Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Short Barrel .45 ACP JHP expansion

I've been hearing a lot about JHP rounds of all brands and popular models failing to expand reliably from compact/subcompact pistols. I own a Glock 36 which is a .45 ACP and sports a 3.78inch barrel. This is my primary carry weapon and I currently have it loaded with Winchester PDX-1 bonded rounds. The rounds cycle flawlessly through the weapon, as does pretty much everything...it's a Glock . However, I'd like to know what any of your experiences are with this conundrum. I don't think I'm alone when i say, "If I ever needed to defend myself I would want my munition to preform as intended" let alone become a FMJ round that could potentially endanger others.

I find this video's results particularly unsettling...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwFKvfXnGHk

Additionally, I'm interested in purchasing some Ranger-T and Federal HST rounds. I've researched and seen nothing but great results from these rounds, but again I am still uncertain of how they will preform out of a small barrel.

All input is appreciated. I simply do not have the time or money to put forth into my own ballistics testing right now, so personal accounts are what I'm hinging on.

(Delaware County)

Default Re: Short Barrel .45 ACP JHP expansion

Those rounds should perform pretty well. I use the Ranger T out of my Glock 19 an 26. I know that it performs well out of the 19 and adequately out of 26. Best performance out of a short barrel will probably be anything loaded with the Barnes DPX copper round. CorBon and Hornady manufacture excellent rounds with this load. It is pricey, but it works.

(Susquehanna County)

Think about Mag-Safe

here's the website
    http://magsafeonline.com/

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

(Montgomery County)

IMHO

for a big heavy, slow round... if it expands...GREAT... if not.... it is still a .45 cal slug.

I have an Ultra Carry II... 230gr Federal Hydrashock.

THey feed well, hit hard, if they expand... even better.

I do not recommend pre fragmented rounds (JMHO).

(Mercer County)

Quote Originally Posted by MrVenneri View Post
    I've been hearing a lot about JHP rounds of all brands and popular models failing to expand reliably from compact/subcompact pistols. I own a Glock 36 which is a .45 ACP and sports a 3.78inch barrel. This is my primary carry weapon and I currently have it loaded with Winchester PDX-1 bonded rounds. The rounds cycle flawlessly through the weapon, as does pretty much everything...it's a Glock . However, I'd like to know what any of your experiences are with this conundrum. I don't think I'm alone when i say, "If I ever needed to defend myself I would want my munition to preform as intended" let alone become a FMJ round that could potentially endanger others.

I find this video's results particularly unsettling...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwFKvfXnGHk

Additionally, I'm interested in purchasing some Ranger-T and Federal HST rounds. I've researched and seen nothing but great results from these rounds, but again I am still uncertain of how they will preform out of a small barrel.

All input is appreciated. I simply do not have the time or money to put forth into my own ballistics testing right now, so personal accounts are what I'm hinging on.
    Might give Speer 230 grain Gold Dot Short Barrel ammo strong consideration. I believe the bullet in this version of their ammo, has a HP cavity engineered for better, lower speed reliable expansion. Although I can't say I have any hands on experience with this product, for comparison, I can tell and show you what their std 230 grain Gold Dots handloaded at various velocities and test mediums achieve.

Bullet shown to the far left and center were fired into wet newspaper, far right, water jugs. Water jugs in my experience make for picture perfect mushrooms, but I feel they over exaggerate actual expansion compared to flesh. Far left had an impact velocity in the middle 700 fps, middle was low 800's, far right 840 fps. Gun used was a SIG Sauer P220.

Despite the far more dramatic appearance when viewed from the side, frontal expansion is similar, and why I like these bullets. Feeding is good in my experience, they are one of the first bonded handgun bullets, and can be driven much harder and still stay together. It should be noted these bullets were purchased many years ago, and I believe the design has changed slightly. I'd say if Speer says they have developed a bullet that expands well from short barrels/lower velocities, I'd tend to believe them.
    Last edited by Guns N'at; March 11th, 2011 at 02:52 PM.

Thanks everyone for your input. I'll be looking into those Gold Dot rounds that were specifically made for short barrels. I had no idea that they even existed so I'll be shopping around.

(Dauphin County)

I spent a year looking for .357 mag short barrel gold dots before I found the component bullets, and started making my own. Speer lists short barrel loads in their manual. Even the tips were hard to find. Good luck

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by victory View Post
    Best performance out of a short barrel will probably be anything loaded with the Barnes DPX copper round. CorBon and Hornady manufacture excellent rounds with this load.
    Hornady doesn't use the Barnes bullet(XPB or TAC -XP).