Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
    (Mercer County)

Default Ruger LCP .380 thoughts and comments

JUst want to get everyones thoughts and views on the ruger LCP. Likes and dislikes.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Ruger LCP .380 thoghts and comments

Like the fact that it disappears when carrying, never had an issue at the range with it.

Don't like the .380

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by msp701 View Post
    Like the fact that it disappears when carrying, never had an issue at the range with it.

Don't like the .380

That's where I landed with it. Ruger doesn't want you putting +P ammo through it (although some people do with no issues), and I couldn't help feeling that I was leaving the house with an "inferior" weapon, despite the staggering evidence that .380 is an adequate round. It's also very thin, which greatly aids in concealability, but moved around a bit in my meaty hands, and something a bit wider would have been more comfortable. I sold it and will be buying a Kahr CM9 at the end of the month. YMMV of course.

(Mercer County)

I feel it is a solid little gun. I do prefer my glock but as a back up how could you go wrong. Light weight and accurae. Has enough stoping power.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by TheWolff View Post
    That's where I landed with it. Ruger doesn't want you putting +P ammo through it (although some people do with no issues), and I couldn't help feeling that I was leaving the house with an "inferior" weapon, despite the staggering evidence that .380 is an adequate round. It's also very thin, which greatly aids in concealability, but moved around a bit in my meaty hands, and something a bit wider would have been more comfortable. I sold it and will be buying a Kahr CM9 at the end of the month. YMMV of course.
    I had a Ruger LCP with CT laser. I liked it as a concealed carry weapon. It absolutely disappears in any type of clothing. It is most notably "un-fun" to shoot, but it is not a range gun anyways. I have a Glock-19, so I wanted to consolidate ammo and I did buy a Kahr CM9 now I only have to buy 9mm. On a side note, I traded in the Ruger for a Springfield 1911 at a gun show, so now I am buying .45 ammo. I am developing the "sickness" ,most gun owners have. Too much good stuff out there. The Kahr is only slightly wider than the Ruger, but still easy to conceal.

(Allegheny County)

I've carried mine every day for a few years now.

The cons: it's not fun to shoot (a bit snappy and hard to hold onto; wants to jump out of my hand), the sights aren't great, the round size & count are limiting and it can be picky about certain types of ammo.

The pros: it's small and super concealable which is great because carrying something bigger is uncomfortable to me, it's been reliable as heck with the ammo I carry and it's accurate at its intended close distances.

Bottom line: I wouldn't consistently carry any of my larger guns so the Ruger fits the bill. I can comfortably have it on me regardless of how I'm dressed and I know it will go "bang" if I need it to. I recommend it.

(Chester County)

If you do end up going with it, I highly recommend the +1 grip extension here. It makes the gun much easier to hold onto. With it and the CT laser, I could rapid fire fist sized groups with one hand. Without it, I felt like I needed to re-grip after every shot to keep it in my hand.

Also, for pocket holsters, Doug at Bear Creek Holsters does an incredible job and will generally ship the same week you order.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by thebearpack View Post
    I've carried mine every day for a few years now.

The cons: it's not fun to shoot (a bit snappy and hard to hold onto; wants to jump out of my hand), the sights aren't great, the round size & count are limiting and it can be picky about certain types of ammo.

The pros: it's small and super concealable which is great because carrying something bigger is uncomfortable to me, it's been reliable as heck with the ammo I carry and it's accurate at its intended close distances.

Bottom line: I wouldn't consistently carry any of my larger guns so the Ruger fits the bill. I can comfortably have it on me regardless of how I'm dressed and I know it will go "bang" if I need it to. I recommend it.
    I cant really argue with anything you said in your post. I concur totally, but I upgraded to the Kahr CM9 totally on caliber alone. I liked my Ruger as a carry gun too. I would highly recommend the LCP for anyone wanting a reliable concealed carry weapon.

(Mercer County)

I'm going to go with the taurus 380, the reviews are about the same but the taurus is only $202 rather then spending $330 for basicaly the same gun, there both good guns though!!!!

I think that previous posts summarize it pretty well.

I have had one for a few years now. It is the gun I carry more than any other. It is so easy to carry that you almost forget that you have it.

It is true - it is not a fun gun to shoot, but it is not meant as a range gun. I have read enough to feel comfortable carrying "just a .380" - as some say. Many don't carry because it isn't convenient or comfortable to carry their larger caliber gun. You won't have that issue with the LCP.

I think if you have realistic expecations and you learn to shoot you will probably love it. Any pistol that is that small is a bit tricky to shoot accurately. With practice, you will be surprised just how accurate the gun is.

That said, I have other pistols that I also like. You can never have enough...

Good luck!

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast