Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Ruger MKIII or Browing Buckmark

I'm going to buy one of these firearms, have heard pro's and cons for both. Anybody that has fired both please chim in.

(Northampton County)

Default Re: Ruger MKIII or Browing Buckmark

I have the Buckmark and truly love it. What sold me was the ergonomic grip and overall feel. I handled both at the shop and decided on the Browning. Since then, I have over 2000 rounds through it and any issues have been ammo related. I've fired cheap Federal, and several others with absolutely no issues except the occasional FTF. Cleaning it is a bit more involved than other semi-autos I own, but is manageable. I take it down completely every 500 rounds and I get the feeling that might even be overkill. You need allen keys to remove the top plastic plate where the rear sight is fastened in order to remove the slide, but no issues so far. I've seen others complain, but I'm a perfectionist when it comes to my firearms and I don't mind spending the time to do it right. Parts for the buckmark are plentiful as well. In my hand, it is accurate as hell.

I've never fired the Mark II/III, but I wanted to share my experience with the Buckmark.

I have fired both, but am partial to Ruger. Accuracy is about the same but, aftermarket parts for the Ruger seem to be everywhere. Also, I've never had any ftf or fte problems with my Rugers, they run and run and run.

I have shot a few of them and they all seemed to work well. Both are accurate enough. I guess what I like about them is a couple of these pistols looked like they had been to hell and back and still functioned very well. They are both good guns. Coin toss.

(Philadelphia County)

I have the Ruger, and have shot and cleaned the Browning. The Ruger is harder to disassemble than the Browning.

If you want an aftermarket barrel, the Browning is the better choice since the barrel can be easily changed without worrying about the receiver and the serial number.

I don't know if you are dead set on one of the two you mention, but maybe take a peek at the S&W .22A. This is a very accurate pistol and functions well. It is rated high and can be had for less coin than the Ruger or Browning.

I've shot both and prefer the Buckmark. I do however have far more rounds through a Buckmark under my belt than the Ruger.

(Lancaster County)

I don't think you could lose with either pistol.

I own a Browning Buckmark "Camper Whisper" model, which has a threaded bull barrel for a suppressor I'll get around to buying eventually.

I've had no serious problems with it so far, aside from it being a little fussy with some of the 22LR ammo not feeding (it loves CCI Minimag, but is a little iffy on the Federal "Gold Medal - Target" stuff I bought a few years ago).

Like Rotorwash, I tear down the Buckmark completely when cleaning it, including the barrel (has to be removed to use a cleaning rod, unless you're a boresnake guy). This does require some allen wrench type tools (bit driver is probably better), but it's not a showstopper for me.

Parts are also readily available on the 'net. Personally, I've only bought a few extra magazines and a set of fiber optic sights.

I have no experience with the Ruger series of 22's, but the Ruger models do have a long standing quality and reliability reputation as well.

The only difference I've heard between them is that the Rugers are supposedly able to be "dry fired", which is generally a no-no with rimfire firearms. The Buckmark fits into that "don't do it" category. Damage to the firing pin and/or breach face area can occur.

There may be a few other minor differences. I'd recommend searching for a good review video on YouTube. Some of them are quite thorough and of decent quality.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by 300WM View Post
    I don't know if you are dead set on one of the two you mention, but maybe take a peek at the S&W .22A. This is a very accurate pistol and functions well. It is rated high and can be had for less coin than the Ruger or Browning.

Agreed. I use one for Bullseye Target League and I love it!!!
    Veritas Vos Liberat

(Franklin County)

Another vote for the Buckmark.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast