Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Default Range Report Part I: SLR-106FR Function Check and Zeroing

I took my newly purchased (Atlantic Firearms) Arsenal, Inc. SLR-106FR to the range today for function check and sight-in. The bolt and rails were lubed with Breakfree CLP before shooting.

Conditions:
    55 degrees F
    Moderate winds
    Low humidity, clear

Ammunition:
    Federal xm193 55 gr. lot 120

Muzzle brake and cleaning rod removed, bench rested. Rear sight set at "1", initial zeroing target at 25m. Initial rounds impacted 12" high and 4" left from POA. Adjusted to within 3" of POA at 25m then moved to standard rifle bullseye target placed at 100m. Additional windage adjustment necessary, front sight pushed all the way to the left leaving the drum on the right side flush with the sight base. With rifle finally on target, attached brake and shot a ten round string. Rifle remained on target; rifle now successfully zeroed at 100m.

Function:
    No issues. Smooth function. Groups printed within 4MOA under all conditions. "Two-stage" trigger was a bit odd. It is more accurate to say that the trigger mimics a two-stage. Initial take up was smooth enough but the second stage was very heavy. Break was crisp enough but reset was mushy. I suspect that I'll replace the trigger group with a G2 but that will be for a later date. Clear Bulgarian magazines were very tight in the magazine well, as previously reported.

Concerning Excessive Windage Adjustment on SLR-106 Series Rifles:

I have read several accounts which are similar in that excessive windage adjustment needs performed, usually because the rifle is shooting to the left. This was also the case with my rifle, and it left me bewildered because the rifle looks straight. I have experience with the platform and it's zeroing - I know the quirks and indiosynchracies of the system. After examination I grew very suspicious of the rear sight. As others have observed, it appears to be an AKM rear sight. There looks to be too much play in the rear sight; in my case there is considerable space on the right side between the sight and sight base.

I ask all SLR-106 series owners to please check out your rear sight arrangements and report in on your observations.

I will continue testing of this platform and report in. Next will be shooting for accuracy (I consider this separate from zeroing) and shooting offhand. Looks to me like speed reloading is going to be troublesome with the tight clear magazines.

Thekatar

(Westmoreland County)

Default Re: Range Report Part I: SLR-106FR Function Check and Zeroing

Jay,

Can you determine if the barrel is screwed in or press fit? AR15's sometimes exhibit extreme windage adjustments when barrels are improperly torqued.

If the SLR-106 has a screwed in barrel, maybe the problem is similar to the AR phenomenon.

(Westmoreland County)

Jay,

Do you know John McCaw?

I was having him order a 106 and in talking to him, he mentioned that if it does have a threaded barrel, the receiver may have been tapped off axis.

Again, if these are screwed in barrels, can you remove the upper and lower handguards and determine if the barrel appears to be off axis from centerline?

(Allegheny County)

Tony,

After examining the rifle in more detail with the handguards removed I believe that the barrel may be slightly cocked in the trunnion. The stamped receiver guns (to the best of my knowledge) all have pressed-in barrels. I am going to continue my evaluation with an optical sight mounted between the rear and front sight - this should provide additional information.

I have spoken to John before via email - I will probably have some work for him in a few months.

Hey folks, I"m a newbie. I just purchased a 106 fr and on first outing it grouped pretty well, little lower right of poa but a nice start. I like this rifle ALOT, and I will be paying close attention to any advice and or tips, I"ll try and provide input as I learn...

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by TonyF View Post
    Jay,

Can you determine if the barrel is screwed in or press fit? AR15's sometimes exhibit extreme windage adjustments when barrels are improperly torqued.

If the SLR-106 has a screwed in barrel, maybe the problem is similar to the AR phenomenon.
    tony, current AKs, both milled and stamped have pressed in barrels, which are then drilled and pinned above the chamber area to prevent any movement, and or any "spontaneousl disassembly"

you just have to make sure you get the barrel in straight before you pin it.
    "Oderint Dum Metuant" - BMFH

"Tact is for people not witty enough to use sarcasm"

Note: any whingeing crazy that hits my PM inbox will be deleted without reply

Quote Originally Posted by JayBell View Post
    tony, current AKs, both milled and stamped have pressed in barrels, which are then drilled and pinned above the chamber area to prevent any movement, and or any "spontaneousl disassembly"

Ok, how do I know if I will ever have to remove the barrell and line up any holes and pins, Sorry to sound clueless but this SLR is the first assault type weapon I have ever owned. I have alot of experience with auto pistols, revolvers and hunting semi auto rifles tho. I appreciate your input and time responding to my post....I do want to master this kalashnikov

(Westmoreland County)

Last year I decided to simplify my life and consolidate weapons and caliber's. Last rifle's sold were my Kalashnikov's in 7.62 x 39. However, I still wanted an AK variant to maintain my skills and familiarity with the platform. Enter Arsenal Inc. Last year Arsenal introduced the SLR106, a stamped receiver AK in 5.56 NATO. I bought one amidst much controversy with the early production rifles exhibiting extreme windage issues (left POI), magazines that did not feed reliably and which were difficult to seat in the magazine well as well as FTF issues (failure-to-feed).

Discussing the rifle with John McCaw (John is a Class 2 manufacturer and AK guru in White Oak, PA), he assured me that whatever issues the rifle may have, that "it's an AK and it can be fixed". So, I bought one through Gunbroker last year. I finally took it out for a range session the other day and was pleased to find that my rifle in the BDxxxxxx serial # range did not have a windage issue though it does need a bit of correction. However, owners of rifles with extreme windage problems had their front sights at maximum adjustment and still couldn't get a zero. The test target was fired from unsupported prone at 50 yards with the sights as they came from the factory. It also obviously needs elevation correction but I'm going to install an ultimak and Aimpoint M2 so this range session was more of a function test than anything else.

Apparently Arsenal revised the magazines by eliminating the stripper clip guide and extending the raised ribs to completely encircle the magazine body. While they were still a little tight I had no malfunctions in over 300 rounds fired. An acquaintance tells me the polymer mags will break in through use and the fit will improve. My magazines have the number 10 inside a double circle which is indicative of the aforementioned revision.

I couldn't be happier that my rifle seems good to go out of the box and that the eight magazines I purchased from K-VAR were the revised version. I've since learned that the windage issues of early rifles were due to equipment used to regulate installation of the front sight block and / or trunion being out of calibration. Rifles with serial numbers beginning with BD and BE were manufactured after the equipment issue was discovered and corrected.

Stamped AK's are significantly lighter than Milled receiver AK's.

The 106 has a Steyr chrome lined, 1:7 barrel and if this target is any indication, it's much more accurate than any garden variety 7.62 x 39 AK. My eyes aren't what they used to be and I'm looking forward to zeroing with the Aimpoint which I'm sure will tighten up the group. The 106 also has a unique folding butt stock which has a rock solid lock up in both the open and closed positions. This is a great rifle and fills my need for an AK platform in a common caliber perfectly.

Go here for pics and links.

http://mysite.verizon.net/vze7t3ct/slr106.html

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by JayBell View Post

Were any early Soviet models screwed in?

Maybe I'm confusing this with the SKS as I'm pretty sure some of them have screwed in barrels.