Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Westmoreland County)

Default Best way to sell Handgun

I want to get rid of my S&W M&P Compact 9mm. The gun is in brand new condition, but after a couple of hundred rounds, I just don't like it. I checked w/ one gun dealer & he was going to give me $300 on trade. This seems way low to me. I will check w/ more gun dealers, but, is this all that I can expect to get them to give me for it? If I sell it on consignment, what can I expect to get?

Default Re: Best way to sell Handgun

Quote Originally Posted by MMH View Post
    I want to get rid of my S&W M&P Compact 9mm. The gun is in brand new condition, but after a couple of hundred rounds, I just don't like it. I checked w/ one gun dealer & he was going to give me $300 on trade. This seems way low to me. I will check w/ more gun dealers, but, is this all that I can expect to get them to give me for it? If I sell it on consignment, what can I expect to get?
    Dealers if you sell it will only give you about 60% of it's worth, due to their needing to make some money when they resell it.

When I sell something on Consignment, I usually take about 10% off what I paid for it as my price, most dealers also include a fee for their service on consignment, make sure you know what their cost is percentage or flat fee.

Selling it outright is your best option if you can
    Honesta Mors Turpi Vita Potior ~ 3%

(Westmoreland County)

I've got some news for you; if you put a couple of hundred rounds through it, it's NOT in brand new condition! It's now a used firearm and the dealer sounds like he was making you a fair offer on a used S&W.

As for consignment, find out what the average market value (The REAL average selling price, NOT what someones inflated imagination says) and work with whatever dealer you are using. Most take a certain percentage of the sale price. Some charge less of a percentage and tack on fees and taxes. Some charge a flat fee that is a bit more but there are no extra fees, taxes, etc.

The advantage of consignment is you usually get a higher in-pocket return but itn takes longer. Outright sale gets you instant cash but you usually get less.

Whatever consignment route you go, ask what are the terms of sale. This way you don't get any suprises. Good luck.

(Berks County)

most people looking for used want a steal and the seller wants top dollar. That's why the guns in the classified on this forum don't seem to move.

(Schuylkill County)

I don't mean to be a jackass, but I did laugh at you when you said brand new condition after a few hundred rounds fired. On the other side of things, you need to remember that dealers are trying to make a few bucks as well, so they're not going to offer you top dollar. Try posting it in the classified section here on PAFOA, maybe you'll get some good trade prospects. At least it won't cost you anything.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by ScotsGuards View Post
    I've got some news for you; if you put a couple of hundred rounds through it, it's NOT in brand new condition! It's now a used firearm and the dealer sounds like he was making you a fair offer on a used S&W.

As for consignment, find out what the average market value (The REAL average selling price, NOT what someones inflated imagination says)...
    I said that it was brand new condition, and not that it is brand new. Couple of hundred rounds and it drops the value in half compared to a new one? Sorry, but $300 does not sound very fair to me.

I'm trying to determine what an average market price is for a gun in comparable condition & thought I would start by posting here.

(Lehigh County)

They sell for about $450 -$500 used at the gun shops. You should be able to offer it for $350 - $450 in the classifieds on here and sell it fairly quick. I have had much success selling and buying here on the classifieds and have been able to meet in person. Good luck!

(Snyder County)

I said that it was brand new condition, and not that it is brand new. Couple of hundred rounds and it drops the value in half compared to a new one? Sorry, but $300 does not sound very fair to me.

I'm trying to determine what an average market price is for a gun in comparable condition & thought I would start by posting here.
    With a current average new at $450 I would say you might get $350 if you would sell it in the classified section...

What do you not like about it? It is a quality pistol, but the trigger ain't the best out of the box. I've shot a couple of these new, and shot a friend's with a few thousand rounds. Plus, he dry fires it from time to time. What a difference some time does on this trigger.

NIB on gun broker there are about a dozen starting @ $479 on up but not one bid when I checked.

Used with a few hundred rds in great condition I would keep it or be happy w/$300.
    I feel in this climate that it needs to be a special gun to command a fair or better than average price.
    Good time to buy .
    Just my observations.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast