Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    (Pike County)

Default Re: for those with HD Shotguns.

Quote Originally Posted by ErSwnn View Post
    I hope to remember during the stress of such an event that if I am able to convince the guy to get down I ask him if he has a cellphone. If affirmative I'd then like the tell him to call 911 and report his crime
    Veeeeeery bad idea. You want to be the first one, who dials 911. Otherwise the perp might report you as "OMG, I walked into the wrong house by mistake and this guy is trying to shoot me!!!!! HELP!!!! HELP!!!!"
    Je suis déplorable

(Pike County)

Quote Originally Posted by jcabin View Post
    And if they have guns out and are ready to rock and roll all over your face, then you just gave your position away.
    You aren't going to win this, buddy. Same kind of holy war, as OC vs. CC or AK vs. AR. To the defence of hzox221 I'm going to use the same line, that we constantly say to the anti-gunners and anti-OCers (as response to the different arguments, of course): criminals are not looking for firefight, they are looking for easy pickins. They they are much more likely to run, then open fire on the sound. Good for me, bad for the Joe The Neighbor, who might seem easier than me the next time.

Yes, there are chances of firefight, but it's educated judgment call.
    Je suis déplorable

(Allegheny County)

I keep mine loaded WITHOUT one in the chamber.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by hzox221 View Post
    Magazine full, chamber empty and safety on.

I want the sound of the slide chambering the first round to give the bad guys a chance to run out of the house. I would rather them run, than having to shoot them. It is a lot easier dealing with a break in than a shooting. That is why I have insurance. If they don't run, well then....
    And if they have guns out and are ready to rock and roll all over your face, then you just gave your position away. I'm of the opinion that a verbal command with the bead sighted on their chest/head, safety off, and finger beside the trigger is the better option. ymmv

I'm currently w/o a shotgun, but when I had mine, I kept the tube full, and the chamber empty, with the safety off so all I needed to do was load it and it was ready. (pump)

Since then, I have decided that when I do acquire another pump shotgun, it will be kept loaded (including the chamber), with the safety on.

While it works great on TV, I'm not so sure I want to scream "I'm OVER HERE!!!" by "racking the slide".

If I feel a "warning" is warranted, I can do so verbally, at a time, and place of my choosing.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Allegheny County)

We can really just rationalize about any choice we make out here in a vacuum.

I would think, and do belive personally, that if the stakes are as dire as our lives and the lives of those we love that investing the money in a decent shotgun course would help give us some more input into our decisions.

I dont keep a shotty for HD, but what I do keep is in "Condition 1". Loaded and on safe. I dont know why a shotty would be different, but IT MAY BE, and I just dont know. I dont know what I dont know duh.
    I know quite a few experianced people, people with formal training, great shooters, the whole gambit, who decide differently. Our decisions will normally be guided by our personal experiance level, comfort, and knowledge base.

I know that here in Pittsburgh FIRE is hosting Don Wilson for a 2 day shotgun course (and I think its cheap). Ive met and shot with Don a few times. I may take that course this year as expanding my skill set is on my agenda for 2011 that, and maybe if I can swing it an Awerbuck course down in WV later on.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo View Post
    Same with me, except the safety is off. I'm gonna give them a chance to run, and the sound of a pump being racked is unmistakable. If when racked, they don't turn and haul ass, then I know they have intentions other than just taking our TV, and I should be in fear for my life.

My guess is those who talk about "I'll just unload on them" have never had to actually pull the trigger at another human.
    What's the difference between carrying your handgun with one in the chamber and keeping your HD shotgun with one in the chamber? There's not enough time on the street to rack your gun, and hope the unmistakable sound of your handgun racking will scare the guy off who clearly intended to do you harm which was the impetus to you drawing your firearm in the first place. Why would the dynamic change once inside the home? Keeping the tube empty at home and racking the shotgun in hopes of determining the intentions of the people who JUST BROKE INTO YOUR FUCKING HOUSE IN THE MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT is just as foolish, IMO.

You do what you gotta do, I'll do what I gotta do. If keeping the chamber loaded on your defensive firearms is akin to looking to unload on someone, than keeping your defensive firearms unchambered is akin to being suicidal.
    Last edited by jcabin; January 21st, 2011 at 06:56 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    let them eventually bring the FBI to kill my wife and son over fucking chickens....

(Pike County)

What's the difference between carrying your handgun with one in the chamber....
    I don't.

And I'm definitely not going into discussion about it
    Je suis déplorable

If a person doesn't place a round in the chamber of a loaded pistol while in one's home, out and about it town, work, etc...fine, good for you, have at it.

If however, you keep one in the pipe of your sidearm while going about your daily business/while at home, what is the ideology behind not having a fully loaded, including one in the chamber, home defense shotgun/Rifle?

If you choose not to have a round in the chamber of a home defense long gun, I do hope individuals realize that in stressful situation you remember to:

A) Rack the Slide/close the breech etc...
    B) Take the Safety off
    C) First line of defense weapon is one round short of full capacity
    D) A & B & C

The idea of leaving a long gun one round short and not chambered ready to defend at a half-second notice seems a bit odd to me. Especially if one carry's one in the pipe of a sidearm. The thinking does not equate in my head.

As with any firearm, mistakes, misfires, murphy's law, and a host of other things occur with said firearm when most needed. Why then, would one risk the fore-arm bars jamming/sticking, shell not feeding properly, or any slight hiccup of any kind while manipulating a manual weapon system at what might be, the most important time of you life?
    If the weapon malfunctioned while racking the second shot, its sucks but you got one long gun shot off before you had to transition to a back up sidearm. Versus a half asleep, WTF just happened to my gun? My long gun just crapped out on me? Duhhh!!! All the while standing there wondering what to do. Its time wasted in a life or death situation thats critical. You've already announced your presense, intentions, and location to said bad guy and to top it off, holding a non-functioning weapon. Just doesn't make sense to me.

My suggestion, fully load any weapon system you plan on using for self defense. This would include one in the chamber with whatever safety's on that are installed with the firearm.

Its much quicker to use a back-up weapon than try to perform drills for an uknown stoppage or failure to feed, fire, or function while under stress in god knows what for conditions. With at least one shot off, most bad guys aren't hanging around to find out who or what is shooting at them vs a muttered God Damn gun or knowing the sound of a malfunctioning firearm and use that split second of time to go from the defense (running away) to the offense and attack.

CL

(Allegheny County)

While my SG is not my go to home defense weapon, mine is ready to go.

I doubt seriously that I would be in a situation where I would have to "fight my way to a longarm" and further don't know how I would react with pistol in hand if there ever comes a bump in the night (drop pistol/grab SG ???).
    I'll have no holster, I will fight with what I grab first.

With an infinite # of scenarios possible, perhaps I would grab the shotty under certain circumstances but think my handgun might be my #1 choice ( I'm better with it, it's shorter to handle).

Having said that, I would like to take a Shotgun class to learn more about it AND how to use it.

27twofingersstilldontworkhand

Quote Originally Posted by Metz View Post
    Veeeeeery bad idea. You want to be the first one, who dials 911. Otherwise the perp might report you as "OMG, I walked into the wrong house by mistake and this guy is trying to shoot me!!!!! HELP!!!! HELP!!!!"
    Ergo the "unrealistic" caveat.
    When the SHTF......be the fan.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast