Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Montgomery County)

Default Will I be able to purchase a firearm?

Hi guys let me say first of all that I'm new here and will hopefully be a gun owner in PA very soon although I have a few concerns. I ended up in some trouble with the law a few years back when I was 18 and ended up with a Possession of Paraphernalia charge for having a marijuana pipe in my car. I was arrested and convicted of possession of paraphernalia in court and was enrolled in PA's ARD (Accelerated Rehabilitative Disposition) program because I refused to be labeled an addict by going with a Section 17 defense. I get off my unsupervised probation in one month and would like to purchase a rifle and shotgun for hunting purposes. I have a completely clean record other than this and I'd like to know if any of my past will interfere with me purchasing a firearm. Thanks in advance, RA

Default Re: Will I be able to purchase a firearm?

ARD is an alternative to conviction. But you could still be denied an LTCF if you're currently a user of drugs.

So at the end of ARD you will or will not have a conviction record?

If yes and the possible max sentence was < 1yr IIRC you're OK.

However if you do have any conviction of any drug related crimes you will never get a LTCF in Pa without an expunged record or pardon.
    FUCK BIDEN

(Butler County)

I'm thinking ARD includes being able to have your record expunged after one year. Mine did for DUI in the late 80's. Might check into it.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    ARD is an alternative to conviction. But you could still be denied an LTCF if you're currently a user of drugs.
    Well currently I use no drugs other than the occasional drink haha, I learned my lesson after my first run in with the police. Plus guns and drugs don't mix.

By alternative to conviction you mean I was never convicted of any crime? So currently when I get off my probation I should be able to go purchase a rifle or shotgun with little to no problems? Also as long as I continue to not use drugs and stay out of trouble I'm still eligible for a LTCF.

Quote Originally Posted by RadicalApex View Post
    Well currently I use no drugs other than the occasional drink haha, I learned my lesson after my first run in with the police. Plus guns and drugs don't mix.

By alternative to conviction you mean I was never convicted of any crime? So currently when I get off my probation I should be able to go purchase a rifle or shotgun with little to no problems? Also as long as I continue to not use drugs and stay out of trouble I'm still eligible for a LTCF.
    I have no opinion on your specific case. But ARD is not a conviction, it's an "Alternative" to prosecution. Successful completion of an ARD program usually results in a retroactive dismissal of all criminal charges, and usually allows for expungement of the arrest record.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    I have no opinion on your specific case. But ARD is not a conviction, it's an "Alternative" to prosecution. Successful completion of an ARD program usually results in a retroactive dismissal of all criminal charges, and usually allows for expungement of the arrest record.
    Great thanks for all the help. I guess I'll have to call my lawyer if I need anything more specific to my case then.

I have never done ARD, but from what I believe I know from friends going through it, you have to have your attorney get the record expunged after a year or so. It doesn't just happen on it's own. I know it might sound obvious, but this step seems to trip up quite a few people.
    I'll vote for Romney when he promises not to run in 2016.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Big Chuck View Post
    I have never done ARD, but from what I believe I know from friends going through it, you have to have your attorney get the record expunged after a year or so. It doesn't just happen on it's own. I know it might sound obvious, but this step seems to trip up quite a few people.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Indeed. Follow up.
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here