Default Darrell Clarke's Gun Control Letter To Gov. Corbett

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/c...v_Corbett.html

January 17, 2011

The Honorable Tom Corbett, Governor

Commonwealth of Pennsylvania

225 Main Capitol Building

Harrisburg, PA 17120

Governor Corbett,

I am writing to respectfully request a meeting with you to discuss how the City and the Commonwealth can find some common ground regarding gun violence prevention.

Unfortunately, the recent tragedy in Arizona has once again highlighted the vital importance of public safety in our society. This incident is yet another example of the extreme harm that dangerous weapons can cause when in the wrong hands. It is a painful reminder of why gun violence prevention is one of the most important issues affecting our communities.

In 2008 the City Council of Philadelphia passed, and the Mayor signed into law, legislation aimed ensuring that handguns be accessible only to responsible, law abiding individuals. Included were measures allowing the City of Philadelphia to exercise slightly more discretion in the issuance of permits to carry handguns, as well as a prohibition on assault weapons in the City. This legislation does not, and was never intended to, abridge the rights of responsible, law abiding citizens. They do, however, represent what we believe is necessary to help protect our residents from the kind of individuals bent on creating mayhem and carnage in our communities.

Recognizing the ideological differences present, I remain optimistic that common ground can be found. I truly believe that increased dialogue amongst State and City leaders can yield reasonable compromises. It is in this spirit that I respectfully request your audience to further discuss this critical issue.

Sincerely,

Darrell L. Clarke

Councilman, 5th District

Majority Whip
    Also, the "Florida Loophole" bill and four other gun control measures are on city council's agenda next Thursday.

http://legislation.phila.gov/meeting...28Short%29.pdf

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Darrell Clarke's Gun Control Letter To Gov. Corbett

You may ask why Philadelphia City Council wastes their time on issues such as this which have already been shot down in court numerous times.

I give you, a look inside the machination of city council. Representative government at its, well, typical behavior...

http://www.philly.com/inquirer/curre...on_a_show.html

(Philadelphia County)

"Slightly" more discretion to deny carry permits? Are you fvcking kidding me? Daryll Clarke needs to shut his filthy stupid ghetto trash semen hole, respectfully, of course: ).

Seriously though, if he considers it perfectly reasonable to deny an ltcf to an applicant who has unpaid parking tickets, or had the misfortune of being a victim of a burglary in which his firearms were stolen, you have to wonder what else he thinks is reasonable.

I see no reason why I, a middle class Guy who has never even had any contact with police, should be subject to more restrictions than any of my suburban friends simply because I live in the city.

Our very first priority should be to push for a truly uniform statewide system for ltcf issuance with purely objective standards. Local governments have to be bypassed entirely from the process.

(Lehigh County)

Because you aren't a member of the ruling class.
    The last thing I want to do is hurt you... but believe me, it's on the damned list.

(York County)

I'm shocked that he missed the part about how passing, and signing those illegal and null and void laws were state criminal offenses committed by the city council and the mayor.
    " The Seeds of Oppression Will One Day Bear The Fruit of Rebellion."

(Wayne County)

It would be great if Corbett would write a letter back to Clarke informing him that when philly tries to pass their own gun laws they are breaking the law.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by PhillyAR View Post
    It would be great if Corbett would write a letter back to Clarke informing him that when philly tries to pass their own gun laws they are breaking the law.
    QFT 123456789

(Butler County)

I can only conclude they do it to cost the FOAC, NRA, GOA, et al money. Because it'll fall to a test case, and Philthy will lose on preemption grounds, and it'll go away.

If I had the coin, I'd be heading out there they day they went to pass it to desperately attempt to become said test case.

(Berks County)

I think we are missing an opportunity. If we give all the law abiding citizens of Philly time to move to the suburbs, we can export all those who have earned the distinction of receiving extra scrutiny to Philly. Most of them are already there anyway.

(Montgomery County)

Somebody wrote that letter for him....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast