....

Quote Originally Posted by Just1more View Post
    Nice Ruger! I have the Hunter similar - chose that one over the one you have as my hubby is a southpaw and i felt the hunter was a little lighter in weight for me!

I received an email directly from Ruger - this is a new gun for them in 22/45 - 2 different models one with no sights i think and the other with one fixed sight and picatinny rails but i really don't get all the lingo - re rails etc. as they are on top and bottom it looks like. Sorry still a newbie. I would like a suppressor but dont you need an ok from the sheriff or someone? I would need my barrel threaded also....
    I went and looked at the Ruger site. This is what I found...

This is the one with the Picatinny rails over and under. They are there so you can put your own sights on. Lots of people like a red dot sight like the one on mine in the picture I posted above. Finding sights that fit on a Picatinny rail are a whole lot easier (and sometimes cheaper) than getting Ruger cut rails and rings. The Picatinny rail is about as universal a mount as you can get. The one on the bottom is probably for a light or a laser, and for this gun is useless and ugly as far as I am concerned.

What is nice about this gun is that the barrel comes threaded. You don't need to find someone who can do that for you like I did. It can be quite the nightmare. As for a suppressor, yes, you need to get a paper signed off by your chief LEO, usually a sheriff. There are lots of threads here about how to do that. It ain't cheap, but it is well worth it if you have a place to shoot, but don't want to make the noise. It is also nice in that you don't really need hearing protection when using a suppressor.

I am glad you posted about this. I see another gun to lust after. Oh yeah, about the weight thing. My wife thought one of my Mk IIs was too heavy, until she had it out at the range last weekend. She punched a bunch of holes real close to one another, and decided that weight wasn't so bad after all. I know what you mean about the grips too. The ones I have are great for a rightie, but almost impossible for a left handed shooter to use.

(Allegheny County)

I do like my Hunter but have been looking at the slab barrel .......you know as an extra ! or so I dont have to share! I also enjoy the Ultimate Cliploader for it - can go thru so much ammo. (i do get ftf though)

Now if it only came in Stainless !! I "love" stainless guns Have 2 S&W stainless 357s also. Oh and a stainless S&W 5" 22lr.
    Too bad the next 20 years will go to paying to fix my teeth if possible - maybe just pull them and end all of it.....No more guns .....booo Imagine after the shock of the work needed - my thoughts went to the loss of shopping for a 9mm.. i can still look though..... maybe used someday. I already have a few on my list for my small hands.....

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by PennsyPlinker View Post
    And, I don't have to hop in the truck to drive anywhere to do it.
    Ha... Coming from the guy who used .22s to empty his pool...

(Greatest video on PAFOA, BTW.)
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

@PennsyPlinker,
    I use to own that same Mark II, without the scope and suppressor. Man what a beautiful firearm. I really miss that baby.
    --Wally Blue

(Allegheny County)

So today i get an email about Smith & Wesson 9mm on sale - call S&W and find out they lowered all their gun prices ....and notice they sell a 9mm M&P with a threaded barrel !!??
    Is this new or do most guns have an option to buy a threaded barrel for it - you can buy one at S&W if you have the regular barrel. Odd that i see this a day later for a 9mm which i am interested in.