Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Hunters losing access to state lands

I have lived in the Pine Creek valley since 1992. Before that I lived in Trout Run up Lycoming Creek. My family and I have always enjoyed PA's state forest lands weather it be for hunting or any other form of recreation. Through the years we have noticed more and more roads being closed to the general public or becoming administrative use roads. The creation of Wild Areas has led to many access restrictions and DCNR plans on expanding these Wild Areas. Refer to DCNR's State Forest Resource Management Plan, most notably the Ecological Considerations section. According to my rep's office, this trend has been occuring across the state.

This past deer season, the state decided to close McIntyre Road just east of Ralston, Pa. The 4 mile road starts at Rock Run Road and dead ends on top of McIntyre Mountain in northern Lycoming County. Many hunters and local residents are upset at the state's decision. I'd say the majority of the upset are over 60 years of age. A group of us have developed a petition and we've had a really good response so far. Currently one of the petitions is located at Bittner's General Store (the sporting goods side) in Trout Run, PA. If you're driving up Routes 15 or 14, or live in the area, please consider signing it. PM me if you live in the Jersey Shore or Pine Creek Area and are interested in signing. Thanks!

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: Hunters losing access to state lands

Quote Originally Posted by Tiadaghton44 View Post
    I have lived in the Pine Creek valley since 1992. Before that I lived in Trout Run up Lycoming Creek. My family and I have always enjoyed PA's state forest lands weather it be for hunting or any other form of recreation. Through the years we have noticed more and more roads being closed to the general public or becoming administrative use roads. The creation of Wild Areas has led to many access restrictions and DCNR plans on expanding these Wild Areas. Refer to DCNR's State Forest Resource Management Plan, most notably the Ecological Considerations section. According to my rep's office, this trend has been occuring across the state.

This past deer season, the state decided to close McIntyre Road just east of Ralston, Pa. The 4 mile road starts at Rock Run Road and dead ends on top of McIntyre Mountain in northern Lycoming County. Many hunters and local residents are upset at the state's decision. I'd say the majority of the upset are over 60 years of age. A group of us have developed a petition and we've had a really good response so far. Currently one of the petitions is located at Bittner's General Store (the sporting goods side) in Trout Run, PA. If you're driving up Routes 15 or 14, or live in the area, please consider signing it. PM me if you live in the Jersey Shore or Pine Creek Area and are interested in signing. Thanks!
    So closing the roads did what stopped access or what?

(Carbon County)

Quote Originally Posted by Tiadaghton44 View Post

You have my sympathy. I also get over 60 reference. The ways of the Pa Game Commission are strange, mysterious, and stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by A-5 View Post
    So closing the roads did what stopped access or what?
    Because of the road closure, the only way to access the area is by foot. The top of the mountain is relatively flat. The sides are very steep and rocky, some areas are vertical rock ledges. The walk would require climbing 900 in elevation over the difficult terrain. McIntyre Road is the only road that can take a vehicle to the top of the mountain and has served that purpose since the late 1800s. The property is managed by DCNR. The previous owner (a coal company) was approached by hunting camps to purchase the land. The owner declined and sold the property to the state so that everybody could hunt on it.

(Chester County)

I think I may know the road you speak of. Is it the road that banks right and crosses Rock Run Creek? Being Rock Run rd outlines the Rock Run creek. I was fishing at Rock Run this past spring and I think that is the road I took for a nice scenic drive after fishing. Sorry to hear they closed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowy View Post
    I think I may know the road you speak of. Is it the road that banks right and crosses Rock Run Creek? Being Rock Run rd outlines the Rock Run creek. I was fishing at Rock Run this past spring and I think that is the road I took for a nice scenic drive after fishing. Sorry to hear they closed it.
    McIntyre Road is a left off of Rock Run Road not very far east from Ralston. You may have been on Yellow Dog Road. Try a search on Google Earth of "Ralston, Pa" you'll find them. Yes, it is quite sad when the state decides to do this sort of thing. They basically tell us that it is all in the name of preserving the Pa Wilds or because of the "biodiversity vision" that DCNR embraces nowadays.

It always pissed me off they close Hazard road in Farrandsville near Lock Haven... I think the only time its open is for rifle season. I was only ever on that road once, all other times its locked up...
    ΑΣΦ

Quote Originally Posted by Adam M Geer View Post
    It always pissed me off they close Hazard road in Farrandsville near Lock Haven... I think the only time its open is for rifle season. I was only ever on that road once, all other times its locked up...
    I know the road you are talking about. I normally attempt to enter it from the north end at Haneyville. I've only driven it once myself. That's a Game Commission road. It never surprized me when I found the gate shut. I always wanted to try some late season coyote hunting along the open areas but the gate is always shut after deer season.